Rear seat leg room: a Giagastormer rant!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear seat leg room: a Giagastormer rant!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Rear seat leg room: a Giagastormer rant!

Rear Seat Leg Room

-Giagastormer

How often do you read in a comparison test "Lows: lack of legroom in rear seat"? Ok, fine. "Would have finished better in comparison if rear seat legroom was more abundent." Bull****************.

This gets me going EVERY time I read that in a magazine. Or even when someone here at GMI (not going to mention any names) "The LaCrosse would be a better car if there were more legroom in the rear seat". Where do you sit when you drive people! Unless you're 80 years old and car pooling all your about to die friends to BINGO every Friday, then why should rear seat legroom be a factor in your purchase? Well, maybe you have a couple kids. Ok, if that's the case, you're most likely going to get a minivan/suv anyways because of the practicality.

There was ONE person I have actually known that didn't purchase a certain car because of the rear seat legroom. A guy my dad use to work with buys a new Seville/Deville every 2 years. It was time for him to buy a new Caddy a couple of months ago, and he heard about the new STS. He was so confident in Cadillac, he ordered one without driving it, I don't even think he sat in one (if so, not for long). He then road in one and couldn't believe that there wasn't as much legroom as there was in his Seville. That day he cancelled his order for his STS and bought a Deville instead. I was puzzled why he didn't get the new from the ground up STS over the aged Deville. Because legroom was that important to him, he wanted his passengers to travel in comfort.

But if you were at the Buick dealership ready to sign the papers for that beautiful LaCrosse and it occured to you "Well, my 13 year old son would be more comfortable in a Chrysler 300 because it has an extra inch of legroom". No! If you were so concerned about legroom, than buy a **************** CSV!

Honest to god people, if you're buying the car for yourself (and maybe your wife), you are a complete moron to sway away from something you really like (LaCrosse) for something that has a little more rear seat legroom so future passengers can be a little more comfortable. It just blows my mind. Whenever my family goes shopping for a new car, they could give two squirts a piss how much legroom is in the rear seat for me. Most women sit with the seat up all the way anyway. And if the passenger needs an extra inch of legroom, is it that difficult for you to move the seat up an inch?

Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree and voice your opinion!

Edit: Before you even think about bashing the hell out of a car because of the rear seat legroom, take a minute to pull your head out of your ass.
    Last edited by giagastormer; 06-04-2005 at 10:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Rear seat leg room: a Giagastormer rant!

Well, being 6'3", legroom is a primary reason for buy a car.
    A lot of people, when they are out looking for cars, look for certain things. I don't believe that people who are in teh process of signing the papers to a car is going to halt the process because of a minor detail like that.
    I believe that peopel will take a look at the cars, and eliminate the ones they don't feel fit the c riteria... and then go sign the papers.

I do have a problem with the STS's rear legroom if the front seat is put all the way back. In fact, it's VERY cramped. It is very surprising to say the least. Maybe Sigma II will rectify that issue, who knows.

Maybe China will export to the US the STS Extended length sedans. hahaha

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Well, being 6'3", legroom is a primary reason for buy a car.
    Yeah, I fully understand that. I'm talking about rear seat legroom. Believe me, I know what it's like to car shop with someone that is 6' 3". My dad is 6' 3" and legroom (and shoulder room) can make or break the purchase of a car for him. That's the primary reason he buys SUV's/Trucks, because of all the room. In a car he puts the seat back all the way and his legs still rest on the doors and center console. And no, don't think he weighs 300 lbs, lol.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

my parents can't stand driving big vans/trucks/suv's... my mom's car is a sentra, and her favorite cars are the mini cooper and the mustang, and finds my dad's taurus too be big and unwieldy. even my dad would prefer smaller cars... but i'm 6ft2... and when i'm home and we go do stuff as a family, its quite a hassle to take two cars, so we have to have at least 1 car where i can fit in the back (both my parents are over 5ft7, so switching seats doesn't help alot). my dad's taurus is fine for leg room (though being one of the curvy 99's its short in the headroom area), but anything smaller wouldn't work.
    Push, dont pull.... cars are only better than carriages if the horses are in the rear!

Thanks

I sort of agree. Rear-seat room is important if you regularly transport more than two family members or friends, otherwise it's sort of a trivial quibble. Actually, if you do have friends and you have a smallish back seat it's sort of funny seeing them squished in the back seat. So a small rear seat can be a plus, actually.

Don't have friends or family? What do you care about a back seat anyway? F*** it and get yourself a two seater.

Member of the "dark side". Oh well, black is my favorite color.

Sorry, I prefer McDonalds.

Thanks

Keep in mind the back seat is often where many couples engage in sexual intercourse, as per tradition. Ha cha cha cha
    Your signature goes in this box. Put a funny quote or something here or delete this message. If you leave this as-is you are a moron.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giagastormer
    Yeah, I fully understand that. I'm talking about rear seat legroom. Believe me, I know what it's like to car shop with someone that is 6' 3". My dad is 6' 3" and legroom (and shoulder room) can make or break the purchase of a car for him. That's the primary reason he buys SUV's/Trucks, because of all the room. In a car he puts the seat back all the way and his legs still rest on the doors and center console. And no, don't think he weighs 300 lbs, lol.

I know you're talkign abotu rear seat room. All my friends are over 6' tall and have broad shoulders. And when we carpool... or when I'm the DD for the night... it would be a god thing for people to be comfortable. The G6 is decent for its size... then again, ti's the extended wheelbase Epsilon. The 9-5 is what I ususally use for going out anyways. Larger and mre comfortable leg and shoulder room. (And the 9-5 gets me more play than the lowly G6.)

I've never foudn trucks/SUV's having more legroom. In fact, they have less knee room. I'm VERY picky. I detest captains chairs. I prefer buckets.

but yeah... roominess in teh rear areas is something I look for. STS didn't have it. But it has enough. Not like a DTS. And I woudl never buy a car site unseen.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 2005 Equinox LS's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont have to worry about that with the Equinox. More than enough. The Bonneville too. Or the 1984 Buick Park Avenue I use sometimes. All have great plenty.
    2008 Chevrolet Impala LS.

1981 Pontiac Bonneville. "The last full sized RWD Bonneville".

1985 Chevrolet Caprice.

2007 Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor.

1986 John Deere Lawn Tractor.

Thanks

Rear leg room is not a big factor for me, but I do prefer sedans over coupes. Yes, I'm in my early 20s.

Plus, I'm not 6+ ft, so I don't pull the seat as far back.
    Last edited by jinushaun; 06-05-2005 at 02:46 AM.

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

4-door cars are designed to have passengers in the rear.

There are MANY 4 door cars on the market.
    Just because you transport people (1, 2 or 3) does not mean that you have to drive a gas-guzzling SUV, or soccer-mom Minivan.
    Do you really think someone that buys an AVEO can even AFFORD a minivan?
    However, when you ARE buying an Aveo, and you often have people in the car, then you want to compare rear legroom in the Echo, Aerio, etc...

Some people don't solely care about themselves. They care for the comfort of others.
    I have seen some back seats that can't accomodate a baby seat due to lack of room.

people that buy a 4-door car instead of a coupe usually do it for the need to transport people.

I think your rant is off-base, and has no real foundation.
    I think you just have issues with your parents who care more about style than your comfort.

If you want a hug, let me know.
    Last edited by Rex Raider; 06-05-2005 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks

I'll pass on the hug, thanks.

I think you're an angry little man who needs to feel big and bad on internet forums by disagreeing with what anyone has to say. If it didn't come out of your mouth, then it must be wrong or off-base. You never agree with anyone, never.

Alot of people prefer the looks and added cargo space of 4-doors. If someone wants a LaCrosse, they have no choice, since they only offer a 4-door and not a coupe.

You are going into the used car market, you should know that there are minivans that are a couple of years old going for the same price as a brand spankin new Aveo.

The backseats that don't even accomodate a baby seat are most likely coupes. I can't think of any 4-door that lacks that much room for a baby seat.

People like the style of 4-doors! Not every purchase is based off your indication of why buying something must be for its intended use.

The thing is Rex, my parents aren't looking at compact cars. I was simply using that as an example. If my dad was looking to buy an Aveo, I think he would take into some consideration my comfort if I was going to be in the backseat for long periods of time. But.......my family buys BIG suv's with alot of legroom. And when we had a Grand Am (4-door), my dad's wife would be happy to move the seat up an extra inch.

Another example! My dad's wife hated the way the Grand Am coupe looked, and that's why they ended up getting a 4-door. She didn't think "Well, it is a 4-door, so I must buy it for its intended use, Rex would be proud".

Like I said, you would be a complete retard to base your purchase off the comfort of future passengers if you have your heart set on a car with a lack of rear seat legroom.

You may continue sitting in the corner of your room pretending you're big and bad.

Thanks

Giaga, the average height for a man is 5 feet 9 inches and the average height for a woman is 5 feet 3 inches. Especially for men (who are usually taller than women), rear seat legroom is an issue. Some people get cramped & complain of space. Me, I'm not even nearly 5 foot 4 inches (last time I went to the doctor, I measured 5 ft. 31/2 in.), and I never have a problem with rear seat legroom.

I personally don't think it is a problem, but others who are 6 feet+, they care. If their feet is cramped, they don't like the car and complain. Many adults sit in the rear seats sometimes, so I guess it matters.

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giagastormer
    I'll pass on the hug, thanks.

I think you're an angry little man who needs to feel big and bad on internet forums by disagreeing with what anyone has to say. If it didn't come out of your mouth, then it must be wrong or off-base. You never agree with anyone, never.

Alot of people prefer the looks and added cargo space of 4-doors. If someone wants a LaCrosse, they have no choice, since they only offer a 4-door and not a coupe.

You are going into the used car market, you should know that there are minivans that are a couple of years old going for the same price as a brand spankin new Aveo.

The backseats that don't even accomodate a baby seat are most likely coupes. I can't think of any 4-door that lacks that much room for a baby seat.

People like the style of 4-doors! Not every purchase is based off your indication of why buying something must be for its intended use.

The thing is Rex, my parents aren't looking at compact cars. I was simply using that as an example. If my dad was looking to buy an Aveo, I think he would take into some consideration my comfort if I was going to be in the backseat for long periods of time. But.......my family buys BIG suv's with alot of legroom. And when we had a Grand Am (4-door), my dad's wife would be happy to move the seat up an extra inch.

Another example! My dad's wife hated the way the Grand Am coupe looked, and that's why they ended up getting a 4-door. She didn't think "Well, it is a 4-door, so I must buy it for its intended use, Rex would be proud".

Like I said, you would be a complete retard to base your purchase off the comfort of future passengers if you have your heart set on a car with a lack of rear seat legroom.

You may continue sitting in the corner of your room pretending you're big and bad.
    When I'm pretending to be big and bad, I walk around the room menacingly. No one puts Rex Raider in the corner.

Secondly don't bother posting on the internet if you aren't prepared for someone to disagree with you. Forums such as this are DESIGNED for people to have opposing opionions. If everyone agreed, no thread would ever be popular.
    Contrary to what you may think, I don't disagree with everything and everyone. Perhaps YOU just push my buttons, or are over sensitive to criticism.

I simply didn't understand your "rant".
    For people that care about rear-seat room, OBVIOUSLY rear-seat SIZE is of importance, and certain cars would be ignored if they didn't meet their requirements.
    If horsepower was a requirement, then certain cars would be off the list.
    If navigation was a requirement, then certain cars would be off the list.
    Not every car can be all things to all people. I'm sure most soccer-moms have their heart set on a 2 passenger convertible, not an SUV or Minivan. But most people have to buy what's appropriate, not what their heart desires.

My heart desires oreo cookies and chocolate cake all the time. But the reality is that I should eat a salad, etc...

Some people want a NEW car and don't want a used, warranty-less Minivan in it's place. I don't think the average new Aveo buyer cross-shops with used Caravans.

Why do car magazines test back seat room? Why do cars have back seats at all? Obviously it's a factor for some people. Perhaps not for you. But magazines don't specifically write FOR YOU.

How many people do you think "have their heart set on" a car with not enough rear room, if rear room is a concern? I hardly think any. That's exactly what the reviews are saying. If the car had a bigger back seat, it might be more attractive a purchase to a more varied variety of people.

If rear seat room isn't a concern for you, then you can ignore that part of the article. If it is a concern, then it's very handy information.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

i'm 6'1" i used to have a 99 galant. when i had the seat at a comfortable position for me (all the way back), there was no room behind me for most normal adults to sit. to fit an adult taller than 5'5", i felt obligated to move my seat forward enough so that at least their discomfort was reduced, and shared by me (i care that my passengers - guests in my car - are comfortable). and seeing as the majority of the people who would be in the back seat of my car are friends at or around 6-foot, there was a lot of discomfort going around.

when i was looking for a new midsized car, rear seat legroom was a huge buying consideration, as it was my leading source of frustration in my old car.

every car i looked at, i got in the front seat, moved it to where i was comfortable, then got in the back seat for comparison.

dontcha know, i got the G6. now they have headroom issues a bit, but the legroom is plentiful.

hell, with the galant, i couldn't drive around my mother and 2 sisters - average height 5'7" - without running into major legroom complaints in the galant. and if you're going farther than the corner pizzaria, its an issue. a big issue.

i did look at the grand prix before the G6, and it was so lacking in legroom (like the lacrosse) that i couldn't in good faith consider it.

also, im a 27 year old engineer, married a year and a half, with no kids yet. i have no need for a minivan/suv, and hope never to have one. both our parents get along just fine without those automotive monstrosities, and we expect to as well. practicality and future usefullness were primary concerns in my buying decision, but not at the expense of style and all those good things. i wanted a midsized sedan because i prefer my vehicles that size. however, i had driven a '90 cavalier for a good long time, and it had plenty of leg room - much more than the galant - and i liked being able to transport full-sized adults in a modicum of comfort, so i knew that i didnt have to suffer with poor rear-seat leg room in a midsize. so it was a factor in my car buying decision.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

I go out to dinner a lot with the wife, sister, and brother-in-law and am usually the one driving...rear seat legroom matters to me.

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information