how does the Chevy remote starter work?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how does the Chevy remote starter work?

Thanks

how does the Chevy remote starter work?

so i know it has a range of up to 200 feet, but a few questions.

1) if your inside you house and you pick up the fob...and the starter button is pressed and your car starts, you have no way of knowing its running, no?

2) when you get to your car after starting it with the remote, when you enter the car and its already on, do you just insert your key, then turn and it never cuts off? or do you have to turn the car off, then start it up again with the key.......i didnt do a good job of expalining.

the car is running cause you started it via remote. upon unlocking and entering the car that is still running without a key, do you just insert in the ignition and turn? then its driveable?
    Last edited by Minarets; 11-05-2005 at 09:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: how does the Chevy remote starter work?

1) You have to hit the lock button, then HOLD the start button down for 30 seconds before the car will start. Chances of doing it on accident are very slim.

2) Just unlock the car, get in, and put the key in the ignition and turn it to "ON."
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know the answer to your first question. As for the second, you simply insert the key and turn it to "ON" I had the opportunity to try it out while on a test drive with a G6 GT. When you get into the car while the engine is running, you will notice a light on in the instrument cluster indicating that the engine is running. I think it's an engine icon. There are no accessories on, just the engine running. When you insert the key and turn it to "ON", the accessories turn on. That's it.

The Recession may be over but the Greatest Depression has only just begun.

2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK 430
    1988 Nissan 300ZX 5 spd
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 [Sold]
    1992 Honda Accord EX Sedan [Stolen]

Knowledge + Action = Power that builds an experience which forms wisdom

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Recxjake
    30 seconds, wow that is long?!
    I was thinking the book (on my prior G6) said 30 seconds, but it never felt that long.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Thanks

I dont really see the the point of i guess, i mean yea its nice to warm your car up if its parked outside but thats it
    why not? cool in the summer, warm and de-ice in the winter

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I guess it just seems kind of lazy and waste of gas
    Yeah or it's a show-off tool. Some jackass with a Lightning was trying to be cool and start his car with remote before he got into it. Yeah, I was really impresed.

I think there were problems with this with the first generation FI cars that sometimes wouldn't start in the cold.

The headlights would come on to indicate the car was running.

Thanks

well of course its a lazy feature, but to me its as practical as an unlocking remote and auto wipers or the trunk feature on a fob, the list can go on and on

Thanks

On my G6 it only takes about 2 seconds of holding the start button to get the car to start.

2 seconds are what it reads on the instruction tags too.

First you press the lock button, the parking lights flash, then you press and hold the lock button, the car starts, you know that the car is running because the parking lights are on.

The car cannot be shifted out of drive and remote start is not available on cars with a manual transmission.
    You get to the car, you press the unlock button on the remote and get in the car, you put the key in and turn it to start, it will not scratch the starter, since there is a grind prevention built into the starter on most if not all new GM cars that prevents the starter from turning again.

Do not pop the hood before you put the key in the ignition, if you do, the car will blow up.....just kidding, but it will turn off, also the remote start will not work if any of the doors are open or if the hood is up.

Also remote start is only good for 2 10 minute cycles, if you want to use it a 3rd time, you actually have to get in again and turn the key to accessory, this prevents a little kid from playing with the remote again and again, or if the keys are hitting something in your pocket.

You can turn off the car with the remote by pressing the start button again, or press the hazzard button inside the car.

It's not a waste of gas, the car is running for about 30 seconds on average before you get in it and drive away, if you live up north you can prevent damage by warming the car up and it makes the car more comfortable for the driver, plus since it will only run for either a 10 minute or 20 minute interval, even if you do start the car in the garage, there is little chance of monoxide poisoning.

Thanks

^^ thanks^^

Thanks

we've had some on our cars in the past and usualy we can see our cars from the window so on a cold day if u saw exhaust fumes then you knew it was on and we never used it in the warm weather. and as others said, just turn the key 2 clicks and it stays on.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar citric acid's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess it just seems kind of lazy and waste of gas
    If you live in a cold area, it's far from it. I've found there has been more than a few times I wished I had a remote starter. If you have to drive anywhere on an extremely cold winter day, it's the best thing ever.

Probably pretty useless if you live in Florida or something though.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by citric acid View Post
    If you live in a cold area, it's far from it. I've found there has been more than a few times I wished I had a remote starter. If you have to drive anywhere on an extremely cold winter day, it's the best thing ever.

Probably pretty useless if you live in Florida or something though.
    After sitting outside in the Sun for several hours in 103 degree weather, you would appreciate the remote start with A/C before you get in!!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

It`s not 30 seconds. Just hit the lock button, hit the start button and wait for the parking lights to flash. In all, it takes about 5 seconds from the time you hit the lock button.

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I was thinking the book (on my prior G6) said 30 seconds, but it never felt that long.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

It must be a seperate button on the remote isnt it?

Cause if you hold the lock button dont the doords just go into "deadlock" mode ?

Maybe different but on my Commodores they do and we don't have remote start

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    It must be a seperate button on the remote isnt it?

Cause if you hold the lock button dont the doords just go into "deadlock" mode ?

Maybe different but on my Commodores they do and we don't have remote start
    Mine is a separate button. You first hold down the lock button until it chirps and flashes the lights and then you hold the start button down for 2-5 seconds and it fires right up.

It's a very nice feature for cold or hot weather.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information