Senior Citizen parents buying new car- NEED ADVICE!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Citizen parents buying new car- NEED ADVICE!

Walking
    Thanks

Question Senior Citizen parents buying new car- NEED ADVICE!

Hello all,

I need some advice from this forum as my retired parents have decided to purchase a new vehicle and I've been instructed to basically find one for them. They currently have two vehicles- an '07 Impala LTZ and an '04 Cadillac Deville. The Impala is what my mom primarily drives and the Cadillac is the car which they take on trips and what my dad, who doesn't drive too much, uses. They're replacing their '04 Cadillac and because this is their primary vehicle, they have some specific wants/needs.

-Needs to sit up fairly high
    -Comfortable leather seats
    -Decently Sized trunk (dad golfs)
    -Fairly powerful engine
    -Easy to get in/out of
    -Controls are not overly complicated
    -Seats must be heated
    -Has to have some type of rear parking aid either camera or the beeps
    -Spacious interior
    -Navigation system would be preferable but not necessary
    -Dad also has back problems so the seats MUST have adjustable lumbar.

This is basically the short list of wants/needs and they're willing to spend up to $60K-ish to get exactly what they want. Because they keep their vehicles for quite a long time and put a fairly low amount of miles (the Cadillac only has 80K), they don't care about gas mileage or resale value as any priority. They drive to Arizona for the wintertime and will drive their new vehicle out there so comfort is big on their list. I've been researching a bit this past week for vehicles that are good for senior citizens and I'm looking for more opinions or suggestions from this forum. Not all the vehicles I've researched are GM but this forum seems knowledgeable about all brands. Here's the list:

Buick Lucerne CXS
    Cadillac DTS Premium
    Lexus LS460
    Toyota Avalon Limited
    Ford Taurus SHO
    Lincoln MKS AWD

If you have any other suggestions, please add them! They're pretty much open to all suggestions.

I've been trying to condense the list even more so when they actually go to look at vehicles, they don't have to go to multiple dealerships and test drive each one. My dad would much rather drive 2-3 vehicles and decide from there whether than try everything, he doesn't have much patience with car dealers. Any opinions on the listed vehicles or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Senior Citizen parents buying new car- NEED ADVICE!

The Lucerne and DTS are both old and have been discontinued, not sure how that would factor into your decision. The LS460 is an excellent, modern and well made car, and out of your list it would be my personal choice (though I would go used or wait for the next one if buying new). It is however quite pricy and more geared towards isolated luxury, which is in contrast to the Taurus SHO. Again, not sure what your parents prefer in terms of driving style. The MKS is a solid choice as well, not my personal cup of tea but I can see your parents being happy with it.

I think it would be wise to have them wait until the XTS goes on sale if they're not in a hurry. It seems to me that the XTS is the exact type of car they're after.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

You can probably find a great deal on the DTS or Lucerene right about now. But with that said, how would they respond to the technology in the SHO? If you think they'd be comfortable with all the electronic wizzardry, you can't go wrong with the Taurus, in any trim.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

I am pretty sure a Taurus limited will serve just as well as the SHO unless your folks are lead footed. Depending on those criteria they might get away with a highly optioned SEL too.
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 05-25-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

vsd
    Thanks

Hyundai Genesis Sedan or for $60K you could do a Hyundai Equus. If they are looking for a brand new vehicle, the Lexus is out of their price range. The Buick and Caddy are outdated junk from the embarrassing days of GM's past. The Taurus SHO is more performance oriented than comfort. I haven't the slightest clue about the Lincoln.

Walking
    Thanks

Wow fast replies!

My dad is the "I want it NOW" type of person, once he gets an idea into his head, he pursues it until he gets results. He decided last week that for the summer, he wants a new vehicle so by the end of next week, he better have one. He's very stubborn.

I'll try to answer all the questions. As far as the Lucerne and DTS, they personally wouldn't be MY cup of tea but at age 70-something, I think my dad would be fine in either. He wants a comfortable ride above all else so if that helps any.

If the Taurus SHO isn't geared toward comfort, then I'd probably go down to the Limited trim. My parents want some power in their vehicle, my dad has been driving V8's most of his life and I don't know if he really wants to step down to a V6 even if I can convince him that V6's nowadays are equally as powerful as older V8's.

Hyundai would be out of the question, he won't even consider a Korean-built car. He's very...old fashioned. He refers to any Kia or Hyundai as a pile of junk, he would never even consider one so it's useless trying to convince him. He felt the same about Japanese cars until a friend of theirs bought a Lexus, my dad thought it was pretty damn nice.

As far as the pricepoint goes on the LS460, he would pay the extra money if he felt it was worth it. Price isn't the big issue here, it's more of getting something he will be comfortable driving. It has to be bigger, fairly powerful, and has some luxury amenities that are intuitive to use.

Thanks

MKS sounds like the best blend, along with the Taurus. The might feel a little tight inside from the styling compared to the DTS/Impala, but they do sit up relatively high.

Are they interested in crossovers? If the looks aren't too much for them the Taurus/MKS crossover counterparts, the Flex and MKT, would be perfect, especially the Flex for entry/exit. I would say Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX as well but the technology in well-equipped models may be a bit much.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    MKS sounds like the best blend, along with the Taurus. The might feel a little tight inside from the styling compared to the DTS/Impala, but they do sit up relatively high.

Are they interested in crossovers? If the looks aren't too much for them the Taurus/MKS crossover counterparts, the Flex and MKT, would be perfect, especially the Flex for entry/exit. I would say Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX as well but the technology in well-equipped models may be a bit much.
    Crossover is the first thing I suggested as well but...my dad wasn't as thrilled as I was. I think a crossover would be the best blend of everything they want but I guess they'll be driving it. My boss drives a Lexus RX350 and that's the exact crossover I would tell them to get if they ever wanted to look at one, it's probably about the nicest all-around vehicle I've been in. As dad gets older, I think he'll appreciate the ease of entering/exiting a crossover but then again, he's a stubborn old man and convincing him of change is like talking to brick wall.

Is the Lincoln MKS that much smaller than a Lucerne or DTS? I guess I've never been in one but looking at the exterior, they seem like a good-sized vehicle. I know the Lucerne and DTS aren't the GM of new (love the new CTS and Lacrosse) but for my parent's purpose, would they be good vehicles? The LS460 would also be a great choice but I wonder if all the technology goodies will be a bit much for my dad to use? He's from the old school, never has used a computer even!

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Can't go wrong with the DTS. Big, comfy, and has all the options he needs without the whiz-bang gadgetry. Toss in the safety and security of OnStar (i.e. the LifeAlert of cars), and there's no contest.

2b2
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    The Lucerne and DTS are both old and have been discontinued, not sure how that would factor into your decision...
    the Taurus and MKS are probably going to get major updates possibly as soon as next year - the Taurus to a new global platform!
    altho
    for now, the Taurus also has Multi Contour front Seats with Active Motion™ as an option
    and doesN'T come with MyFordTouch (just Sync) ((which might actually be preferable for your parents?))
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two become a law firm, and three or more become a Congress."

Thanks

If your parents liked the DeVille, why not stick with the DTS? Other than the radio/navigation system, many of the controls would still be the same or very similar to what they have now. (From working in the business, I found that this is important to many senior drivers)

The DTS has a similar, but updated look compared to the '04 models. Sure, they're not the most modern cars on the market. But they are among the most comfortable and ride as smooth or better than almost anything on the road.

Also, they could most certainly get one, even a Platinum model, for a "bargain" price. There's nothing wrong with saving a few clams even if you could possibly spend more. The DTS may not be the dream car of many enthusiasts(Me included). But when you get down to it, it's a pretty damn good car. That is, it does exactly what it was built to do: Transport the driver and passengers in great comfort and relative luxury... And it does it well. Most folks who have them, love them.

As for the DTS' sister car, the Lucerne Super (The CXS had been discontinued earlier), it's a great alternative to the DTS. However, they may prove to be hard to find. The uppermost trim level Lucerne was never a good seller for Buick. Most dealerships at this point do not stock the Supers, as the dealerships would rather stock upper level (CXS) LaCrosse models, as it is Buick's most popular sedan on the retail level. The LaCrosse CXS comes with the powerful 3.6 V6, which has similar power to the old Northstar V8. But the cabin may prove to be a little tight compared to both the DTS and Lucerne, and the trunk is smaller as well.

Anyway, best wishes on your search.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    I am pretty sure a Taurus limited will serve just as well as the SHO unless your folks are lead footed. Depending on those criteria they might be away will a high optioned SEL too.
    Better. Unless they want to spend a lot of money. Some people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette40 View Post
    Wow fast replies!

My dad is the "I want it NOW" type of person, once he gets an idea into his head, he pursues it until he gets results. He decided last week that for the summer, he wants a new vehicle so by the end of next week, he better have one. He's very stubborn.

I'll try to answer all the questions. As far as the Lucerne and DTS, they personally wouldn't be MY cup of tea but at age 70-something, I think my dad would be fine in either. He wants a comfortable ride above all else so if that helps any.

If the Taurus SHO isn't geared toward comfort, then I'd probably go down to the Limited trim. My parents want some power in their vehicle, my dad has been driving V8's most of his life and I don't know if he really wants to step down to a V6 even if I can convince him that V6's nowadays are equally as powerful as older V8's.

Hyundai would be out of the question, he won't even consider a Korean-built car. He's very...old fashioned. He refers to any Kia or Hyundai as a pile of junk, he would never even consider one so it's useless trying to convince him. He felt the same about Japanese cars until a friend of theirs bought a Lexus, my dad thought it was pretty damn nice.

As far as the pricepoint goes on the LS460, he would pay the extra money if he felt it was worth it. Price isn't the big issue here, it's more of getting something he will be comfortable driving. It has to be bigger, fairly powerful, and has some luxury amenities that are intuitive to use.
    Taurus Limited.
    Chrysler 300C RWD with safety tech package, about $42,000. http://www.chrysler.com/hostc/bmo/CU...2DT/summary.do
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 05-25-2011 at 08:10 PM.

13Soul 11 200 V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99Golf TDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

"There are really no last, final campaigns. Each generation must renew and win again for itself, the precious gift of liberty, and the sacred heritage of freedom." Ronald Wilson Reagan

Thanks

Have them get the 2012 Chrysler 300C Executive and they'll think you're the smartest son ever.

Upscale looks and interior, great engine, and very reasonably priced.

If they really don't want to wait a few months, then the normal 300C would be a fine substitute.
    Last edited by Titanic; 05-25-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: I accidentally a letter.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

Arizona snows in some places. That said I wouldn't recommend RWD cars unless you actually know how to drive in the snow. To be honest the Taurus is the best bet. The MKS is also a good buy.... until you realize that you are paying $10k more for a few lincoln badges and different sheetmetal.

But if no snow, I'd say a Hyundai Equis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Have them get the 2012 Chrysler 300C Executive and they'll think you're the smartest son ever.

Upscale looks and interior, great engine, and very reasonably priced.

If they really don't want to wait a few months, then the normal 300C would be a find substitute.
    The 300 or a non-SHO Taurus would probably be their best bet.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information