Electric power steering sucks

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electric power steering sucks

Thanks

Electric power steering sucks

My mom's '07 Cobalt LTZ is the vehicle in question. My girlfriend and I took it up north to Traverse City over New Year's (Forester is awaiting a clutch job).

I know this "first generation" GM electric power steering sucked in comparison to the systems they have now but it's like at speeds other than parking maneuvering speeds the wheel wants to rip itself out of your hands. Why's it feel so "heavy"? My arms became tired just from driving a couple hours on US-131.

My Forester with its "numb" hydraulic power steering (as some reviews have called it) feels much better. Personally I'd rather feel as little as possible (as in my '74 LeSabre).

This is more of a rant than anything else...but any comments?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Electric power steering sucks

I had a car with something busted in the steering that made it numb, and it freaked me out a little. I don't even wear gloves when driving just to feel the wheel better. I dunno, it makes me feel comfortable driving faster

I thought one of the better steering I had was on a Mazda with a missing PS pump belt. When parking it was a bitch, but when on the road at 70 mph it felt 10 times better than with the pump working.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Electric power steering sucks

I would get that checked out pronto. This generation of electric steering has several known issues including interference and actual electric assist cut out due to a faulty alternator ground strap. The actual power steering assembly can also be suspect as I have seen many in these cars over the years being replaced. Weren't these car's recalled for a steering related issue?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information