JC Penny Auto repair/ Firestone?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JC Penny Auto repair/ Firestone?

Thanks

JC Penny Auto repair/ Firestone?

From an article a while back there was a lady who owns a Mercury Comet, a '63 or so, that she bought new, and still has it and has over a million miles. For some reason I remembered reading about how she once bought a battery with a lifetime warranty from a JC Penny auto repair center (since it seems they used to have those around) but since they're no longer around, a Firestone repair center fulfills the lifetime warranty...

From my modern day observations it seems that wherever there's a JC Penny store there's a Firestone repair place nearby, at least around in Michigan. Did they sell out to them or something?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: JC Penny Auto repair/ Firestone?

JCPenney gave up on auto repair sometime in the mid 70s, if I recall correctly. They sold to Firestone, so most of those Firestones you see by the mall were likely once JCPenney Auto Repair shops. There are two such places in Columbus, one of which has actually outlived the JCPenney at that location.

I knew my knowledge of shopping malls would someday come in handy...

Last edited by The Other Guy; 11-28-2010 at 12:47 AM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by The Other Guy View Post
    JCPenney gave up on auto repair sometime in the mid 70s, if I recall correctly. They sold to Firestone, so most of those Firestones you see by the mall were likely once JCPenney Auto Repair shops. There are two such places in Columbus, one of which has actually outlived the JCPenney at that location.

I knew my knowledge of shopping malls would someday come in handy...
    I hereby nominate you for the position of GMI Mall Nobel Laureate.
    Seconds?

13Soul 11 200 V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99Golf TDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

"There are really no last, final campaigns. Each generation must renew and win again for itself, the precious gift of liberty, and the sacred heritage of freedom." Ronald Wilson Reagan

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I hereby nominate you for the position of GMI Mall Nobel Laureate.
    Seconds?
    Seconds? What is this, Home Town Buffet?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

There used to be a seperate JC Penney auto service store near the main JCP store
    at the Palm Beach Mall in West Palm in the 80s. It is now a Firestone store.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

`the last car battery you`ll ever need... $45`

In 1974!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrNs...eature=related

`the last car battery you`ll ever need... $45`

In 1974!
    ha a big investment back then...a few years ago car batteries could be bought new for that but they like doubled in price the past few years.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 2doorpost's Avatar
    Thanks

The JCP autocenters flipped to Firestone in my area back in the 80s as well.
    I worked for Sears at the time, and they were our main competitor in the Mall. Eventually, our oil change racks were rented out to a nationwide chain, the Die Hard warranties were whittled down to 3 year replacement, and the whole thing went on the cheap.
    Last edited by 2doorpost; 12-01-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

Right. That is why it's good to know something about internal combustion engines or find some auto repair shop you can trust. But even good shops can make mistakes. A combo of knowledge + good mechanics will take you a long way vs knowing zilch about autos. Even with these modern nearly inscrutable machines, the basics are still the basics. Glad that turned out good for you.
    Last edited by amanda; 12-03-2010 at 07:39 PM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information