GM Inside News Forum banner

Proof That Cadillac is Still Cadillac

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  autoplaybook 
#1 ·

Nothing starts below $34,000.00 and some are starting above $60,000.00.

Clearly this is not a poor persons brand. No one making less that $70,000.00 could even afford a lightly used certified Cadillac without financial strain.

Escalades are VERY expensive.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't know what "Cadillac is still Cadlilac" means, but here's a nice comparison.

Tier 1

Mercedes:
$34k-$201k (C300-S65 AMG)

Lexus:
$32k-$350k (IS250-LFA)

BMW:
$30k-$137k (128i-760Li)

Audi:
$27k-$155k (A3-R8 V10)

Tier 2

Infiniti:
$33k-$60k (G37-FX50)

Lincoln:
$34k-$60k (MKZ-Navigator L)

So...which does Cadillac look more like? A Tier 1 luxury brand, or a Tier 2?

#6 ·
The problem at Cadillac is not that their "entry level" cars are "pricey"... THE problem is the complete lack of a 6 figure car, and even worse that we are not only withdrawing from that market, but that we are, have, or soon will cancel any car that has a hope to transition into $100,000 plus territory.

#26 ·
Too bad the XLR died, and they did not upgrade the Escalade enough
According to what, exactly? Cadillacs start where everyone else does. But they top out right about where Lincoln and Infiniti do.

BMW, Benz, Lexus, and Audi can sell $100k+ cars because they have competent products that appeal to those buyers. This lends every car in the line underneath those high-zoot models an air of credibility as well.

Cadillac, on the other hand, is clogging the $30-40k luxury range with, soon, 3 models (ATS, SRX, CTS) and leaving a wide, yawning gap above $60k, except for the Escalade...an obviously retrimmed Tahoe.

That's Infiniti and Lincoln behavior. Not Mercedes.

And Mercedes just so happens to outsell Infiniti and Lincoln put together.
Cadillac tops way above Infiniti. Go and price out a fully loaded platinum escalade Hybrid, tell me where its going to knock $90.000.00 easily, If they make ESV, it could top $100,000.00
Not that it matters, but you can spend $70,000 on a GMC pickup too. $60,000+ pretty easy. Scary, I know.
American trucks is an area unique unto itself, no one but Detroit boys play there.. Nobody

Jaguar:
$53,000-$113,000 (XF-XJL SS)
Jaguar is a niche player, like Saab and Aston Martin or Maserati.

The only brands I consider "Tier 1" are really BMW and Mercedes.

Lexus/Audi are more Tier 1.5 if that is what you want to call it. (A Tier 1 brand's sales would not be 60% ES and RX; Audi just doesn't have the name recognition of BMW/MB in the US)

I consider Cadillac equal to Lexus/Audi, or nearly so. (I'd say Audi>Cadillac>Lexus) Audi has the product, Lexus has the reputation, Cadillac has some of both.

Tier 2:

Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti, Saab, Volvo, and higher end Buicks
I agree completely.
Depending on the performance set up and technology of XTS, if its more like A8 than la crosse, Cadillac could move it above CTS easily and even know $100,000.00, especially if it offered Voltec technology with RWD bias drive, or2 electric motors

Interesting to note that of all GM's brands Chevrolet commands the highest individual price tag.
Corvette is like Porche, its not your regular Chevy.

"Won't do much"???

The DTS and STS moved something like 20K combined last year. The XTS will vastly outsell them both.

In fact, I think calendar 2012 will be a good year for Cadillac with the enhanced CTS and XTS coming, and then the ATS sometime in the latter half. A year or two after that, that "void" above the CTS will be filled..............by the next CTS. (I pray that the Alpha car is named CTS and the next Alpha-based CTS is named STS.)
XTS offers tremedous opportunity for Cadillac,especially on the high end, a Hybrid AWD voltec powertrain would do wonders for Cadillac.

#7 · (Edited)
What are used as limos these days. From afar that always appeared to be the domain of either Cadillac or the Lincoln Continental. Have limos had their day -I wouldn't expect so.
Interesting that Cadillac may not be the most expensive GM car. A Holden Caprice unfortunately starts at around AUD72,000 (UD67000) (the ones they have used for test drives which are a tyipical config are AUD78,000) which is USD72,000. Guess that shows what a small market does to you. The Hybrid Escalade is marginally higher but I am not sure what options are avaliable for each.

#9 ·
Anything is used as a limo, my friend found a limo service that has Pontiac Grand Prix stretch limos. The 300c is very popular, many companies are replacing their Town Car's with Chryslers. SUV stretches are also in anything from the Excursion to the H2.

Kinda sad that the CTS-V is the top sedan at Cadillac. Although by adding the recaro seats to the regular CTS, they pushed it close to $60k. At that price I would assume that the lack of the STS midsize features really hurt CTS against the competition.

#11 ·
I think Cadillac is more Tier 1.5. It's not quite on the level of BMW, Audi, and Mercedes yet, but it's definitely not on the same lowly rebadge level as Lincoln. By 2015 when the redesigned CTS is here, the ATS is here, and hopefully a beefed up, proper flagship, Cadillac will be on par with everyone else.

Hopefully.

#20 ·
The only brands I consider "Tier 1" are really BMW and Mercedes.

Lexus/Audi are more Tier 1.5 if that is what you want to call it. (A Tier 1 brand's sales would not be 60% ES and RX; Audi just doesn't have the name recognition of BMW/MB in the US)

I consider Cadillac equal to Lexus/Audi, or nearly so. (I'd say Audi>Cadillac>Lexus) Audi has the product, Lexus has the reputation, Cadillac has some of both.

Tier 2:

Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti, Saab, Volvo, and higher end Buicks

#21 ·
Really everyone needs to be knocked down a Tier. Bently, RR, Maybach, Masserati, anyone?

And I'd put Jaguar with BMW and Mercedes, though it really needs to work on its image to truly be in with them.

#24 ·
Caddy needs more range and depth.
CTS is the sole sedan, with the DTS and STS just dying. The XTS wont do much but pick up some DTS/STS sales, probably outsell them both, but there is still a void below CTS, and a true void above CTS.
Then you get into different variations of the models, coupes/ wagons/ verts/hybrids.

#25 · (Edited)
The XTS wont do much but pick up some DTS/STS sales, probably outsell them both,

"Won't do much"???

The DTS and STS moved something like 20K combined last year. The XTS will vastly outsell them both.

In fact, I think calendar 2012 will be a good year for Cadillac with the enhanced CTS and XTS coming, and then the ATS sometime in the latter half. A year or two after that, that "void" above the CTS will be filled..............by the next CTS. (I pray that the Alpha car is named CTS and the next Alpha-based CTS is named STS.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.