Never use Monroe Quick Struts! - Page 2

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

  1. #16
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 newdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Some place...
    Posts
    1,190
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 80 Times in 40 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    put the stock OEM replacement parts back on. if you still have issues, then it is something else, not the struts causing the issue. I.E. control arm bushings, sway bar links, steering column, etc....
    This. There is a numerous page service bulletin from GM on Cobalt clunking listing all sorts of causes. We get Cobalt clunks all the time at work, majority being sway bar links and control arm bushings, and a steering column here or there.


    Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

    Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    After over thirty years of using Monroe shocks, I won't buy, nor recommend them any longer. After replacing them several times (with the lifetime warranty), on my old cars, I give up. I'm tired of replacing them even not having to pay for exchanging them. At first I was thinking that since my cars are old, I'm still buying from a "bad" batch of them that were produced and still being depleted.

    If I'm not mistaken, the original struts on the '04-'06 GTOs were sourced from Monroe. And lots of the '06 GTOs had leaking struts.

    Perhaps I'm the lone consumer of the bad products, but I've trusted them for so long and endured countless hours changing and exchanging them that I'm done with them.

  4. #18
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC jAustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wash DC area VA
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    My advice to anyone replacing MacPherson strut assemblies would be not to worry with a quick strut unless the coils are actually sagging due to rust or seriously excessive mileage.

    My experience has been in both Atlanta and Montgomery that any Meineke or Midas will swap the new struts, that you provide, onto your old coils for $15 a pop. That is, you take your two entire front MacPherson assemblies with the old struts and the coils still in compression to them and $30 later your new struts are on your OEM coils.

    I don't have any interest in using a coil spring compressor for safety reasons and I wouldn't advise any other shade tree mechanics to try. But hey, exhaust shop folks will do anything.
    1985 Toyota Cressida, restored plus Supra guts: 5-speed, LSD, and wheels
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera wagon with LG8 engine, swaybar, STB, 16x7 GM wheels
    ----
    Georgia Tech class of 2013

  5. #19
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,416
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 174 Times in 113 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    put the stock OEM replacement parts back on. if you still have issues, then it is something else, not the struts causing the issue. I.E. control arm bushings, sway bar links, steering column, etc....
    Yeah, I have a feeling the poor ride and clunks is from the lower control arm bushings which i had planned to change last year but never did. After spending almost $1500 on this car and since I'm going to be buying a new one next fall I think I'm just going to deal with it.
    OEM sounds like a better idea than trying the kyb after reading all these responses. The Springs are new oem springs anyway, they would just need to order everything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
    Something is seriously wrong with your car (or your driving style, or your local roads) if you've had to replace springs/shocks/struts after 5 years, as well as all the stabilizer bushing/links (your other thread). Replace with OEM GM and be done with it. KYB won't last long and doesn't provide a good ride (more of a not-so-durable sporty shock/strut set up).
    My roads are bad here in San Diego and the car was handling poorly, practically folding in on itself around turns so I do think the springs were shot. Of course, if i had known it would snowball to sway bar end links and bushings I wouldn't have done the struts and just suffered until next year.
    I wonder what company makes the OEM struts that go on the Cobalt LTs?

    Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I broke a Coil on my Wife's Windstar, (go figure) Not thinking I ordered a New set of Coils.

    I had the shop change both coils, to be safe. With the thought of keeping the the old Struts. During the switch the Tech came up and said "One Strut Mount is finished"

    I then switched to thinking "Maybe I should have done i with Quick Struts"

    I have been "Kicking myself for a year" about that, until I read this thread.

    I have replaced both springs, and both mounts, but still have the original Struts.

    10YO and 175000 km's later still driving good.
    It's possible the quick struts for other cars are OK, I've read some good things about them but at least now you don't have to think about it. Could have been OK but could have been a disaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by newdude View Post
    This. There is a numerous page service bulletin from GM on Cobalt clunking listing all sorts of causes. We get Cobalt clunks all the time at work, majority being sway bar links and control arm bushings, and a steering column here or there.
    The dealer said one of the clunks was from the sway bar bushings. $300 later the car still clunks. Personally I think the control arm bushings, most likely both arms completely need to be changed but now I'm not doing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
    After over thirty years of using Monroe shocks, I won't buy, nor recommend them any longer. After replacing them several times (with the lifetime warranty), on my old cars, I give up. I'm tired of replacing them even not having to pay for exchanging them. At first I was thinking that since my cars are old, I'm still buying from a "bad" batch of them that were produced and still being depleted.

    If I'm not mistaken, the original struts on the '04-'06 GTOs were sourced from Monroe. And lots of the '06 GTOs had leaking struts.

    Perhaps I'm the lone consumer of the bad products, but I've trusted them for so long and endured countless hours changing and exchanging them that I'm done with them.
    I wonder whether I should have them replace the Monroe shocks they our on the rear for OEM as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by jAustin View Post
    My advice to anyone replacing MacPherson strut assemblies would be not to worry with a quick strut unless the coils are actually sagging due to rust or seriously excessive mileage.

    My experience has been in both Atlanta and Montgomery that any Meineke or Midas will swap the new struts, that you provide, onto your old coils for $15 a pop. That is, you take your two entire front MacPherson assemblies with the old struts and the coils still in compression to them and $30 later your new struts are on your OEM coils.

    I don't have any interest in using a coil spring compressor for safety reasons and I wouldn't advise any other shade tree mechanics to try. But hey, exhaust shop folks will do anything.
    My springs were definitely shot. The car does take corners much better, at least I have that

  6. #20
    Chevrolet VOLT F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dimondale, MI
    Posts
    10,396
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 154 Times in 107 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Quote Originally Posted by jAustin View Post
    I don't have any interest in using a coil spring compressor for safety reasons and I wouldn't advise any other shade tree mechanics to try. But hey, exhaust shop folks will do anything.
    crap, my brother's done it with C clamps


    Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    put the stock OEM replacement parts back on. if you still have issues, then it is something else, not the struts causing the issue. I.E. control arm bushings, sway bar links, steering column, etc....
    My mom's LTZ with her light driving has had all of those mentioned replaced, in that order, going after clunks over bumps. Thank goodness she got a GMPP
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

    '87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

  7. #21
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,416
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 174 Times in 113 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Does anyone know what brand the oem struts and shocks are for the Cobalt LT1 suspension?

  8. #22
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    The aftermarket likes to advertise its products as superior to OEM - but if that was true shouldn't aftermarket parts cost more than OEM? Especially with their fancy advertising campaigns and glossy boxes?

    Just sayin.
    No. What's happening is you're buying a part from the dealer that costs the same to make as the aftermarket part but because it has OEM written on it, the markup is huge. You aren't getting a superior product, you're lining someone's pocket.

    Delco makes a ton of stuff with both the GM number and Delco number right on the box. We can get that stuff 20-30% cheaper from our Delco jobber than we can the dealer.

    We use "aftermarket" parts all day long. Granted, we stick to major names highest grade only such as Moog, Monroe, SKF and of course Delco.

  9. #23
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 JT87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post

    My roads are bad here in San Diego and the car was handling poorly, practically folding in on itself around turns so I do think the springs were shot. Of course, if i had known it would snowball to sway bar end links and bushings I wouldn't have done the struts and just suffered until next year.
    I wonder what company makes the OEM struts that go on the Cobalt LTs?

    The dealer said one of the clunks was from the sway bar bushings. $300 later the car still clunks. Personally I think the control arm bushings, most likely both arms completely need to be changed but now I'm not doing it.
    Moog for the end links. for the control arm bushings, you don't need to buy a new control arm. The trailing (rear, vertical) would be the culprit. Those are relatively cheap and can be installed by any shop with a light press.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

  10. #24
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,416
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 174 Times in 113 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Quote Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
    Moog for the end links. for the control arm bushings, you don't need to buy a new control arm. The trailing (rear, vertical) would be the culprit. Those are relatively cheap and can be installed by any shop with a light press.
    My mechanic used moog for the end links.
    I think it would cost $300 for the control arm bushings installed. I wish the dealer had done that instead of the sway bar bushings.

  11. #25
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,416
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 174 Times in 113 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Well, 2 months after filing my complaint with the BBB Monroe responds-the mechanic didn't charge labor for swapping the struts out 8 times so what does the customer want?
    Wow.
    How about reimbursing me for all that time and aggravation? I wasn't asking for a lot either, just the cost of the struts and installation. My car developed a front issue issue after having the front end dropped so many times and it still hasn't been resolved.
    I am filing a complaint with the Attorney General and using social media to make sure no one gets screwed by Monroe like I did. What a garbage company. Knowingly selling a defective product, not recalling them, then lying to both me and my mechanic about the problems with them.
    My mechanic is going after them as well for all the labor they performed for free.
    I am going back for the 10th time and they are going to replace everything with oem parts.
    Their shocks suck as well. I have new ones on the rear end installed the same time as the struts and they bounce and make noise.

    Monroe-you stink

  12. #26
    Walking
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    I bought these quick struts and I've been back to the shop 5 times with complaints about the rough ride and this started only after installing the quick struts and its not anything else causing the problem so don't be convinced to spend money chasing other problems Monroes ride like a tank go with dealer parts and be through and pleased. My car rode good. Now its all over the place and any shop or mechanic That doesn't know this as fact isn't any good.

  13. #27
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,416
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 174 Times in 113 Posts

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Yep, went back to oem struts and that fixed the problem. I don't have the car anymore but it's the last time I go with Monroe for anything

  14. #28
    Walking
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD Charcoa

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    Hello all, new to the site,
    I recently had to replace struts on my truck as the first set of Monroes were defective, upgraded to the new redesign(additional high cost), still getting some clunking and not so great hadling. Front end is all new except upper ball joints which the dealer will check out. Thinking of replacing to OEM design with Bilsteins.

  15. #29
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East of the west.
    Posts
    24,437
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked 841 Times in 540 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

    Re: Never use Monroe Quick Struts!

    I have my own way of strutting. Why should I ask a former President about it?

    15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

    People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt



  16. #30
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,148
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 117 Times in 66 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    Ive sold them numerous times and never had too many complaints.

    I personally would rather go with a higher end brand, or even OEM.


    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2