Detroit's Big Three trying to power up Motor City

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detroit's Big Three trying to power up Motor City

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Stephen McGee / for NBC News

The building has been abandoned for years, but its windows aren’t broken and there’s no graffiti on its walls – unlike so many other forgotten hulks nearby in the long-impoverished southwest corner of Detroit.

Community organizers promise to soon reopen the Mexicantown Mercado and turn it into an anchor for the city’s Latino community. They also hope to turn the complex into a shining example of what can happen in Detroit with help from the companies that transformed the once sleepy Midwest town into the Motor City.

As part of Operation Brighter Future, Ford Motor Co. is pumping $10 million into the resurrection of the Mexicantown Mercado – which will serve as a new food bank and community center and be renamed the Ford Resource and Engagement Center. Company officials, notably including new Chief Operating Officer Mark Fields, promise still more aid to come for the long-beleaguered Detroit.

Such moves are not entirely altruistic, said Fields. Detroit’s long-running problems don’t just serve as the butt of jokes when he travels, but the transplanted Jersey boy has also seen firsthand that it can be difficult to get others to migrate to Motown.

“The community we live in can be either a draw – or not – to get the best and brightest we need for our company’s future,” Fields said.

Article continues at link:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/business/detr...city-1B7818498

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Re: Detroit's Big Three trying to power up Motor City

I hope their efforts succeed. As for Fields saying it can be difficult to get others to migrate to Motown? Yes it must be, since he commutes "home" to Florida on weekends. Har! Good one, Mark.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I hope their efforts succeed. As for Fields saying it can be difficult to get others to migrate to Motown? Yes it must be, since he commutes "home" to Florida on weekends. Har! Good one, Mark.
    It won't be an easy task when we saw articles like Detroit tops 400 homicides http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...icides-in-2012

I spotted also that article from the Atlantic Cities about greening vacant lots http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...-violence/526/

And with the upcoming municipal elections of Detroit, one candidate need some anger menagement therapy class from what I read at http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-comments-RUDE

On a off-topic sidenote, enjoy that little comic strip about Detroit http://reason.com/archives/2013/01/03/detroit

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar voyager's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

Did anyone hear anything from the "Detroit needs Robocop" initiative (or something alike)?
    GeneratinGMobilizing
    "Motown callingArea 51"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    Did anyone hear anything from the "Detroit needs Robocop" initiative (or something alike)?
    I think Robocop will be overloaded and might request the help of Dirty Harry, Lt. "Popeye" Doyle, Frank Bullitt, Paul Kersey, John McLaine, Tackleberry.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    I think Robocop will be overloaded and might request the help of Dirty Harry, Lt. "Popeye" Doyle, Frank Bullitt, Paul Kersey, John McLaine, Tackleberry.
    Don't forget Frank Drebin!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 ZO6 / 2010 ZR1/2013 XTS/

I want Detroit to have a Renissance! I want the city to return to some of it's former glory. Chrysler,GM, and Ford need to invest in the infrastructure, and reopen those factories. Other corporations related to the auto industry need to move there. when more and more jobs are created, and people are again working, then the neighborhoods will come back. But most of all, Americans need to invest in the product. You don't create a job in Detroit by buying a car made in Germany or Japan.....

More 1st's in the Automotive Industry than Any Automobile......Ever!

"The Standard of The World" CADILLAC

Jake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    I want Detroit to have a Renissance! I want the city to return to some of it's former glory. Chrysler,GM, and Ford need to invest in the infrastructure, and reopen those factories. Other corporations related to the auto industry need to move there. when more and more jobs are created, and people are again working, then the neighborhoods will come back. But most of all, Americans need to invest in the product. You don't create a job in Detroit by buying a car made in Germany or Japan.....
    Maybe Detroit could use one or 2 tips from Pittsburgh who menaged to diversify their economy. Then also, before automobile industry established in Detroit. Detroit was a home of former lumber barons like David Whitney Jr. and was also a agricultural center. Michigan got a interesting potential of oil shale and gas shale and if they play their cards right; Michigan could be the Texas of the Great Lakes. They also need to improve the business climate and don't do what governor Jerry "Moonbean" Brown of California do currently with California. http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...siness-climate

Getting rid of the current municipal "clowncil" at the Detroit city hall would help as well.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar voyager's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

Detroit should seek activities that once again underline its automotive importance. Now these tend to shift towards California (Google robocars, Tesla etc.). Why can't Detroit play the role that Munich plays to BMW, Wolfsburg plays to Volkswagen?
    Last edited by voyager; 01-08-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    GeneratinGMobilizing
    "Motown callingArea 51"

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information