Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

  1. #1
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,457
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts

    Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    From Hemmings blog, a retrospective about the Merkur XR4Ti
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-merkur-xr4ti/

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,891
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 923 Times in 449 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    I always wanted to drive one, but never loved the styling - never looked cohesive to me. How times have changed with the competitors. SAAB, Audi and BMW. I think SAAB would no longer be mentioned today and Merc in it's place. Back in the 80's Mercedes wasn't very sporty....

    Amazing the disparity in HP between the automatic and the stick.

  4. #3
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    14,995
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    FORD

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I always wanted to drive one, but never loved the styling - never looked cohesive to me. How times have changed with the competitors. SAAB, Audi and BMW. I think SAAB would no longer be mentioned today and Merc in it's place. Back in the 80's Mercedes wasn't very sporty....

    Amazing the disparity in HP between the automatic and the stick.
    The gap in performance was far larger than the hp difference, amazing cars to drive never owned one but have driven a few. I owned its American step son the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

  5. #4
    6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,063
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    The styling grew on me after I sat in one. It was incredibly spacious and comfortable.

  6. #5
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,891
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 923 Times in 449 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    The gap in performance was far larger than the hp difference, amazing cars to drive never owned one but have driven a few. I owned its American step son the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.
    I didn't know the xr4ti and t-bird were on the same chassis. That's around when I was first getting interested in cars, so it's fun to get to understand the background of the 80's vehicles for me.

  7. #6
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    12,345
    Thanks
    1,448
    Thanked 222 Times in 140 Posts

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    I always loved the looks, inspired by the Probe III concept car as I recall.

  8. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Of The North
    Posts
    6,362
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 255 Times in 146 Posts

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    They're a rare sighting because they rusted away.

    I had the privilege of working at a LM/Chrysler dealer in those days, and we had the Merkur and I believe the Chrysler Laser (sp?).

    The dealer was away one day and the sales manager had the idea that we should have a drag race between the 2.3 turbo Merkur and the 2.2 turbo Laser.

    I was the Merkur driver. Unknown to me, the Laser would run overboost for x number of seconds, and it smoked me to 60 mph. Might have had a weight advantage too. I was catching up when we ran out of real estate.

    You can rest assured that the new car you purchased has been thoroughly tested by our service department.

  9. #8
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ed753's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,562
    Thanks
    1,334
    Thanked 742 Times in 479 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I didn't know the xr4ti and t-bird were on the same chassis. That's around when I was first getting interested in cars, so it's fun to get to understand the background of the 80's vehicles for me.
    I believe he was talking about the 2.3L Turbo that was found in both.

    I'm not sure what platform the XR4Ti car was on, there also was a Mustang SVO about the same time that too had the 2.3L Turbo, I drove all of them, as this was the era of my Ford Technician days, they were fun in M/T trim, spool-up the turbo and release the clutch........ (even though you could literally feel the car twist beneath you.

    Should give a shout-out to the Scorpio since we are talking Merkur, I remember well, my father-in-law had one, when I first saw it I said cool a high-end Taurus, then I saw the drive-shaft!? (it was RWD and looked like my Ranger under the hood with its 2.9L powerplant)


    Past: 2011 Ram; 2010 Commander; 2008 Sierra; 2007 Rendezvous; 2005 Ram; 2004 Grand Cherokee; 2003 F-150; 2001 Silverado; 2000 Jimmy; 1999 Sierra; 1997 Ram; 1996 Mustang GT; 1996 Jimmy; 1990 Escort GT; 1989 Ranger; 1984 Omni; 1976 Malibu; 1978 LeMans; 1985 Escort; 1982 Lynx; 1975 Sierra.

  10. #9
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,891
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 923 Times in 449 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    I believe he was talking about the 2.3L Turbo that was found in both.

    I'm not sure what platform the XR4Ti car was on, there also was a Mustang SVO about the same time that too had the 2.3L Turbo, I drove all of them, as this was the era of my Ford Technician days, they were fun in M/T trim, spool-up the turbo and release the clutch........ (even though you could literally feel the car twist beneath you.

    Should give a shout-out to the Scorpio since we are talking Merkur, I remember well, my father-in-law had one, when I first saw it I said cool a high-end Taurus, then I saw the drive-shaft!? (it was RWD and looked like my Ranger under the hood with its 2.9L powerplant)
    I always wondered what the 0 to 60 was on the SVO turbo - do you remember?

  11. #10
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    14,995
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    FORD

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I didn't know the xr4ti and t-bird were on the same chassis. That's around when I was first getting interested in cars, so it's fun to get to understand the background of the 80's vehicles for me.
    They were not the Thunderbird shared the Fox platform with the Mustang at that time. The main thing the Sierra based XR4ti shared with the Fox based Thunderbird was the engine with many names aka Pinto, Lima, T88, Taunus Inline engine. This engine is not as well known as some of the high hp capable import 4 cylinders, but has made over 1,100 hp with a built engine and enough boost.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I always wondered what the 0 to 60 was on the SVO turbo - do you remember?
    The times varied considerably, apparently some went as fast as 7.0 0-60 and 14.80's through a range of about a second on the slower side. The high range is about 7.8 seconds 0-60 and 15.60's to 15.80's in the 1/4 mile. They were not Mustang GT fast but they were very stout in their day. The SVO's benefits were its aero, stability at speed and better handling than the Mustang GT.

    My brother had a Merkur Scorpio, what a fine car in many ways including the strong for its time Cologne V6.

  12. #11
    Banned MCGARRETT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7,944
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 288 Times in 117 Posts

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    My brother had a Merkur Scorpio, what a fine car in many ways including the strong for its time Cologne V6.
    Have not seen one of these in forever!

  13. #12
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,891
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 923 Times in 449 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    They were not the Thunderbird shared the Fox platform with the Mustang at that time. The main thing the Sierra based XR4ti shared with the Fox based Thunderbird was the engine with many names aka Pinto, Lima, T88, Taunus Inline engine. This engine is not as well known as some of the high hp capable import 4 cylinders, but has made over 1,100 hp with a built engine and enough boost.



    The times varied considerably, apparently some went as fast as 7.0 0-60 and 14.80's through a range of about a second on the slower side. The high range is about 7.8 seconds 0-60 and 15.60's to 15.80's in the 1/4 mile. They were not Mustang GT fast but they were very stout in their day. The SVO's benefits were its aero, stability at speed and better handling than the Mustang GT.

    My brother had a Merkur Scorpio, what a fine car in many ways including the strong for its time Cologne V6.
    Thanks for the info - back in the 80's anything under 8 seconds was pretty quick. Even Ferraris and Porsches were in the 5's.

  14. #13
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Quixote88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,641
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 249 Times in 117 Posts

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    A friend of a friend still has two of these cars and both are in pretty good shape... Not showroom fresh, but very good "driver" quality. Turns out, he's a Merkur nut... He also owns a Scorpio which is also in pretty good shape. He let me drive one of the XR4Ti's last summer. Even though he told me that I could really push it, I took it easy. The car was sporting its original engine that had never been out of the car. I really didn't want anything to happen when I was driving it! After all, with my racing experience, when I "push it," it's a little harder than most folks.

    After cruising with the car for about 10 miles, I came to really like the Merkur. The suspension was supposedly tuned to factory spec and the car handled well. The seats, which were the originals that were reupholstered, were pretty comfortable. The XR4Ti had pretty good pick up, which would have been great acceleration back in the 80's, and the tranny had a pretty good shifter. Overall, it was a nice package. I know they can be had for a song nowadays, if you can find one in decent shape, so I would recommend one as a cheap weekend car for those who want something a little different than a Camaro or Mustang...

  15. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,093
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 178 Times in 119 Posts

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    My brother had a Merkur Scorpio, what a fine car in many ways including the strong for its time Cologne V6.
    Growing up, my neighbors had a matching pair of Scorpios. Always thought they were quite handsome cars.

  16. #15
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar FamilyTruckster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    2,836
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
    My Ride
    2011 Avalanche -Inferno Orange

    Re: Class of '86: Merkur XR4Ti

    I worked at a Ford dealer is high school. We had a new one on the lot for a couple of years before it sold.

    GM Pro Certified Sales Consultant/Business Manager
    - 2011 Avalanche - Inferno Orange

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2