GM 3.6L - timing chain problems?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GM 3.6L - timing chain problems?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM 3.6L - timing chain problems?

After looking at many SUVs I keep coming back to GM's Acadia. GM sure did their homework on these things a very nice unit. However I've read quite a few issues with the 3.6 engine they use in the Lambda's and other GM products. Issues with the timing chaings stretching, camshaft endplay, cylinder heads etc. I know they have built over a 600,000 Lambada's with this engine and who knows how many other vehicles.

How common are these issues? Was there certain years or plants that had the problematic engines?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: GM 3.6L - timing chain problems?

Quote Originally Posted by sawyer99 View Post
    After looking at many SUVs I keep coming back to GM's Acadia. GM sure did their homework on these things a very nice unit. However I've read quite a few issues with the 3.6 engine they use in the Lambda's and other GM products. Issues with the timing chaings stretching, camshaft endplay, cylinder heads etc. I know they have built over a 600,000 Lambada's with this engine and who knows how many other vehicles.

How common are these issues? Was there certain years or plants that had the problematic engines?
    Seems like all years and all applications of the engine have the timing chain issue.

GM does the work under the powertrain warranty, so if it happens within the first 5y/100K, you'll be OK. Annoyed, but OK.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Seems like all years and all applications of the engine have the timing chain issue.

GM does the work under the powertrain warranty, so if it happens within the first 5y/100K, you'll be OK. Annoyed, but OK.
    Yes Suzuki too has the engine in their suv's and problems too.http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2007...n-problem.html

Also found on the forums here this thread
    Acadia 3.6L chain stretch

Seems like oil changes need to been done sooner then later also. I sure hope GM has fixed this problem as it sounds like this is this engines down fall.
    Last edited by sawyer99; 01-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

I think a lot of mech's will tell you that you should just change your oil sooner than the OLM tells you. Especially in the Lambda vehicles.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4x4 4.7L

Quick question on this... Why does this seem to be a more prevalent problem on the Lambda's than any other vehicle with this engine? I have a 2009 Saturn Vue XR with the 3.6L and I haven't really seen/heard of any of these problems in the Vue. Same with the Malibu, Aura, G8 or any other car that uses this engine. It seems like it is mostly noticed in the Lambda's.
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8 (seriously)

Current Rides: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4, 2001 Ford ZX2 (Work commute car) & 2009 Saturn Vue XR (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX & 1998 Honda Civic DX

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Are the Lambdas the only ones using the direct injected versions??

Thanks

I have a question about this.
    Years ago my CTS (2004 3.6) was making a strange 'bearing' noise, similar to a wheezy, perpetual brake disk grinding. I took it to the dealer twice under warranty and they claimed at both incidents that it was just fine. Well now that the car is no longer under warranty, I decided to replace essentially the entire front engine system, belts, tensioners, pulleys, even the power steering pump. To no avail. My thoughts now are that it is inside the chain cover, perhaps a bad pulley w/i, or whatever.
    My question is, does a stretched chain make noise? Could this be what my noise is?
    If so, would they retro act on the warranty since I complained about it twice? It is very irritating.
    Please help....
    Joel
    www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post
    Quick question on this... Why does this seem to be a more prevalent problem on the Lambda's than any other vehicle with this engine? I have a 2009 Saturn Vue XR with the 3.6L and I haven't really seen/heard of any of these problems in the Vue. Same with the Malibu, Aura, G8 or any other car that uses this engine. It seems like it is mostly noticed in the Lambda's.
    There are a ton of Lambdas on the road, and very few of the other vehicles you mention are optioned with the 3.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    CTS/STS/First-gen SRX?/Camaro

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post
    Remember, there are TWO versions of the 3.6. The DI 3.6 LLT is having the issue. The LY7, is the 3.6 without DI.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    No. The CTS, Camaro and Lacrosse use the LLT as well.

The problem is that the Lambda vehicles are 1000 lbs heavier than all other applications. They really need an bigger version of the 3.6 so that it doesnt work so hard to move all that mass.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks

Bump:
    Years ago my CTS (2004 3.6) was making a strange 'bearing' noise, similar to a wheezy, perpetual brake disk grinding. I took it to the dealer twice under warranty and they claimed at both incidents that it was just fine. Well now that the car is no longer under warranty, I decided to replace essentially the entire front engine system, belts, tensioners, pulleys, even the power steering pump. To no avail. My thoughts now are that it is inside the chain cover, perhaps a bad pulley w/i, or whatever.
    My question is, does a stretched chain make noise? Could this be what my noise is?
    If so, would they retro act on the warranty since I complained about it twice? It is very irritating.
    Please help....
    Joel
    www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Remember, there are TWO versions of the 3.6. The DI 3.6 LLT is having the issue. The LY7, is the 3.6 without DI.
    Both are having the issue. My SRX didn't have DI and it required new chains at 12,000 miles.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Both are having the issue. My SRX didn't have DI and it required new chains at 12,000 miles.
    That doesnt make too much sense. IIRC, they changed the timing chain when they went DI as the non-DI chain was bigger.

Regardless, I thought it was the LLT that has had the majority of the issues and the majority of those have been in the heavier products.

Thanks

GM should offer a 'customer satisfaction' warrenty of 10y/100k on these chains since it *is* a problem.

If my chain goes at 110k well then so be it. If it goes at 60K after 5 1/2 years Im gonna be PO'd
    ------------
    Goochman

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 91 s-10baja View Post
    Bump:
    Please help....
    Joel
    I don't recall hearing a noise, but it's been a few years. The red flag was the check engine light and the OnStar remote diagnosis.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 91 s-10baja View Post
    Please help....
    Joel
    I would call Customer Assistance and ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath for help on a car 7 model years old. But it never hurts to ask.

Ditto for the person who said don't wait for the OLM to change the oil. I wouldn't go over 4000 miles, and even less if towning or lots of stop and go.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information