This is really general: Best vacuum for car cleaning?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is really general: Best vacuum for car cleaning?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

This is really general: Best vacuum for car cleaning?

Now most cars I have cleaned, save for the older ones, have dimples and humps and so on, on the floor. Which makes it difficult to say the least.

Now I guess ideally it would have a long, bendy section, that was relatively flat, with great suction, hopefully this would be a multipurpose vacuum, to clean the house as well.

If it does both the car and the house price really isn't that big of a deal.

So what do you do it yourselfers use? (Sorry if this has been talked about before but search sucks)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: This is really general: Best vacuum for car cleaning?

I don't have carpeting in my house, so my lil' buddy Roomba takes care of the floors on days that the cleaning lady doesn't mop them.

And I pay somebody to clean my car. I'm too impatient to get into all those tiny nooks and crannies to clean!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    I don't have carpeting in my house, so my lil' buddy Roomba takes care of the floors on days that the cleaning lady doesn't mop them.

And I pay somebody to clean my car. I'm too impatient to get into all those tiny nooks and crannies to clean!
    OK... I know this is gonna be offtopic....
    How's the Roomba treatin ya?? I'm thinking of getting one. I have limited areas of carpetting in my house -- bedrooms and the upstairs. The rest of the house is either wood or stone.

I use my full sized vaccuum for cleaning my car. I remove the car mats and use the big vacuum power brush on them.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Well you no help, I get a car wash about 3 times a month at the gas station, its only 5 bucks, gets gas cheaper so it is a free car wash on a fill up.

But insides, oh god I tried to use my Dyson and for one it may not loose suction but it sure doesn't have much and I don't know where my plastic long narrow sucker is...so its still a bit dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    How's the Roomba treatin ya?? I'm thinking of getting one. I have limited areas of carpetting in my house -- bedrooms and the upstairs. The rest of the house is either wood or stone.

I use my full sized vaccuum for cleaning my car. I remove the car mats and use the big vacuum power brush on them.
    I know next car I buy probably, 2009 Liberty for the girl, will definitely have www.mats.com some of those, the FloorLiners.
    Last edited by CJ Thunder; 07-18-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro

Our first Roomba was the cheapie Roomba "Discovery". We were iffy, so we decided to play it careful. This is the singlemost incredible household device invented in the past 100 years. We've got 4 dogs and it picks up every single solitary dog hair that goes astray. The kids don't have sniffles, and the house just "feels" cleaner.

We've got two now, one for each floor. If this thing cost $1000, I'd pay it. It's that good. Those little robots grow on you and become sort of pets even! We talk to our roombas like we talk to our dogs!

My Sister's got a Scooba, and she says it works wonders too.

Thanks

Our first Roomba was the cheapie Roomba "Discovery". We were iffy, so we decided to play it careful. This is the singlemost incredible household device invented in the past 100 years. We've got 4 dogs and it picks up every single solitary dog hair that goes astray. The kids don't have sniffles, and the house just "feels" cleaner.

We've got two now, one for each floor. If this thing cost $1000, I'd pay it. It's that good. Those little robots grow on you and become sort of pets even! We talk to our roombas like we talk to our dogs!

My Sister's got a Scooba, and she says it works wonders too.
    Yeaaa... I've saw the Scooba commercials. I wonder just how good it is. my kitchen floor has grout between the stone tiles, so i'm wonder if the scooba will pick up the crap that's on the grout. Hmmmmm

I've got 3 floors, with wide expanses.... so hmmm.....

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

Banned
    Thanks

About 5 years ago I bought a Kirby. I must say that they are the best vaccuum cleaners available. My parents bought theirs when they got married....AND STILL HAVE IT!! For 50 bucks they send it back to the factory whenever it is worn out. In a few weeks they have it back, totally rebuilt and looking brand new. You can't beat it. I swear by mine. It has HEPA filtration, and has a ton of tools you can use. I will never have to buy a vaccuum again because I will always have this one.

They are a bit pricey at first, but consider it the last vaccuum you'll ever have to buy.

Thanks

Make sure your furniture has "roombability" !!!!

The only problems you may encounter is Roomba getting stuck under certain furniture (usually the couch) and rugs with any sort of frilly or fringed edges. It shuts itself off if it gets stuck. There are also these little pylon accessories you can get that will keep roomba from entering a particular area. He gets stuck trying to get under our living room couch, but once he's under there, he cleans like mad.

Oh and they're quite noisy. You can't watch TV or anything with one in the room. It's best left to operate solo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likearock00
    About 5 years ago I bought a Kirby. I must say that they are the best vaccuum cleaners available. My parents bought theirs when they got married....AND STILL HAVE IT!! For 50 bucks they send it back to the factory whenever it is worn out. In a few weeks they have it back, totally rebuilt and looking brand new. You can't beat it. I swear by mine. It has HEPA filtration, and has a ton of tools you can use. I will never have to buy a vaccuum again because I will always have this one.

They are a bit pricey at first, but consider it the last vaccuum you'll ever have to buy.
    My aunt & uncle have a Kirby they bought in like 1961, and it's still running. It looks like something out of a 50s scifi flick!

Thanks

A Shop-vac is the best vaccum for cleaning out vehicles. It can suck up anything, wet or dry. Although, it won't do you any good inside your home.
    Last edited by drew630; 07-18-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    My Current Ride: 2004 Z71 Silverado
    Family: Father 2009 Enclave CXL, Mother 2007 Solstice & Bro 2004 Z71 Silverado

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Not about cleaning my car...but I recently bought a Dyson vacum cleaner for my mother....I must say it was worth every penny. I am really impressed with it.

Thanks

A Kirby with the Turbo hose attachment.

Then a Bissil Little Green for stains
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slade'man
    Not about cleaning my car...but I recently bought a Dyson vacum cleaner for my mother....I must say it was worth every penny. I am really impressed with it.
    Does it really suck?

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 326 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drew630
    A Shop-vac is the best vaccum for cleaning out vehicles. It can suck up anything, wet or dry. Although, it won't do you any good inside.
    I agree. That is what I use on mine as well.

We have a Dyson household vacuum, that thing is amazing! I really think it sucks better than the shop-vac, so I use it sometimes...when I feel brave enough to take a $550 vacuum out to the garage.
    Last edited by nsap; 07-18-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MRSshadams's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as house vaccums go, you cant beat a Dyson. It's amazing. I went through several cheaper vaccums, including a Hoover Windtunnel, and they were crappy, although I didnt realize exactly how crappy until I got the Dyson Animal. We have mostly hard flooring the house now, but the Dyson just does as well on the hard floors as on carpet.

As for cleaning cars, it has several small attachments (low reach tool, turbine head, crevice tool, among others) and a telescoping reach that would probably make car cleaning easy.

Best $500 I've ever spent.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information