LTZ Impala, W-Rated Tires, Governed? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LTZ Impala, W-Rated Tires, Governed?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: LTZ Impala, W-Rated Tires, Governed?

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I don't know where you got the notion that FWD is somehow unstable at speed. And perhaps your 1994 GP needed some suspension and brake work? New Tires perhaps?
    The only cars I've owned that felt shakey at speed were clunkers.
    The '94 GTP only liked to go in a straight line, cornering was bad even if the tires were new (and when the car was new). I do have to say the few times I took it over 100 I was on route 22 in New York state in the winter, so the pavement wasn't perfectly smooth. The front end got very light, felt like I was floating over the road. Then I tapped the brakes and could feel the whole chassis getting really unsettled. The '02 GTP was worlds better - so GM did something different. So I did have questionable road conditions, and I can't rule out suspension issues, but otherwise never had suspension problems - and I was the original owner. Also I was more comfortable driving the 94 in the snow than in the rain. Sweet looking ride though!
    Last edited by BlackGTP; 01-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you post that on You Tube?
    No i did not have my go pro camera at the time. This summer when i go back i will take a video as im not about to do those speeds on a main road then post it on youtube.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    I disagree with you on Baruth's attitude on the 2012 Impala. In his review he compared its performance to a 5 series.

As for W rubber, maybe it was cheaper for GM to buy W rubber off the shelf in that size rather than commission an old ball 50 series tire with a lower speed rating.
    I stand corrected. I was scanning the headlines, the Impala test was tagged onto the Cruze drive, which was not readily apparent. And I'm not heavy into poetry...

But Baruth did seem to like his Impy driver. LS I believe it was. Sounds like a nice car.

I don't spend time at TTAC, I'll have to check it out a bit.

correction. In the TR listings, there are only about five 235.50.18 tires that are lower than V speed rated. So it's just a matter of "What Goodyears can we put on that LTZ?"

Fiddlesticks.

Chivvlay seems to like crap GY tires for some reason, and they replaced the LS with RS-A which are also poor tires but have a higher speed-rating.

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    I have had my 03 Impala up at a hundred once or twice with no weird feelings, but the fact that I was on I94 doing 100 was different. These cars are perfectly capable of exceeding 100.
    Fershur. Or cruising at 90.

Quote Originally Posted by 01sunfire01 View Post
    No i did not have my go pro camera at the time. This summer when i go back i will take a video as im not about to do those speeds on a main road then post it on youtube.
    Smart. K Mart smart.

Those guys that post their top end runs--usually taken at night, BTW, talk about double crazy--on You Tube are probably asking for some cop with a lot of time on his hands to figure out when and where, and eventually enhance patrols or set up a trap there some Saturday night. Just sayin.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-01-2013 at 06:25 PM.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

In Canada they have charged them with the video as evidence! No idea how it passes, I mean you could easily just speed up video and photoshop gauge needles. Justice has gone to hell...

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    In Canada they have charged them with the video as evidence! No idea how it passes, I mean you could easily just speed up video and photoshop gauge needles. Justice has gone to hell...
    Don't know about lawsuit mania in Canada, but I can see some sharp attorney photoshopping a "top speed video" and posting it. Wait for the authorities to show up.

And sue the hell out of them for 1st Amendment obstruction and harassment. Just a matter of time...

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    They are still RS-A's, so they are still crap tires. The same tires are on the Caprice and Impala PPV as well. I have no idea how these tires are bought by every OEM, fleet, and agency, yet in this size they typically retail in the high $200 range. Higher than a much better Michelin or Continental.

Jo Momma

Thanks

So, the short answwer is nobody here knows.
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

Thanks

Take one for a test drive and find out for yourself. Taking a car you're potentially going to buy into the triple digits is pretty important
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't know about lawsuit mania in Canada, but I can see some sharp attorney photoshopping a "top speed video" and posting it. Wait for the authorities to show up.

And sue the hell out of them for 1st Amendment obstruction and harassment. Just a matter of time...
    Thank God you guys have a real constitution. Ours has a "notwithstanding clause" that can and has been implemented whenever the government feels like it doesn't want to abide by it.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    They are still RS-A's, so they are still crap tires. The same tires are on the Caprice and Impala PPV as well. I have no idea how these tires are bought by every OEM, fleet, and agency, yet in this size they typically retail in the high $200 range. Higher than a much better Michelin or Continental.

Jo Momma
    The RS-As sucked on my wife's 99 Sebring coupe. Big time. I'd give them maybe 1 out of a possible 100 for snow traction.
    Some things never change. Do Pirelli Cinturatos still suck too? They did in 1970.

Someone is either cutting a helluvva deal, or someone's getting bribed. Oh wait, that's called lobbying now. Perhaps someone at GY is doing a great deal of lobbying, hey? You know, like pharm reps do to physicians?

I don't know how a maker can, with good conscience (no that's not a joke), put such crap tires on so many cars. I'm surprised no one, like a large metro or state police agency, has yet filed a class action vs. GM and Badyear. Firestone and Explorers, anyone?
    Do any fleet managers do tire research?
    The cop on the beat must give some feedback about these tires.

Quote Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
    So, the short answwer is nobody here knows.
    No one knows. I'd guesstimate with 98% certainty of being correct that the LTZ is governed as the LS and LT are.
    There are very few tires in this size that are NOT W, V, or Y. The lowest rated ones are H.
    So I was asking the question from the wrong direction.

If I'd looked at the tires in 235.50.18 size, I'd have seen that most were well beyond H rating. And since Chevy Tire Buyer seems to like or is motivated by outside factors to buy Badyears--I'd have no problem if they used Tripletreads, but these--the tires will be speed-rated well beyond what the governor will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Take one for a test drive and find out for yourself. Taking a car you're potentially going to buy into the triple digits is pretty important
    You're right. Or better yet, rent one and head for Montana. Don't forget to make a foil hat for that ******* OnStar antenna.

Thank God you guys have a real constitution. Ours has a "notwithstanding clause" that can and has been implemented whenever the government feels like it doesn't want to abide by it.
    It's good to have one. When our Humble and Loyal Servants keep passing crap like FISA and the "round 'em up, soldier!" law, not to mention allowing drones--all for our "safety" of course, isn't it always?--the written document that was being abused by G. Washington himself during the Whiskey Rebellion, loses its strength.

If you want a fascinating read, check out Patrick Henry's ("Give me liberty or give me death!") view of the US Constitution. Contempt is too nice a word.
    I've been reading Lion of Liberty by Harlow Giles Under, and it sends chills up my spine (no thrill up the leg, sorry) and occasionally keeps me up at night.

― Thomas Jefferson

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    Hey Neanderthal, keep an eye out for the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 coming out in June. It has the same tread block design as the Defender and Pilot Super Sport, with more siping than the latter and less than the former.

Compared to the Crapyears, they shoukd be quite spectacular, Old Man River.

Jo Momma

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 4 door chevy truck,loaded

Does anyone know for a fact if the Impala LTZ--specifically the 2012-13 but general information would be interesting--is governed to 110~ as the LS and LT are?

I searched You Tube but did not find any video of someone taking their 3.6 Impala to the top. How odd.

BUT, given that the cop cars and the LTZ both have W-rated tires (168 MPH) and similar suspensions, and the LS and LT have T-rated tires, I'm wondering if the Chibby boys snuck a surprise in there. Or not.

Just curious, no plans to go to the 148 the cop cars will achieve with the same powertrain and gearing. Oh wait! I don't have an LTZ or LT yet!

Happy New Year!
    Valid question (Festus) and believe me when I say-I share your pain with the whole 'governer thing' limiting my top speed! Nothing irritates me more than the manufacturers of my vehicle that I paid for decide when I am going fast enough. I got stories about those governers puting me in jeapordy.
    Have you considered the new SS that will be out soon?.......

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tomko's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know how a maker can, with good conscience (no that's not a joke), put such crap tires on so many cars. I'm surprised no one, like a large metro or state police agency, has yet filed a class action vs. GM and Badyear. Firestone and Explorers, anyone?
    Do any fleet managers do tire research?
    The cop on the beat must give some feedback about these tires.
    Police tires are tested. https://www.justnet.org/pdf/2011-Pol...Evaluation.pdf You'd be surprised how well RS-As hold up against the competition.

I run RS-As on my police spec Tahoe during non-winter months and have no complaints about them.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
    1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
    1984 6000 STE (first car)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6

Talk about a random smattering of crap, if Ive ever seen one.

The RS-A's are nice in dry weather with more than 2/3's tread. Get into wet and snow and your screwed, and get past a few thousand miles and it sounds like a stabbed polar bear.
    Coopers are for cheap asses.
    Pirelli's are just too damn stiff.
    Nitto's are meh, I won't comment from lack of experience. The Crossteks fit somewhat into the Cooper territory.
    Nokian? How the hell does Nokian get into testing, but no Continental or Michelin does? Every Nokian Ive ever seen is crazy expensive, however they are the best all season tires for winter.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

If only the government could implement the notwithstanding clause on Quebec and get them to shut up and fall inline with the rest of Canada.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information