Class of '86: Mazda RX-7

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class of '86: Mazda RX-7

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Class of '86: Mazda RX-7

From Hemmings blog including a vintage ad with James Garner
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...86-mazda-rx-7/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Class of '86: Mazda RX-7

Those cars were beautiful. I wish I could say the same for the current crop of Mazdas.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Amazing just how influential the shape of the original 924 was on subsequent sports car design. The 2nd gen RX-7, the '86 Supra, and the Dodge Daytona were all directly influenced by that one car.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric

Thanks

Within Mazda circles, most of the love is for the SA22C (series 1 - 3) or the FD (series 5 - 8), rather than this model (FC). There is a hardcore FC (series 4) group though. The series 1 - 3 first gen cars are starting to be collectable in good condition.

The biggest problem with any early RX-7's now is that it is almost impossible to find one in original condition - many have been modded in such a way that they are hard to get back to standard.

2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2003 Holden Berlina Wagon
    2002 Holden Berlina Sedan - SOLD !!
    1982 Mazda RX-7 - For Sale

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

This iteration still ranks as one of my all time favourite cars:

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I was fortunate enough to drive examples of both first and second gen cars when they were new: an 85 GSL-SE and a 1990 GXL. The former had the live axle and 135 hp, the latter had 160 hp, a 8000 rpm redline and a sophisticated irs. Guess which one was more fun to drive? The lighter, "cruder" 85 is the one I wish I had in my driveway right now. The second gen car was more refined and probably faster, but it lost the immediacy and chuckability of the earlier car. From what I've read, the third gen car was the best of both worlds, if the least reliable of the three. Love to try one of those one day!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 2doorpost's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought an 86 from a co-worker whose son had bought it new and had tired of it after 10 years.
    Midwest winters were particularly harsh on the sheetmetal and chassis - and at 500 bucks, it made a great beater car.

When the floors finally gave out, it got traded in on something a lot more solid- A 1976 Impala.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I was fortunate enough to drive examples of both first and second gen cars when they were new: an 85 GSL-SE and a 1990 GXL. The former had the live axle and 135 hp, the latter had 160 hp, a 8000 rpm redline and a sophisticated irs. Guess which one was more fun to drive? The lighter, "cruder" 85 is the one I wish I had in my driveway right now. The second gen car was more refined and probably faster, but it lost the immediacy and chuckability of the earlier car. From what I've read, the third gen car was the best of both worlds, if the least reliable of the three. Love to try one of those one day!
    I do have a first gen in the driveway as my weekender - great for motorkhana and cruising !

2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2003 Holden Berlina Wagon
    2002 Holden Berlina Sedan - SOLD !!
    1982 Mazda RX-7 - For Sale

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information