Heated Car Seats can be Dangerous

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Car Seats can be Dangerous

Thanks

Heated Car Seats can be Dangerous

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4511220

It's no secret when people get in their cars on cold winter days, they want to get warm quick. That's why many drivers have seat warmers.

But an I-Team investigation exposes the dangers of turning up the heat. Sometimes these toasty seats can become too hot to handle.

The next time you sit in your car you may want to think carefully about turning on your seat warmers because you could find yourself in the hot seat.

Jessica Collins' first big purchase was her Volkswagon Passat and she got a big surprise one morning -- the smell was just horrible when she was driving to work.

"I smelled some wires burning and actually felt it burning towards the back of my leg." Jessica says.

A few months later, the same smell filled her car, this time when someone else was driving.

"I said pull over we have to check the seats," she said. "And it happened again, it burned two holes right up through the seat. They were about the size of cigarette burns."

The heated seat was the culprit.

The car dealer told her it was a problem with the temperature regulator. They replaced her seats and told her not to put the warmer on the highest setting. Now Volkswagon has recalled that part of the car.

And Jessica's not the only one who felt the heat. Several of the largest car manufacturers have already issued similar recalls.

"I don't think people realize they have the potential to be burned," said Dr. Cynthia Price.

The I-team took a Channel 3 mini-thermometer and put it on the seats of this Volvo. Within minutes the temperature raised to 84.

Dr. Price says it's easy to get burned when it's freezing outside and your enjoying a toasty warm seat.

"Just 40 degrees Celsius -- 104 to 110 degrees farenheit -- in enough to burn you.

The doctor advises if you're on a long drive, don't leave the heated seats on for several hours.

"If it feels too hot, you need to turn it off," Dr. Price said.

But it wasn't a matter of hours for Lenny Saponare.

"I was driving down the road and I noticed my leg was burning on the inside of my thigh," Saponare said."So when I got home, I checked and I had a big red welt on the inside of my thigh."

Saponare happens to be an electrician and he believes the car manufacturers need to look at the pressure being put on the heating coils inside the seats when you're constantly getting in and out of the car.

"If it shorts out probably half way or something that will cause the other part of the coil to heat up twice as bad and I have to believe that it could actually cause a fire," Saponare says.

The National Highway Traffic Administration has actually received hundreds of complaints about heated car seats. If you want to find out if there are complaints, investigations or recalls of your car you can click here .

“For the looks, I think the Charger tries too hard to look cool. It's the fat guy with a bald patch wearing fiery tattoos and a muscle shirt. The G8 is the mixed martial arts champion that strolls around in dockers and a golf shirt because he knows how to fight and doesn't feel the need to impress anyone with a tough guy outfit."
    Michael_S

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Heated Car Seats can be Dangerous

Another thing to think about is that heat can reduce the fertility of men - that's why some ppl reccommend careful use of laptop computers.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carver
    Another thing to think about is that heat can reduce the fertility of men - that's why some ppl reccommend careful use of laptop computers.
    Wooooohooooo! No wait I am already tutored.

After 16 years in this business I have never seen this, they usually just quit.

Thanks

Rofl ^

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Man I'm glad I read this article, I've got heated seats and wow..........
    This one's better then the article about how kitchen knives can cause you to cut yourself.................
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

Thanks

This is paranoia. Like any other component of a car, there is the potential for something to go wrong. Local news channels are always looking for some isolated incident so they can produce a sensationalistic story.

I wouldn't give up my heated seats even with the risk!

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

Volkswagen might have put their customers in the hot seat, but it's not enough not to care to spell their name correctly.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Give me a break.

Although, the seats in my dad's old 2003 Sierra would get REALLY HOTT, but it was nice.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ionredliner's Avatar
    Thanks

ya u proly got the 1 in a 1,000,000 chance that would ever happen. sry to hear but nice story to tell.
    Current Ride: 1991 Buick Park Avenue ultra 3.8 non s/c
    Future Ride: Unknown, help at my thread... http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32395

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC tuxmelvin's Avatar
    Thanks

HAHAHA! Any time my mom turns on the seat in her Chrysler T&C it shocks her! She has had nothing but trouble with that thing... but that's pretty much the story of any Chrysler product my family has bought. Yet we keep buying them... hmmm.
    web: marchdecember.com
    gmail: marchdecember

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

At one time, I used to drive my wife to work every day. About once a month she would carefully hit the seat heater button for my seat (when I wasn't looking), as she got out of the car. Needless to say, I would get the hot seat she planned, about a block away.

Other than that, we've never had any problems in 6 years.

This must have been from the same news team that said, "eating popcorn can kill you".

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

breaking news: when your heated seats feel too warm, you might want to turn them off

no crap.

and driving with the air condition on may make you chilly. it could even get you sick!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Thanks

"If it feels too hot, you need to turn it off," Dr. Price said.
    This man is brilliant! In other news, if you go outside during a snowstorm, we recommend that you wear a coat.

Edit: Crap, runningshoes beat me to the joke.

My wife used to hassle me about sitting around with a laptop on my lap saying that it was harming my fertility. Fortunately, her fears seem to have gone unfounded.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ionredliner
    ya u proly got the 1 in a 1,000,000 chance that would ever happen. sry to hear but nice story to tell.
    and a 1/1000 chance of getting hemroids without them. But not such a nice storey

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Saab put in heated seats since 1972 (first automaker to develop a heated seat) and no problems...

The heated seat allows the driver to relax properly and give full attention to the road much faster than a non-heated seat.

Turn off the ****************ing seat if it gets hot duh.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information