June '07 Motor Trend: MDX vs. CX-9 vs. Acadia - The GMC Comes in Last - Page 6

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: June '07 Motor Trend: MDX vs. CX-9 vs. Acadia - The GMC Comes in Last

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC AZian's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: June '07 Motor Trend: MDX vs. CX-9 vs. Acadia - The GMC Comes in Last

Quote Originally Posted by mkaresh
    3rd: Acadia -- roomiest and smoothest ride, but ungainly handling and numb steering compared to the others

2nd: MDX -- most fun to drive, but third row tight and hard to access; controls also too complicated

1st: CX-9 -- nearly as fun as the Acura, but with a roomier, much easier to access third row and much lower price

Least positive review I've seen, but also against the toughest competitors. It's a matter of priorities. The Acadia isn't going to fare well against the MDX and CX-9 if handling during aggressive driving is a priority.
    That is such crap! The MDX is in a completely different class than the acadia! If that were a highlander or pilot, the outcome would have been different, I guarantee.
    When a man's knowledge is sufficient to attain, and his virtue is not sufficient to enable him to hold, whatever he may have gained, he will lose again.
    Confucius, The Confucian Analects
    I am Asian, I am American. Anybody got a problem with that?
    Me: 2002 Honda Accord 140k miles young
    Dad: 2007 Toyota Camry
    Mom: 2007 BMW X5 4.5

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smk4565
    The Lambda family is too big, they should have made them more CX-9 or MDX sized. You could still get a kiddy 3rd row seat in, and they could shed 500 pounds, make in handle better, accelerate faster, use less gas, and replace the Trailblazer and Envoy which are terribly dated. The interior of the Acadia reminds me a lot of the Yukon, it is the same big box with 4 captains chairs and a bench in back. To me, the Yukon, Suburban, Escalade, Tahoe, Enclave, Outlook and Acadia are all in the same segment. Then in the mid SUV segment they have a near 7 year old trailblazer, and that dated Equinox below that.
    If the Lambdas were slightly smaller and lost a bit of the space that they have in the 3rd row/behind 3rd row, that would take away a large part of the point of the Lambdas and they wouldn't stand out nearly as much.

This comparison test was mismatched. I remember a comparison with the Cadillac SRX, Dodge Magnum, Volvo V70 Cross Country, and a fourth car that I can't remember but want to say it was the Subaru B9 Tribeca. Anyways, the SRX came in last. :dizzy:
    I also remember in 2005 when they compared sporty compacts. In order...
    5th: Chevy Cobalt LS with the Sport Package (basically an appearance package)
    4th: Ford Focus ST
    3rd: Kia Spectra SX
    2nd: Toyota Corolla XRS
    1st: Mazda 3s

Might I add that the Mazda 3s was an automatic transmission model while all the others were manuals?
    The Cobalt was automatically at a disadvantage because it was a base model with an sporty appearance package. The other models all had actual upgrades to the drivability, and all but the Kia Spectra SX had engine upgrades as well.

I would have liked/would like to have seen an Acadia/Outlook compared with not only the CX-9, but also the Hyundai Veracruz and Chrysler Pacifica, and when they come out the new Toyota Highlander, Ford Taurus X, and Honda Pilot, and maybe the Suzuki XL-7 and Subaru B9 Tribeca as well. The length range is a bit varied, but, these are all midsize 3-row midsize crossovers that will be compared.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Level I Members
    Thanks

The CX-9 has a usable 3rd seat. And it is smaller than a Lambda. Actually the Lambda's have a better 3rd row seat than the Yukon/Tahoe, or any of the Mercedes SUVs. But if you package space right, you can get the 3rd row without making it huge, and the Lambdas are much bigger than any of their competitors.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Re: June '07 Motor Trend: MDX vs. CX-9 vs. Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by genjy
    But who wants to drive a bland vehicle? Don't you want your vehicle to be fun to drive?
    There's a difference between bland and user friendly.
    I'd estimate 95% of SUV buyers will choose a comfortable ride over incredible handling dynamics. They will want something that will protect them in a crash rather than handle like a Ferrari. These are soccer moms and pops who don't know a fishtail from a dish of caviar.
    That's an inherent problem with enthusiast publication tests. The vehicles that win the comparos have greater appeal to the enthusiast editors and the enthusiast readers. But the car buying public wants a utility vehicle.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smk4565
    The CX-9 has a usable 3rd seat. And it is smaller than a Lambda. Actually the Lambda's have a better 3rd row seat than the Yukon/Tahoe, or any of the Mercedes SUVs. But if you package space right, you can get the 3rd row without making it huge, and the Lambdas are much bigger than any of their competitors.
    Usable for an adult sized person? The CX-9's 3rd row is not as spacious as the Lambda's nor is it quite as comfortable. Yes, I've sat in it.
    I can't think of any other 3 row crossovers that have three across seating in the third row; the Lambdas have that (not that 3-across would be especially comfortable, but it wouldn't be any worse than most midsize sedans).
    The CX-9 is 199.8 inches long, and the Outlook is 200.7 inches long.
    The Lambdas are sized and packaged similarly to most minivans.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

0.5 second zero-to-60 advantage, minimal skidpad diff - "quicker more nimble cars?" hahaha- who comes in hot to a corner in these?
    If you really want to get mad -Buy the mag and read the lexus L Hybrid review - it really is 6, maybe 7 generations ahead of all cars -thats the jist of the article - from the smooth maple wood to the silky cvt transmission far superior to any cvt, blahblahblah

Thanks

How is GM ever going to improve when so many are willing to be apologists and not hold them responsible for producing vehicles that aren't competitive in every way. When we demand better only then will GM stop acting a victim and take responsibility for now being number 2.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VivienM
    The "Pontiac" one is the Acadia... it just became a GMC at the last minute.
    I think it was changed early enough in the developement process so that it's a different vehicle entirely.

In any case, I think they would still be doing themselves a service to make one of these that drove agressively and place it in the Pontiac showroom. It would be the perfect Ying to the Enclaves Yang.

"The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig
    How is GM ever going to improve when so many are willing to be apologists and not hold them responsible for producing vehicles that aren't competitive in every way. When we demand better only then will GM stop acting a victim and take responsibility for now being number 2.
    The Mazda CX-9 is a fair comparison in this test, but the Acura MDX is not. It's a smaller vehicle, and a luxury SUV at that. It really shouldn't have been in this test.
    Other than that, most people are complaining about the way the testers' priorities were set, which isn't something that GM can change. Do you think a midsize crossover vehicle like the Acadia/Outlook, which practically double as minivans, should have "fun to drive" at the top of their list? No--space, comfort, safety, and versatility should be and are the priorities.

The Lambdas are not bad vehicles. You seem like you are willing to think so since the Acadia came in third--last--place. They have been praised by many in the press, including Motor Trend themselves. There isn't much better to demand of the Lambda vehicles.

Thanks

Great trucks.
    Great performance cars.
    Great sports cars.
    Great family sedans.
    Great CUV's.

WTF are you talking about??????
    There are a few segments that they need to be competitive in, but are there any manufacturers in the world that succeed in as many categories????
    The answer is no.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dav305z
    I think it was changed early enough in the developement process so that it's a different vehicle entirely.
    But the red backlighting on the instrument cluster and the available HUD suggest otherwise...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar mkaresh's Avatar
    Thanks

I couldn't agree more.
    truedelta.com
    More useful reliability research -- need more GM vehicles!
    Real-world fuel economy
    Price comparisons, quick and thorough

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar mkaresh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AZian
    That is such crap! The MDX is in a completely different class than the acadia! If that were a highlander or pilot, the outcome would have been different, I guarantee.
    The Acadia's pricing puts it into competition with the MDX. An Acadia SLT with AWD, XM, and sunroof lists for $3,206 less than a base MDX, and the invoice prices (which have more effect on transaction prices) are only $1,800 apart. Adjusting for remaining feature differences brings the prices $300 closer together.

I don't have data here, but I'll venture that if you compare lease prices, the Acura could actually be less expensive, because of its slower depreciation.

GM caused itself further problems by loading the test Acadia to the gills. They do this often, even though it's a proven way to get hurt in comparison tests. The car magazines don't add enough points for features to compensate for the points they take away for the resulting high price.

The Motor Trend articles notes how much cheaper the test CX-9 was than the test Acadia. If the two had been equipped alike, the difference would have only been about $1,000.

Sadly, even though Motor Trend knows about my website (one of their people is on my panel) they'd rather continue to make sloppy seat-of-the-pants price comparisons than actually use TrueDelta's price comparison tool.
    truedelta.com
    More useful reliability research -- need more GM vehicles!
    Real-world fuel economy
    Price comparisons, quick and thorough

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

acura base price - 40.6, tested 48.5, mazda base 35, tested 39.5, gmc base 35, tested 45.4 -
    something smells wrong when they complain about a high-optioned vehicles price value- no? nothing said in the rvu about the warranty advantage-

Thanks

Who the hell corners in an SUV? Who the hell drag races in a SUV?

O nvm it's the soccer moms.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information