GM Inside News Forum banner

is it possible to completely redo a car's interior?

26K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  citric acid 
#1 ·
is it possible? and if it's, is it costy?

#3 ·
The biggest thing for cost is: are you doing the labor yourself or what? Custom or just restoring? and what make, model, and year?

I know the stuff for our '68 Camaro wasn't very cheap.

#4 ·
It depends largely on what exactly you're trying to do. Do you want a SEMA interior or are you looking to keep it looking kinda stock, just more modern? Do you want to completely restore it to original specks? Chances are it's going to cost a decent amount of money (assuming it's a rarer/older vehicle) as parts will be hard to find. If it's something more common though or shares parts with many vehicles then the cost would be significantly less.

#5 ·
I could redo my Canyons interior with the H3s and make it look really different and quite cool. That is possible and not horribly hard to do, but the cost is a different story.

Like everyone said, it is possible for anything given time/money. But if it is customized expect a fair amount of coin and headache.

#6 ·
Canyonaro said:
I could redo my Canyons interior with the H3s and make it look really different and quite cool. That is possible and not horribly hard to do, but the cost is a different story.

Like everyone said, it is possible for anything given time/money. But if it is customized expect a fair amount of coin and headache.
I never thought about using H3 interior parts in a Canyon - what a cool idea!

At first, I thought he was asking whether an interior could be completely redesigned without the car itself being heavily revised. The example I thought of was the 1996ish GM-10s when they ditched the squared off dashboards and door panels for a more "organic" look (Cutlass Supreme, Grand Prix, Regal).

#8 ·
As others have noted, it depends on what exactly you mean ... and, depending on what you mean, how much money/time you have.

So, what type of plans are you considering?

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I missed a million miles of fun" ... Len ... 'Steal My Sunshine'

#9 ·
Canyonaro said:
That would be interesting to see. If you found a wrecked H3 then I'd imagine it wouldn't cost all that much either. That would give me reason to buy a Canyon/Colorado.

#10 ·
Randle2I said:
That would be interesting to see. If you found a wrecked H3 then I'd imagine it wouldn't cost all that much either. That would give me reason to buy a Canyon/Colorado.
I will have to find a link, I had awhile ago. Someone actually did it for ~$1800, and it looked great. I guess it would be easier to do if you had the manual for the "floor shift" area as opposed to the column shift on the auto, and trying to make that work.

#13 ·
It is possible. At what cost though? Soon I will have to get a new headliner in the Bonneville along with the cloth on the posts around the rear window. Wish I could get the sunvisors so they dont fall down. I mean they dont stay flipped up when you flip them up. Funny the ones in the 1984 Buick Park Avenue dont have this trouble.

#14 ·
griswold44 said:
You'd be better off just buying an H3 instead of trying to fix a Colorado's interior.
Fix? Why would it matter if you wanted a Truck instead of an SUV? Besides it's not like it has a horrible interior anyway IMO. You can argue all you want, but some people buy a truck for the simplicity.

#15 ·
Canyonaro said:
Fix? Why would it matter if you wanted a Truck instead of an SUV? Besides it's not like it has a horrible interior anyway IMO. You can argue all you want, but some people buy a truck for the simplicity.
I was about to say something about it being a lot harder to turn an H3 into a pickup than to give the Colorado/Canyon interior H3 bits. I imagine you just have to keep an eye out for an H3 that was rear-ended, since then the dashboard and door panels (if they fit) would be a lot less damaged, since no airbags would go off and there would be little side intrusion. I imagine most of the mounting points would be similar, though finessing the new dash and stuff might require a bit of finessing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.