Honda & Michael Bolton

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda & Michael Bolton

Thanks

Honda & Michael Bolton

Okay, I'm sure most everyone has seen the current Honda ads featuring Michael Bolton...

Now, I'm a little confused. I had suspected these were supposed to be geeky, kitschy-cool ads, similar to the kind that Old Navy ran for years with C list "celebrities."

But I'm hearing from others in the media (both ABC & CNN) that these commercials are straight forward, and that Bolton is once again "cool."

Perhaps I am getting old and don't understand what is considered "cool" by the younger folk... But I don't remember Michael Bolton ever being considered "cool", even at the height of his popularity 20 years ago...

So, which is it? Is this now considered cool? And if so, can someone please stop the world from spinning. I want to get off this ride... Or at least, could someone just shoot me? Thanks for your help:

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Honda & Michael Bolton

Hondas aren't cool, least their automobiles aren't these days.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw the commercial the other day with my septuagenarian mother and she said "he's a suck."

Apparently during interviews he left her with the impression that he's a little difficult to deal with.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

I dont understand them at all.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

I was never a Bolton fan.

These ads are IMO an embarassment. I always turn them down or change channels when he comes on, wailing away.

Bolton looks like a has-been celeb who hasn't properly managed his retirement portfolio.

All this richardhead needs is a tin cup and some pencils...

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Okay, glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't "get it" when it comes to these dreadful ads!!!

They are truly awful...

Banned
    Thanks

All commercials are dreadful.

That is why I will never watch TV "live" and use my DVR instead.

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

I know where he can pick up a quickie 35 grand...

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I know where he can pick up a quickie 35 grand...

I doubt he has anything to give.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Okay, I'm sure most everyone has seen the current Honda ads featuring Michael Bolton...

Now, I'm a little confused. I had suspected these were supposed to be geeky, kitschy-cool ads, similar to the kind that Old Navy ran for years with C list "celebrities."

But I'm hearing from others in the media (both ABC & CNN) that these commercials are straight forward, and that Bolton is once again "cool."

Perhaps I am getting old and don't understand what is considered "cool" by the younger folk... But I don't remember Michael Bolton ever being considered "cool", even at the height of his popularity 20 years ago...

So, which is it? Is this now considered cool? And if so, can someone please stop the world from spinning. I want to get off this ride... Or at least, could someone just shoot me? Thanks for your help
    The news media is really the last place to get informative information from.
    He's not 'cool', but, as you said, it's that 'kitschy/campy/cheesy' aspect of it all, that makes it 'cool' (although that's a real stretch of the word). That's what the talking heads behind the breaking news desk don't understand. These 'celebs of yester-year' are only amusing because of their 'camp' value.

When these commercials first came on, I chuckled, only because of the pure randomness of Micheal Bolton popping up to help sell someone a Civic.

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jive View Post
    He's not 'cool', but, as you said, it's that 'kitschy/campy/cheesy' aspect of it all, that makes it 'cool' (although that's a real stretch of the word). That's what the talking heads behind the breaking news desk don't understand. These 'celebs of yester-year' are only amusing because of their 'camp' value.

When these commercials first came on, I chuckled, only because of the pure randomness of Micheal Bolton popping up to help sell someone a Civic.
    What? Those are Civic ads?

I thought it was a Progressive Insurance ad (without Flo), on how this guy was in so much pain, and VOILA! the magic of good insurance made his pain go away!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jive View Post
    I know... I was being a little sarcastic...

But sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the net ... The news media is laughable at this stage of the game; embarrassing really.

I just happened to have seen the third different Bolton/Honda commercial just before I posted the thread. The night before, CNN commented on how Bolton is making a comeback and these commercials were a big part of getting his name out there again. ABC "reported" that Bolton's music was gaining popularity with millennials, many of whom thought he was "cool"...

I do watch multiple news sources to get the "whole" story on most things. Pop culture really isn't one of them. I couldn't care less who anyone thinks is cool other than myself. I didn't care about it when I was in high school, I certainly don't care about it now that I'm in my 40's...

Just having a little fun with Mr. Bolton... Not a fan, but God bless him. Keep on doing what you do, Michael, if it makes you happy (and keeps you "gettin' paid")...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar voyager's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

What's in a name? Remember Mike Judge's Office Space?

GeneratinGMobilizing
    Good Day Shine

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I guess Honda doesn't want to be associated with that image anymore http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/gti_vs_civic when it wasn't the ones from the first "Fast & Furious" movie

Thanks
    My Ride
    Saab, Cadillac

The ads are clever. Bolton is still touring and performing and doing quite well for himself, not to mention his comedy work with Lonely Island.

Honda is taking advantage of the novelty/cheese/nostalgia of his name and image to generate a buzz that goes beyond TV ads. It's worked.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesda For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (12-01-2013)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information