E350 hit a deer!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E350 hit a deer!

Thanks

E350 hit a deer!

I've been slow on posting the pix from my Pocket PC, but last week on M50 heading out to a job in Vermontville, but I was riding shotgun with my dad when a sizable deer suddenly jumped out of ditch and we hit it at about 60 mph. Neither of us saw it coming. We're both unharmed, but our 2001 Power Stroke E350 took some damage. The deer didn't damage the hood or the bumper (somehow) but it did push a bit of the front structure back. The radiator came in contact with the cooling fan so we lost coolant and had to tow the van home. We took the radiator out and had it repaired and are driving it as is until the body shop is ready to take it in (want to keep downtime to a minimum). This happened at around 1 PM. My dad called the police and an officer came and filed a report. The deer (not pictured) was dead when we got to it. We told the customer about it and he came to get it for its meat and the officer gave him the tag to keep it.

BTW I rotated the photos and saved them using Preview (Mac). They're still rotated when I imported them to iPhoto, but show up sideways

My family hasn't had good luck with vehicles lately. This, along with my Forester...

Last edited by F14CRAZY; 11-18-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: E350 hit a deer!

You aren't doing to well with collisions with things are you? No one is going to ride with you if you keep this up. lol Anyway good luck with the repairs. Hopefully your insurance will treat you and your dad better in this case.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

See this is one annoying thing about USA. You go to Vermontville, which is in Michigan, not Vermont, and then you have Kansas City, which isn't in Kansas but rather Missouri, except that there actually IS a Kansas City in Kansas! I wonder how many people have booked plane tickets to Kansas City only to find out they landed in the wrong state

Truck doesn't look like anything a quick run to the local scrappy can't fix, lots of Econolines of that vintage availible... and white is the most common colour

Thanks

My parents have the van insured with Farm Bureau, so hopefully their treatment will be better than the treatment I've had with State Farm.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn, looks like a pretty hard hit. I'd be gettin' some of that venison for some hot chili on a cold night.
    Andrew - Facebook - Flickr - KD5FHW
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 ECSB LS
    2001 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent
    2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT Turbo - The Thread

Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Thanks

I'm waiting for a deer to jump out in front of me. Deer suck. We have tons of them lying along the side of the roads here.

Ps, you're missing a stud and lugnut too.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    See this is one annoying thing about USA. You go to Vermontville, which is in Michigan, not Vermont, and then you have Kansas City, which isn't in Kansas but rather Missouri, except that there actually IS a Kansas City in Kansas! I wonder how many people have booked plane tickets to Kansas City only to find out they landed in the wrong state
    You should try East St.Louis

There was a local woman who had a deer jump through the side window of her van and thrash about violently inside her van. She was besides herself thinking about what would have happend if her kids had been belted into her car. Then the animal lover in her couldn't imagine killing any deer so she just simply said "something needs to be done about all these deer without hurting them", in a very frustrated tone. I would love to hear her solution. This time of year is always a high point for deer/vehicle collisions so everyone should be extra cautious.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Riffle View Post
    I'm waiting for a deer to jump out in front of me. Deer suck. We have tons of them lying along the side of the roads here.

Ps, you're missing a stud and lugnut too.
    heh yeah, my dad hasn't got around to fixing that. Was not caused by the deer

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

That sucks for your truck, but even more for the deer

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala

That sucks. Good to here you weren't hurt though.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post

There was a local woman who had a deer jump through the side window of her van and thrash about violently inside her van. She was besides herself thinking about what would have happend if her kids had been belted into her car. Then the animal lover in her couldn't imagine killing any deer so she just simply said "something needs to be done about all these deer without hurting them", in a very frustrated tone. I would love to hear her solution. This time of year is always a high point for deer/vehicle collisions so everyone should be extra cautious.
    Fences?

Thanks

I would love to hear her solution.
    Fences?
    You ever see the South Park episode "Free Willicus"? That's what we can do with the deer.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Fences. Done, next case.

OR, you can shot them with birth control darts.

In anycase, I'm feel bad for the deer in the OP's story.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    ...when a sizable deer...
    Okay I don't know why, but this bit made me laugh out loud! Something about that sounds so funny to me! I'm still chuckling to myself 2 minutes later! Thanks for the laugh... but sorry about your van!

As for the 'deer thrashing about inside car' story, that reminds me of the movie 'The Long Kiss Goodnight', with Geena Davis...
    All are heartily encouraged to check out and join the Facebook group for my automotive blog: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theautomotiveattic/

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information