K&N highflow intakes-Do they really work?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K&N highflow intakes-Do they really work?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC baby-vortec2900's Avatar
    Thanks

K&N highflow intakes-Do they really work?

I drive a Colorado with the Vortec 2900 which is a solid motor but as most are, I am always after more power. I have seen a lot of cars with the K&N performance parts so I got to looking on the website for engine specific parts for the Colorado. I found a high flow intake that promises around 9 more horsepower with a slight mileage gain. Its not out of reach for me price wise but it does cost enough that I want to make sure that it will really work. I know that some of you have K&N products on your cars and trucks or know somebody who does and can give me some feedback. I am simply looking to get the most bang for my buck as far as cheap power boost without having to re-do the whole truck which runs into some money.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 E. Haskell's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: K&N highflow intakes-Do they really work?

Waste of money.
    "But you are right, the Camaro gives the most bang for the buck" - Simon says

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baby-vortec2900 View Post
    I drive a Colorado with the Vortec 2900 which is a solid motor but as most are, I am always after more power. I have seen a lot of cars with the K&N performance parts so I got to looking on the website for engine specific parts for the Colorado. I found a high flow intake that promises around 9 more horsepower with a slight mileage gain. Its not out of reach for me price wise but it does cost enough that I want to make sure that it will really work. I know that some of you have K&N products on your cars and trucks or know somebody who does and can give me some feedback. I am simply looking to get the most bang for my buck as far as cheap power boost without having to re-do the whole truck which runs into some money.

Thanks
    Here's a very thorough test of different air filters:
    http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

The bottom line is, the initial pressure drop of the K&N was 0.4% lower compared to the stock filter, which would be worth ~0.8 hp in your vehicle.

However, it got clogged up in less than half the time and allowed 1800% more dirt into the engine. Which means normalized for time it allows like 50 times more dirt into the engine.

Thanks

A K&N filter is perfectly fine if used correctly. It depends on whether or not you want the added expense initially plus the 'recharge' cost. If you plan on recharging it about every 10,000 miles it'd be fine. But I wouldn't put it in and try to go 50,000 like they say.

I tried one in my Sierra and Yukon, and the difference in power and fuel efficiency wasn't noticeable.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    Here's a very thorough test of different air filters:
    http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

The bottom line is, the initial pressure drop of the K&N was 0.4% lower compared to the stock filter, which would be worth ~0.8 hp in your vehicle.

However, it got clogged up in less than half the time and allowed 1800% more dirt into the engine. Which means normalized for time it allows like 50 times more dirt into the engine.
    Did you notice the AC Delco ratings? It's a wonder air even passes through after a while. No mention of that, though! LOL! So, it's looks like your engine is gonna either eats dirt or starve for air!

Other than my Sierra, I use NAPA Gold.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Did you notice the AC Delco ratings? It's a wonder air even passes through after a while. No mention of that, though! LOL! So, it's looks like your engine is gonna either eats dirt or starve for air!

Other than my Sierra, I use NAPA Gold.
    I think you read that wrong. The difference in pressure drop between the K&N and AC Delco is just 0.061 psi, which means ~0.8% less power.

Those are the initial values, after a rather short while the AC Delco actually makes more power than the K&N, because the K&N clogs up so fast.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

You won't notice a difference without adding a source of air that's outside of the hot engine compartment. A filter swap might help your throttle response and a warm air intake might help your mileage, but a true cold air intake will help make more power, but don't expect to really feel it. A ram-air intake will help at speed, but only if you've got proper air flow through the tubing. Most of the time to see the benefits of an intake you need to open up the exhaust and retune the ECM to take advantage of the extra air flow.

Filters on open intakes do get dirty quicker, but you shouldn't have any problems as long as you clean the filter every 10,000-15,000 miles and do not over oil the filter. Over oiling can lead to a dirty MAF sensor.

I've got a ram air intake with a cat-back exhaust on my stock tune Silverado and I noticed a little increase over stock in the throttle response, higher-end power and fuel economy departments.
    Andrew - Facebook - Flickr - KD5FHW
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 ECSB LS
    2001 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent
    2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT Turbo - The Thread

Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Thanks

Son put one on his Silverado along with a Flowmaster ex. Actually gets less mpg now since he's always into the throttle heavier. Really a nice sound with the intake noise and the muffler tone. Really not worth the money considering the high cost though. Looks nice, sounds good. That's about it.

Banned
    Thanks

My advice. Keep your vehicle stock.
    K&N is a joke, out to get ya

Thanks

If you are talking about just a replacement K&N air filter then you probably won't see an increase in power. The limitting factor in this case is the air cleaner itself. The inlets are usually small and pull air from very resticted areas. People will argue that they pull air from cooler areas but it is restricted nonetheless. If you are talking about a K&N Performance Intake that is a different matter. People again will argue that since it is pulling air from inside the engine compartment that it will not work but these people are wrong. You can put a scan tool on any car or truck and verify IAT (intake air temperature) with a stock air cleaner and with a performance intake and you will see once the car is moving the readings will be virtually identical. You should always take what you read with a grain of salt, i'm sure many people here will disagree with me, but I have first hand experience with these kits. I have seen the benefits first hand on Chassis Dynos and driving these cars as I work in the Automotive Aftermarket industry. One thing you need to keep in mind is that when you do more than one modification you can run into trouble. Adding one modification may gain you power but adding a second one can sometimes lose you power. I have seen this first hand as well. One time while testing an 04 F150 on the dyno the gains made from adding a Performance intake were lost when we proceded to reprogram the computer with a Hypertech Power Programmer. Your vehicle has a Bosch Mass air Sensor which is very sensitive to changes which is good for making power but can also lose power if the Proper R&D work is not done during the development process. Simply bending a tube and throwing a filter on will most definitely increase the air flow but if it doesn't match the vehicle requirements it can lose power. I would reccommend either K&N or AEM for a performance intake as I know they dyno test every kit they develop.
    Last edited by 61BelAir; 06-27-2008 at 12:41 PM.

vsd
    Thanks

Most people here are talking just about the filter, not an actual intake. People have been using aftermarket intake systems, be it short ram or cold air to improve power for a long time. Personally I do use just a filter in both of my cars, and while I haven't noticed any difference in power I have picked up a few MPG in both of them which is more important to me, plus I can clean them vs buying new ones.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

The intakes work if you use the intake system. If you can find one designed for your car/truck they will work really well. They will work even better with an exhaust system on the other end. Remember, an engine is a big air pump.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

If you want the most bang for your buck...........how does free sound?

So it's pretty clear that the "filter" itself isn't going to add hp, but rather the replacement of the intake assembly. And you get the extra power because of less restriction.

So here's my plan. Keep your stock intake, but locate the silencer box, or resonator....and cap it off somehow so there's a more direct flow from the filter-side to the throttle body-side.

You won't get the same gains as a highly tuned aftermarket one.....but again this is FREE hp.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGS View Post

I've got a ram air intake with a cat-back exhaust on my stock tune Silverado and I noticed a little increase over stock in the throttle response, higher-end power and fuel economy departments.
    ive been looking at ram air for my truck, what did you use? i really like those hoods (cant remember the name) at stylintrucks.com
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

get a short ram air intake and a cat back exhaust so you will get a good difforence. my g5 stock it dynoed 153whp after cat back and intake i put down 166whp

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information