Mazda CX-9: The best SUV ever?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda CX-9: The best SUV ever?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 surferdude00711's Avatar
    Thanks

Mazda CX-9: The best SUV ever?

Well it may not be the BEST SUV ever, but it certainly does the "utility' aspect of SUV better than most, and its 260HP V6 isn't exactly lackluster in "sport" either.

The CX-9 is (as far as I know) the biggest car-based SUV ever built. At 200 inches, its the size of a Tahoe. But it gets 25 MPG highway, can comfortably fit adults in its third row, and doesn't handle like a tank. Minivans have long held the title of most comfortable people-mover (3rd row of a Tahoe!?), but finally there's an SUV that does it just as well.

Some may not like the curvy and 'swoopy' exterior lines, but I think they're graceful and that they make this full-size SUV look decidedly mid-size. Its just so elegant for such a large machinge. And the interior is really well done: high quality plastics + wood touches = niceeeeee. The dual chrome exhausts and generous but subtle use of chrome throughout the exterior really puts the look over the top. Outlook has its work cut out for it- damn.

VS

Last edited by surferdude00711; 09-30-2006 at 11:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 683 Posts

Re: Mazda CX-9: The best SUV ever?

Meh.
    Boring front.
    Interior of Outlook seems to be competitive. The rear of the CX-9 is very Outlook crossed with an RX.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Meh.
    Boring front.
    Interior of Outlook seems to be competitive. The rear of the CX-9 is very Outlook crossed with an RX.
    The Outlook interior is bad- do you see how horribly the center interior panel doesn't match the ones to the right and left?

Thanks

I'm not going to lie, I really REALLY like the CX-9. I saw one in person a couple days ago. The last time I jerked my head that hard was the first C6 Z06 that I saw.

Something I just noticed about the Outlooks interior, I really like those "pockets" on the side of the console. I don't have much interaction with SUV's so pardon my ignorance if that is somewhat common.
    My thoughts and random babblings...
    http://perpetualanticipation.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 683 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by surferdude00711
    The Outlook interior is bad- do you see how horribly the center interior panel doesn't match the ones to the right and left?
    Center interior panel doesn't match the right and left???
    I don't follow

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 guitarlix's Avatar
    Thanks

The first time I saw a CX-7 at a Mazda dealership, I did a double take. It looked really good and way different from all the photos I'd seen in which it looked ugly.

In the photos above, the CX-9's exterior design already looks dated and rather boring (interior looks nice though). However, if it's like the CX-7, then it may look a lot better in real life than it does in photos.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

The CX-7 looks great in person. Its small enough to pull off the sporty appearance. Too bad it comes with automatic only.

The CX-9 is going to look a bit tamer, but a SUV of that size shouldn't really pretend to be a sporty vehicle (relatively speaking) anyway, so the looks fit the SUV.

Thanks

Huh?
    If you're talking about the center stack thats made of black plastic with the generic GM-Corporate-Center-Stack-Design-Thats-seen-in-every-gm-vehicle-except-cadillac then i can understand.

Doesnt really look out of place to me.
    How much Koolaid have you drunk today?
    IS it enough for the win? Or should we wait till next year?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 BusyBody's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you seen the Pre Vue concept? It has the Mazda beat easily. I will admit the exterior of the Mazda is nice, but the interior seems blah. Also what is the price point comparison? I know the Vue is pretty good value for the money.
    2008 Black Impala LTZ, titanium leather, sunroof, and Bose stereo.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Quote Originally Posted by BusyBody
    Have you seen the Pre Vue concept? It has the Mazda beat easily. I will admit the exterior of the Mazda is nice, but the interior seems blah. Also what is the price point comparison? I know the Vue is pretty good value for the money.
    I'd love to see the Pre Vue on the road..it just needs to happen!

Mazda doesnt have the BEST SUV here..but they certainly do have the best Mazda SUV on their hands, and for them..thats a great thing. Not that Mazda has ever done bad in the SUV segment, but if ever there was a time that they could really start making an impact, that time would be now with this CX-9.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

THe CX9 is WAY narrower than the Lambdas (IIRC) .. It is also the largest of the modern crossovers, but Pacifica/R-class and Freestyle have been there and done that, just with less SUV styling.

The CX9 is a great car, but ultimately not a perfect competition to the LAmbdas and the upcoming Fairlane - it is smaller. Some people will like that it is smaller and nimbler - but others (and let's admint Americans like to buy the the largest thing they can fit in their garage - now adding provided Fuel economy is close) will go for the larger vehicles.

Overall, I love the Cx9 - Ford has great model in it - the Engine / Chasis / Interior combination managet to make an SUV tht does not betray Mazda's zoom-Zoom motto and that is what is important.

However to say that it will be better than other not-yet released vehicles is a moot point - neither has sold a sing one yet.

Igor

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

Acadia

width: 78.9 in (2004mm)
    shouder room: 61.9, 61.1, 57.8 (first, second, third row)
    legroom: 41.3, 36.9, 33.5 (first, second, third row)

EDIT : CX9 below

the only spec on the CX-9 is the overall widht: 76.2

this is abour 2.5 inches less than the Acadia - and enough to bump it in people's eyes a class lower - again to Mazda's benefit or not. You can bet this will be reflected in copacable redusion of sholder room.

Igor
    Last edited by igor; 10-01-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by igor
    Acadia

width: 78.9 in (2004mm)
    shouder room: 61.9, 61.1, 57.8 (first, second, third row)
    legroom: 41.3, 36.9, 33.5 (first, second, third row)

EDIT : CX9 below

the only spec on the CX-9 is the overall widht: 76.2

this is abour 2.5 inches less than the Acadia - and enough to bump it in people's eyes a class lower - again to Mazda's benefit or not. You can bet this will be reflected in copacable redusion of sholder room.

Igor
    I don't think that being a tad less wide will bump it into the midsize class but I certainly didn't think of the Freestyle and R-Class; they are very large car-based SUVs. Somehow the Freestyle doesn't look it while the R screams it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

What?
    That doesn't make any sense (in terms of English, I mean...). You'll have to elaborate on that.
    Those Outlook pictures are early GM corporate pics--and as we all know, GM doesn't know how to take pictures most all of the time.
    Here are some better Outlook pics:
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/S...ook/Photos.htm

Teaser (GM pix; click on them to enlarge):

and

And here is a large real-life picture from the above link:
    Last edited by uboys; 10-01-2006 at 11:34 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 plane's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uboys
    And here is a large real-life picture from the above link:
    Great post. The bigger pictures add so much more to the discussion.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Edmund Burke

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information