navigation vs onstar turn by turn

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: navigation vs onstar turn by turn

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

navigation vs onstar turn by turn

Is the factory supplied nav systems on gm cars worth the 2 grand? Wouldn't the onstar turn by turn be as good if not better. I wonder about road changes or closure updates that a preloaded system wouldn't have. Does anyone that has experience with both systems have input? Are updates provided on the navigation by the factory? I'm not interested in the add-on market gps. thanks for any advice. Are there any drawbacks you care to share?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Re: navigation vs onstar turn by turn

Quote Originally Posted by lizardhead View Post
    Is the factory supplied nav systems on gm cars worth the 2 grand? Wouldn't the onstar turn by turn be as good if not better. I wonder about road changes or closure updates that a preloaded system wouldn't have. Does anyone that has experience with both systems have input? Are updates provided on the navigation by the factory? I'm not interested in the add-on market gps. thanks for any advice. Are there any drawbacks you care to share?
    Contrary to popular belief, On star does NOT use satellites for voice/data communication. On star turn by turn requires cell signal to work. (It uses the cellular network to connect to customer service, as well as to download the data to your car). If you are in an area or are going to an area with crappy cell signal, it won't work.

Thanks

New Cadillacs have a system that integrates both. You have your stereotypical nav unit with XM traffic updates, but you also have your OnStar on tap to call and have the routes automatically downloaded to your nav unit. It sounds gimmicky, but once you've seen it work its pretty slick. Nav + onStar is a pretty neat system, offering all the benefits of a nav screen with OnStar's hands-free service and its most endearing aspect, an actual human being to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by a_v_s View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, On star does NOT use satellites for voice/data communication. On star turn by turn requires cell signal to work. (It uses the cellular network to connect to customer service, as well as to download the data to your car). If you are in an area or are going to an area with crappy cell signal, it won't work.
    100% true. Though it is worth noting that OnStar's antenna is significantly more powerful than a cell antenna. I've had service from OnStar deep in the northwoods of northern Wisconsin and Michigan when my CMDA (same protocol that OnStar uses) cell had nothing, not even roaming.
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Great info, thanks. So onstar can't detect an accident in the mountains or desert where there is no cell service? So Onstar only has comm ability where cell service is available? I'm trying to clarify the parameters of Onstar. It sounds like the nav is helpful but is aided by onstar that is somewhat limited? Am I getting this correct. This new system that Cadillac has, does it share that with the new GMC Terrain? Thanks again.
    Last edited by lizardhead; 10-16-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lizardhead View Post
    Great info, thanks. So onstar can't detect an accident in the mountains or desert where there is no cell service? So Onstar only has comm ability where cell service is available? I'm trying to clarify the parameters of Onstar. It sounds like the nav is helpful but is aided by onstar that is somewhat limited? Am I getting this correct. This new system that Cadillac has, does it share that with the new GMC Terrain? Thanks again.
    Yes... Like Olds88 said, the reception from OnStar will be much better than your ordinary cell phone, but that's no guaurantee.. My friend has it in their car, and they live in the foothills. His OnStar doesn't work at his house. (It lost signal when you turn off the highway at the base of the hill, becuase last year they wrecked on the snow/ice. All airbags deployed, but OnStar coudln't establish a connection. He had to walk to a nearby house to call for help)

But for most people, you'll probably have fine reception...

Banned
    Thanks

they work fine why spend the two grand for something you can buy for a couple hundred bucks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman1973 View Post
    they work fine why spend the two grand for something you can buy for a couple hundred bucks
    I've used and own many different portable navs... They all suck compared to factory navs, for one very important reason. They NEED SAT signal to function. Factory Navs can fallback to it's compass and the vehicle speed sensors if you lose signal.

When in SF for example, both Garmin and Magellan have proved to be useless in the downtown area. Not only would I have to drive aimlessly until it picks up a signal, it would lose the signal so often, that I would constantly miss turns, etc. And heaven forbid you go through a tunnel that has a fork inside it.

Plus the screens on the portable units tend to be so small that it is impossible to look sufficiently far ahead to know what's coming, while at the same time, still have enough detail in the foreground to be able to read street names, etc.

Besides, having a windshield mount is so tacky looking, and almost every single one I had, the suction cup wore out to the point that it would always fall off the window.

Portable navs are great when you want portability, but for everyday use, factory nav is waaay better.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a_v_s View Post
    I've used and own many different portable navs... They all suck compared to factory navs, for one very important reason. They NEED SAT signal to function. Factory Navs can fallback to it's compass and the vehicle speed sensors if you lose signal.

When in SF for example, both Garmin and Magellan have proved to be useless in the downtown area. Not only would I have to drive aimlessly until it picks up a signal, it would lose the signal so often, that I would constantly miss turns, etc. And heaven forbid you go through a tunnel that has a fork inside it.

Plus the screens on the portable units tend to be so small that it is impossible to look sufficiently far ahead to know what's coming, while at the same time, still have enough detail in the foreground to be able to read street names, etc.

Besides, having a windshield mount is so tacky looking, and almost every single one I had, the suction cup wore out to the point that it would always fall off the window.

Portable navs are great when you want portability, but for everyday use, factory nav is waaay better.
    That sums it up perfectly! I've been a huge GM OnStar + NAV hater for a few years now, until my friend with the all-new CTS showed what's what. Now I'm looking at the CTS Wagon as my next car to replace my 3er wagon, which would be super nice after GM dropped the price!

One question: does OnStar exist in Europe?

- Brent

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Nope.

Thanks

I should have read this thread a long time ago. A couple of nights ago I was stranded on the side of the road in Montana. On my way south to Arizona for a few months. Anyways I pushed the On-Star button. I guess from commercials I expected this great service to kick in and roadside assistance to come to my aid in a short time. Well firstly I am not sure the girl even knew where Montana is but I had to explain to her where I was 4 times and I am not sure she ever did understand.. Then when they found out I was a Canadian they put me through to a Canadian On Star person. I am stranded in the US and a Canadian On Star person has to help me? To make a long story short if it was not for the assistance of a rancher who stopped to help me I may still be there. On Star never did what I thought it would that is for sure! In fact when my free 6 months runs out they can.....well you know were I am going with this!

So my question is how in the hell can they give me directions to any place when they can not find me in a stationary location. Get navigation! It shows you were everything is by toggling on restaurant's, gas stations, etc.
    Last edited by LIKAROK; 10-29-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks

Waze on my cell phone will 'guesstimate' where you are when services gets interrupted (ie, in a tunnel or such) - it obviously cant do this for long extended periods.
    ------------
    Goochman

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LIKAROK View Post
    I should have read this thread a long time ago. A couple of nights ago I was stranded on the side of the road in Montana. On my way south to Arizona for a few months. Anyways I pushed the On-Star button. I guess from commercials I expected this great service to kick in and roadside assistance to come to my aid in a short time. Well firstly I am not sure the girl even knew where Montana is but I had to explain to her where I was 4 times and I am not sure she ever did understand.. Then when they found out I was a Canadian they put me through to a Canadian On Star person. I am stranded in the US and a Canadian On Star person has to help me? To make a long story short if it was not for the assistance of a rancher who stopped to help me I may still be there. On Star never did what I thought it would that is for sure! In fact when my free 6 months runs out they can.....well you know were I am going with this!

So my question is how in the hell can they give me directions to any place when they can not find me in a stationary location. Get navigation! It shows you were everything is by toggling on restaurant's, gas stations, etc.
    LIKAROK,

I certainly understand your frustrations. I would like to look further into what happened, and address any concerns you have. Will you please send your account number and/or full VIN of your vehicle to me, in a Private Message? Thank you! I hope to hear from you soon.

~Sara, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information