Old French cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old French cars

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member
    Thanks

Old French cars

I was at a tiny local car show this weekend, and got some pics of some very interesting cars. I'll have to send them to Bravada.

Here's a Matra 530A. I just love this car, though I've never seen one in my life and suspect I never will again. It's rear-engined, BTW. The info on the windshield says it's a 1969 with a 1.7L inline-4 in mid-engine position, with 95 hp (not sure if that's the same as US or not), and that it weighs 860 kg and goes 200 km/h., and that it has a 4-speed (inversed?) gearbox:

Last edited by paul8488; 10-02-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    All are heartily encouraged to check out and join the Facebook group for my automotive blog: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theautomotiveattic/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Matra 530A

Here's another rare bird. It's a 1968 Simca 4CV. The owner was really nice and let me climb inside. He told me all about it... he found it in a garage and plans to restore it. It's in quite good shape. It has its engine in the rear. He said Simca was bought out (I forget by whom), and this company was then bought out by Chrysler eventually. I thought he wanted to sell it to me, but alas, no:

All are heartily encouraged to check out and join the Facebook group for my automotive blog: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theautomotiveattic/

Thanks

Re: Old French cars

This little car caught my eye too... A Renault 15. No idea what year, but it's clearly late 70's / early 80's. Not really pretty, though I really like the rear window / trunklid / rear fender design.

Thanks

I still see lots of these Renault 4s around, usually as work vehicles. I don't have details... but they clearly made it for a long time, as this one ahd an ancinet interior and another one next to it had a much more modern (early 80's) interior. This one was for sale. Should have taken the number... though it was pretty rough:

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I've always liked French cars..

Thanks

This is probably my favourite old French car: the Peugeot 504 convertible. Again, not sure what year this one is, but it was really stunning and in fantastic shape. I see these from time to time, and would love to own one someday:

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488
    This is probably my favourite old French car: the Peugeot 504 convertible. Again, not sure what year this one is, but it was really stunning and in fantastic shape. I see these from time to time, and would love to own one someday:
    See? Leave it to the Italians to make a nice looking French car!

That old Matra looks like a rebodied Renault Alpine A110.

Simca bought out Ford of France in the 50's, then Simca was bought by Chrysler in the 60's, Chrysler bought out Rootes Group in the UK and tried to merge them in the mid/late 1970's, Chrysler hit hard times, and the French government coerced Peugeot Societe Anonyme to "take" the whole Chrysler Europe operation for free (well they did take on CE's debts and assets). Iacocca was happy to be rid of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 912 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero

SAN FRANCISCO 2024!! -- http://sf2024.org

Thanks

Wow a Cinq with selective-yellow headlamps and mags!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Pawtucket, RI, USA and Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Thanks

Wow, that Matra, Renault 15, and the car next to the 504 (looks like either a Goddess or Traction Avant) all look orgasmic!
    Θέλει αρετή και τόλμη η ελευθερία. (Ανδρέας Κάλβος)

Thanks

Oh yeah definately a DS (you could say the DS is "traction avant" but it's way more advanced than a Traction Avant)... you know you must be in France when a DS doesn't even merit mention about funky old cars...
    Last edited by Smaart Aas Saabr; 10-02-2006 at 06:57 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 eb110americana's Avatar
    Thanks

Also this:

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPi...rue&first=true

They say it's a "1937 Matra M530 Sonia Delaunay" but there is no way this car is from 1937. Maybe 1967.

Thanks

Kinda looks like the unhappy offspring of an E-type and a Fiat X1/9. I used to want a Matra Bagheera with the 3-abreast seats though.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

R4s were made from the early 1960s to, if I recall correctly, well into the 1990s. (And R15 is more like early 70s, not 1980s...)

Still, the R4 doesn't beat the 2CV's lifespan -- BTW, are you seeing some of these around, and do you like them? (Last time I was there, a few years ago, there were still many on the roads). You could probably pick up one of these living pieces of French car history for a reasonable price (if you're going to stay there long enough for that)...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

That Matra looks awesome!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information