GM Inside News Forum banner

New 13 Optima SX t

4K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  germeezy1 
#1 · (Edited)
Well my felluh Amurricans, and Canadians and Ozzers too, I walked in, checkbook/AMEX card in hand, ready for the Deal of the Year.

"2013 KIA Optima SX, $18999." Autotemp dual zone, 2.0t, 6/A, 18" wheels with typical junk tires...but still.

Yessireebob, deals like that don't drop in on you every day. I'm reminded of the story of my cousin's cat. One day she was lying on her back under a tree. (The cat.) A baby bird fell out of its nest onto her tummy. Rutt roe!

I'm sure the little bird was rescued by kind humans.

And so the 27 thousand dollar turbo Optima was rescued, misprint they said. It's really an LX.

I laughed along with them, and told them

I'll be baaakkkk.
Tomorrow.
With my attorney, Snideley Whiplash. :)

#6 ·
Your ESPN is definitely hitting on all five!
Tell me, ESPN, where will the Tigers finish this year?

take Nell Fenwick instead - she's tougher
Who's Nell Fenwick? Related to Fenwick Hockey?

Ima happy for you, Ima let you finish, but for $18990 one of these is a better deal:

Details please.

#11 ·
^^How helpful. Four brands I have absolutely no interest in. Thanks, Burns!

#22 · (Edited)
What car? No.
The text 'splains that the moron who wrote the ad, and I suggested to the dealership XO that whoever did should be disciplined, so it turns out it was the dealership manager who wrote the ad.
Got the stock # correct, got the price correct, got the model rong rong. BTW, as my saleshomie mentioned, I am the only one who called attention to their ad.

I didn't know you considered KIA domestic.

6 months to a year after the purchase of a new car, the new-car-sheen wears off. You would be driving a used car anyway.

Let's say you buy a Merc CLK for $13k. It has 100,000kms on it (which is not bad). You're saving $6k vs the base $19k KIA. Put aside $1k every year for potential problems and maintenance, and you can more than run the Merc for 5 years. When you sell it in 5 years, it will probably be worth half, you would have lost $6.5k in depreciation. The KIA in 5 years would be worth $9.5k, and you would have lost $9.5k in depreciation. So there is another savings of $3000 that you can put towards maintenance or repairs. If by some miracle the Mercedes is trouble free in the 5 years of ownership, you would have saved $9000 driving it versus the KIA.

And you would have been driving a Mercedes, which was $60k new. It is rear wheel drive, lined with leather, and has novel features like radar guided cruise control, rain sensing wipers, and pillar-less doors.

Granted a few years ago I did once see a Mercedes CLK stuck in traffic with its hazards on and the suit-and-tie wearing owner/driver was frantically calling the tow truck as other drivers honked past him.
I never stated KIA is domestic. The Optima IS built in Georgia. Not so the farfugnoogun cars you like.
http://wot.motortrend.com/first-u-s...plant-assembly-line-114397.html#axzz2GkUSOIGc

And everything in red you mention? While those qualities clearly stoke your fires, they do nothing for me.

(As an aside, I once worked with a PhD who owned a Mercedes. A 190 IIRC. She was always talking about her Mercedes. Mercedes this, Mercedes that, oh BTW did you notice I drive a MERCEDES BENZ?
And her Doctorate. Doctor doctor doctor. It's not like she was a physician.
Which was likely mail order. Anyway, PhDs indicate more about determination and persistence than intelligence or professional skill.)

As with some of the qualites noted in The Most Interesting Man In The World, being seen driving a MB would be a step down from me walking down the street.
MB, RWD, leather, obnoxious radar-tripping cruise control, RSW, pillar-free doors? Sorry, no sale here.

But enjoy your German iron. It simply does not interest me.

#30 ·
"Wide Ovals"???

Hadn't heard those words in many a year, my friend.

If Lincoln had slapped a set of those bad boys on that new ride before the magazine test, why it might have outcornered a...a...a...Vin Diesel Edition Keurig with a Fanboy F1 Spoiler, and fartcan exhaust :)

#33 ·
I am glad that I did not peruse the same ad that you saw as I have been known in the past to buy cars that I do not need because they were an amazingly attractive deal. I once owned a Volvo XC90 V8 Ocean Race that I bought , and shuffled cars around in my driveway every day to accommodate because the purchase was made so amazingly attractive.

#36 ·
You're entitled to your opinion. I've read plenty of research on the subject. You know where to find it, if you're who you say you are.

And if you choose to not follow helpful suggestions, you can continue to suffer. I've told numerous people that over the years. IGNORE.

#38 ·
I loved my Rover 2000. But as I said, Roy G is the ONLY service manager whose name I recall out of 30+ cars over the past few decades. I traded it on a VW Superbug, sold that to go Japanese, Kawasaki 500, then got a Hondacar because bikes suck in the snow.

#40 ·
My friend recently bought a WRX, and he really liked the Regal GS notwithstanding the price difference. If $5,000 off is easy perhaps we could realistically be looking at $30,000 Regal GS's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.