Leather - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Re: Leather

I too prefer cloth over leather or other types of synthetic upholsteries striving to mimic natural hides, but regretably if I were to buy a luxury car I don't even have the choice. It does appear that leather has vanquished cloth in the all-important battle of public preception. Even mainstream brands routinely relegate cloth upholstery to lower trim-levels, while top drawer models are usually leather exclusive. It's a sign of the times when an $18,000 Sonic LTZ can only be had with fake leather, while the cheaper models get by with cloth seats.

Wasn't always like this. Back in the 70's and 80's, Cadillac and Lincoln customers were offered a wide variety of choices in cloth or leather, (Medici Velour anyone?) and Mercedes offered the option, rarely seen stateside, of finely woven velour. So what happened? Why did things change? A car is not luxurious simply because it has leather seats.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

If the leather is a good quality, and lasts a long I'd rather have that. While I prefer cloth in terms of feel, a good leather will be able to stand up to more abuse than a cloth seat can. Leather cleans up easier, doesn't stain as easily, and it doesn't retain smells as easily as a cloth seat will. However, leather seats do make for a terrible material for a racing seat...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    If the leather is a good quality, and lasts a long I'd rather have that. While I prefer cloth in terms of feel, a good leather will be able to stand up to more abuse than a cloth seat can. Leather cleans up easier, doesn't stain as easily, and it doesn't retain smells as easily as a cloth seat will. However, leather seats do make for a terrible material for a racing seat...
    We have a winner here. In the days when I coached little league, leather was so much easier to clean. Even the most careful kids or adults have accidents and I never had any problem when a spill occurred. A little leather cleaner with a soft cloth and the seats were as good as new. If I look back at all the cars I've owned, I never had a car with cloth seats.
    -
    The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released a new survey today, apparently 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

I prefer leather but I wouldn't be against purchasing a vehicle with high quality cloth seats. I actually really like the cloth used by VW. The cloth in our Golf is quite nice. From what I can remember, it has been a while since I looked, Volvo's also have very nice cloth seats.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    Mercedes will happily supply you vinyl or cloth I like leather seats though, but should be heated
    Hey Mercedes is going to be mad at you. That vinyl is called leatherette, which sounds so much more upscale.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/02/04/le...ld-you-choose/

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Hey Mercedes is going to be mad at you. That vinyl is called leatherette, which sounds so much more upscale.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/02/04/le...ld-you-choose/
    They'd still be mad at you too! It's MB-Tex and only MB-Tex

That said, MB-Tex is probably the best seat covering. With zero maintenance, it still manages to be decently soft and comfortable decades later. Regular vinyl seats always crack split and tear, cloth wears out and gets "thin" or tears, leather especially if neglected cracks and delaminates... but MB-Tex, it always looks the same. The rock of ages It doesn't get too hot like vinyl either.

Thanks

I have had cloth and leather and much prefer the leather. I never have to worry about it staining or smelling (a plus for a smoker) and I find it to be more comfortable on long drives. Plus the new cloth used today isn't as nice as the stuff they used a few years ago.
    Current:
    2013 Ford Explorer Xlt 4x4

Former:
    2002 Ford Explorer Xlt V8 4x4
    2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4
    2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
    2011 Chevy Cruze LT

RIP LPD 317 NJSP 6397 Gone but not forgotten

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex725 View Post
    Plus the new cloth used today isn't as nice as the stuff they used a few years ago.
    This is my biggest complaint.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Inkmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

I think for a luxury car....leather is a must.

But, it would be nice to purchase all/most options in a vehicle along with cloth seats. For example, in my pickup, I wanted a power seat because of the height adjustment, well I could only have it if I took leather.
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

Thanks
    My Ride
    Saab, Cadillac

I dislike cloth because it causes my shirt to bunch up in the back. I do like the smell of quality leather though, especially in BMWs, Jaguars, and Cadillacs.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information