I Can't Believe GM Used to Make... - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I Can't Believe GM Used to Make...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: I Can't Believe GM Used to Make...

Quote Originally Posted by GMMediumDutyMQ
    Those were the early ones, specifically RTS-01 and RTS-03 series buses. The A/C system was mounted in a specific manner to accomodate the sloped-back, and also to take advantage of having less mechanical parts to operate it.

Problem was, it didn't work. The system was less than efficient, and often got soot and dirt into the system, ultimately making it fail. The official rectifying design was the square-end cap on the 04, which housed the new, larger, and improved A/C system. Retrofit kits were available for 01 and 03 buses, and therefore, are very rarely seen with the slope-end intact.

Absolutely. I agree 100%! GM Design Studios has their own modified Transmode (delivered as windowless, empty shell) that has been converted into a transit bus-style vehicle, with large plexiglass windows. Looked cool when I ran into it a few years back. I'll dig up pix.

It was like "Children's Circle" or something like that. The motorhome only aired at the beginning and end of each episode, but if I remember my childhood correctly, it was a GMC.

If you like that topic, you may want to read my last article on my blog, http://gmtblog.blogspot.com. I've also found a contact for an engineer who not only worked on Turbocruiser projects (apparently there was up to a Turbocruiser 5), but also on Turbo Titans I, II, and III. I'm hoping to interview him in the near future, and write it up in the blog.

how about the GM Futurliners used in the General Motors Parade of Progress
    1941-1956

and as they look unrestored

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 327
    how about the GM Futurliners used in the General Motors Parade of Progress
    1941-1956

and as they look unrestored
    Those things are magnificent. NATMUS' unit was at the Eyes on Design that I worked at, hosted by the GM Tech Center. And egads, that thing was not only the sweetest piece of art-deco design I've seen, but it's an awesome monstrosity of engineering, too.

Dually wheels on the front steering axles? Crazy.

I did find one and a half for sale the other week. I have to dig up the ad, but basically it's for one complete unrestored Futurliner, the front and rear half of another one for parts.

All yours for $20,000.

If I had the cash flow and the restoration skills, I'd pounce on it. It'd make a heck of a cool RV coach...
    [center]
    Evan
    -----

Thanks

Those things are magnificent. NATMUS' unit was at the Eyes on Design that I worked at, hosted by the GM Tech Center. And egads, that thing was not only the sweetest piece of art-deco design I've seen, but it's an awesome monstrosity of engineering, too.

Dually wheels on the front steering axles? Crazy.

I did find one and a half for sale the other week. I have to dig up the ad, but basically it's for one complete unrestored Futurliner, the front and rear half of another one for parts.

All yours for $20,000.

If I had the cash flow and the restoration skills, I'd pounce on it. It'd make a heck of a cool RV coach...
    o really!!!!!!! Id like to see those pics, ive read through the massive amount of reading at www.futurliner.com. And it said something like there were 12 futurliners, 9 have been found, 2 used for parts. and one of the 9 is unrestorable because it was rear ended by another in a parade back in the 50s. Maybe you have found one of the missing. Theyre still looking for the missing 3.

Actually someone made one into a cool RV. Check it out here with pics of the found futurlinershttp://www.futurliner.com/other.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61
    I also forgot to say that luggage and passenger room is at a premium, too.

When I was 16 WAY back in 1998, my parents told me they'd pay half of any new car on the Chevy/Oldsmobile lot (within reason). It was the end of the model year, so pickins were slim.

There was a white V6 Camaro, well optioned out, and a loaded Malibu LS. I drove the Camaro. I hated everything about it, except--even as a V6--the engine was decent. I chose the Malibu, to the shock of everyone. It drove better, had more stuff in it, I could actually fit normal-sized friends in the back seat, it was better composed on the road, and even the steering was a notch better. I couldn't believe how badly the Camaro drove. Shocked, I tell ya.

Of course, the power of a V8 and a color other than white might have swayed my teenaged mind at the time, but barely.

And I'm not sure what you mean about the Chrysler remark...
    The Camaro's an awesome car but the Malibu is more practical. You're quite lucky that you got a nice car like that though. My only problems with the F-bodies were the interiors, they were god awful, they looked like they came right out of a J-Body or something but the point of those cars is burning rubber lol.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 327
    o really!!!!!!! Id like to see those pics, ive read through the massive amount of reading at www.futurliner.com. And it said something like there were 12 futurliners, 9 have been found, 2 used for parts. and one of the 9 is unrestorable because it was rear ended by another in a parade back in the 50s. Maybe you have found one of the missing. Theyre still looking for the missing 3.

Actually someone made one into a cool RV. Check it out here with pics of the found futurliners
    I remember that RV Futurliner written up in Car and Driver some time ago. Thought it was a neat thing; still do.

As for the one for sale, I think it's been known about. Could even have been the rear-ended one. I think you could restore it, it'd just take a lot of work. The sellers are including a solid rear and front clip to go with the bus.
    Voila.

You also get a solid front and rear section, too, apparently.

Part of me wishes GM preserved one of these for their Heritage Center. But, I'd really rather they restore what is the first GMC Aero Astro that they have parked behind the center.

There's a topic all in itself....
    [center]
    Evan
    -----

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen
    I love me a G body.

How'd you manage a burnout in a 90s Grand Am?

I video taped that burnout, and no there was no bleach involved. The tires on that car werent to great. That car would smoke the tires without an e brake or a wet ground.
    Hidden Content

1997.5 Buick Regal GS : 4'' Fenderwell CAI, Headers, 3.4'' Pulley, Catback, Tune.

Mid 13s run after run after run.

Elk
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson
    Right, GM with the EV1 and S10 EV, and Honda (yes) with the EV Plus, and Nissan with the Altra EV, and Toyota with the RAV4 EV, and Ford with the Ranger EV, and Dodge with the Caravan Electric...and that's just in the US which doesn't include Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen, and more than a few others.

But it was surprising that General Motors, of all companies, made an electric car.
    Yes it was because the EV1 was a real car. All of the other cars you listed are novelty cars. The EV1 had the range necessary to allowed it to replace a gas car. Anybody can put electric motor in a car, but making a car that someone can take to work everyday is a big deal.

People have made fun of GMs hybrids because anybody can shut off a car when its stopped, making a car that takes full advantage of an electric/gas drivetrain is a big deal.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elk
    Yes it was because the EV1 was a real car. All of the other cars you listed are novelty cars. The EV1 had the range necessary to allowed it to replace a gas car. Anybody can put electric motor in a car, but making a car that someone can take to work everyday is a big deal.

People have made fun of GMs hybrids because anybody can shut off a car when its stopped, making a car that takes full advantage of an electric/gas drivetrain is a big deal.
    The others weren't novelties. They had ranges that rivaled that of the EV1...and I'd never replace my car with the range of the EV1. A range of 100-150 miles is not good enough to replace my car. All of the above vehicles have a range significant enough to be used as a daily driver, though....just like the EV1.

Thanks

I remember that RV Futurliner written up in Car and Driver some time ago. Thought it was a neat thing; still do.

As for the one for sale, I think it's been known about. Could even have been the rear-ended one. I think you could restore it, it'd just take a lot of work. The sellers are including a solid rear and front clip to go with the bus.
    Voila.

You also get a solid front and rear section, too, apparently.

Part of me wishes GM preserved one of these for their Heritage Center. But, I'd really rather they restore what is the first GMC Aero Astro that they have parked behind the center.

There's a topic all in itself....

yep, that first 2 pics is the rear ended one, That last 2 is the Futurliner, that he partnered with Natmus and are both using it to get the rare parts

heres the rear ended one, With the Cut up one, Looks like hes getting quite the collection!

theres a 3rd one around there somewhere
    Last edited by 327; 09-16-2005 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks

don't forget the buick GNX and gmc syclone, or the buick inline8

it's striking when you see a nice classic car in the parking lot today side by side with modern crs. you understand THEN that they were on top of the world.
    not anymore...

Elk
    Thanks

The others weren't novelties.
    Yes they where.

Ok since you dont think the range is a big enough difference I will try to make my point with performance and power numbers. The EV1 had a 137 HP engine and it did 0-60 in 8.5 sec. The Honda Plus had a 66 HP engine and did 0-60 in 17.7 sec. As you can see the EV1 was a real car wall the Honda was just a novelty (actually lame or crap would be a more accurate word).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by johnd89
    it's striking when you see a nice classic car in the parking lot today side by side with modern crs. you understand THEN that they were on top of the world.
    Yeah...I know what you mean.

Kind of weird, isn't it?

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
    MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
    Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
    "Heaven knows how long it's been since I felt so out of place" ... Garth Brooks ... 'Learning To Live Again'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elk
    Yes they where.

Ok since you dont think the range is a big enough difference I will try to make my point with performance and power numbers. The EV1 had a 137 HP engine and it did 0-60 in 8.5 sec. The Honda Plus had a 66 HP engine and did 0-60 in 17.7 sec. As you can see the EV1 was a real car wall the Honda was just a novelty (actually lame or crap would be a more accurate word).
    The EV1 was just as much of a novelty as the EV Plus was. It's just that the EV1 could claim a quick 0-60 time while the EV Plus could seat four. Since most people don't need a car that can do eight seconds to 60 (which will dramatically lower the range of the vehicle) and many more need to carry more than one passenger, it would seem that the EV Plus (and Nissan Altra EV) would be the more practical choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnd89
    don't forget the buick GNX and gmc syclone, or the buick inline8
    "buick inline8?" You mean the Straight-8 engines they offered back in the 1950s? The same style that Chrysler offered...and Packard...and many other brands?

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The EV1 was just as much of a novelty as the EV Plus was. It's just that the EV1 could claim a quick 0-60 time while the EV Plus could seat four. Since most people don't need a car that can do eight seconds to 60 (which will dramatically lower the range of the vehicle) and many more need to carry more than one passenger, it would seem that the EV Plus (and Nissan Altra EV) would be the more practical choice.
    Funny that car should be spoken about here - I was behind one of the very few EV1s GM still owns on my way home from work in Auburn Hills, MI, the other day.

Still think it's a sweet car - and I kinda dig those alloy wheels. Would look 'interesting' on my Century Wagon - but I doubt the spacing's the same...
    [center]
    Evan
    -----

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information