Ice possible in DIC

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice possible in DIC

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ice possible in DIC

Curious on how the DIC determines when to give an ice possible warning in the DIC. I drive a 2006 G6 GT coupe and have been watching when I get the message. Spring really hasn't arrived here in Mass as of yet. Some mornings I leave for work and it will be below freezing and not get a message at all. Other times, it will be above freezing and when the temp drops to 37 degrees F, I may get a message. I realize that it would be temp driven, but is there some sort of humidity or moisture sensor as well. I cant seem to find a logical pattern.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Ice possible in DIC

My G6 GTP says ice possible. I never really noticed when it said it, but I think it said it everytime it was below freezing. I know for sure that it says it when its really cold, but above freezing.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Banned
    Thanks

The DIC lets you know when the temp drops close to freezing. If the temp goes from 38 to 35, it wants you to know that it is getting cold and ice may start accumulating on bridges. It's just a vague notice to you really. The DIC has no idea what the current weather conditions are.

Thanks

I get the message at about 35 degrees.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTPapa
    Curious on how the DIC determines when to give an ice possible warning in the DIC. I drive a 2006 G6 GT coupe and have been watching when I get the message. Spring really hasn't arrived here in Mass as of yet. Some mornings I leave for work and it will be below freezing and not get a message at all. Other times, it will be above freezing and when the temp drops to 37 degrees F, I may get a message. I realize that it would be temp driven, but is there some sort of humidity or moisture sensor as well. I cant seem to find a logical pattern.
    From the service manual:

Outside Air Temperature

The body control module (BCM) reads the outside air temperature sensor. The temperature sensor is a 2-wire negative temperature co-efficient thermistor. The BCM provides 5 volts to an internal input resistor that is connected to the outside air temperature sensor. The outside air temperature is displayed in the driver information center (DIC) and the DIC is located in the radio. The temperature information is transmitted by the BCM for display in the DIC via GMLAN serial data message. The BCM provides the outside air temperature information in Celsius. The radio converts the temperature to Fahrenheit, if required.

The radio illuminates the ICE POSSIBLE message when the outside air temperature drops below 2.0°C (36°F). When the temperature rises above 5.5°C (42°F), the ICE POSSIBLE message turns OFF. The radio receives a GMLAN message indicating the outside air temperature from the body control module (BCM).
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

my G5 does that to i think anything lower then 36 it will say it but it dont say it on the radio it says in on the message center on the guages

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice feature.

My BMW has a similar thing. If it's that kind of temperature, it beeps on startup. It doesn't really tell you anything. Took me a long time to find out what that beep meant.

Thanks

I have never had it on in our G6, hahahahahaha!

Miami, mmmmmmmmmm

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT
    I have never had it on in our G6, hahahahahaha!

Miami, mmmmmmmmmm
    You weren't close to it on Easter?? I thought I saw cold all the way down to you...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

My G5 says Ice Possible if it is below 3C.

Thanks

My cts does it too, but the whole nav screen goes white and big letters and some icon , makes it hard to miss
    www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

You weren't close to it on Easter?? I thought I saw cold all the way down to you...

Yep, 53 degrees, that was cold, really.

It feels much colder down here sometimes due to the humidity.

Glad I got the heated seats in the G6 and Grand Prix, not too much fun in some of my old vynil/leather interior cars sometimes, yikes..it's like sitting on a block of ice.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

this is shown on the DIC under the speedo? my silvy sometime says ice on the rearview mirror where the temp is displayed. is this the same thing you guys are talkign about? i thought it just meant that the temp is undeterminable because of ice
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Smashing1's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I always thought that it meant there was ice in the system and an accurate temp could not be determined.

Thanks

Seen that in an older cadlillac not long ago, i had a laugh when i seen it come up.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information