GM Inside News Forum banner

Class of '86: Mazda RX-7

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  isszy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Amazing just how influential the shape of the original 924 was on subsequent sports car design. The 2nd gen RX-7, the '86 Supra, and the Dodge Daytona were all directly influenced by that one car.

#4 ·
Within Mazda circles, most of the love is for the SA22C (series 1 - 3) or the FD (series 5 - 8), rather than this model (FC). There is a hardcore FC (series 4) group though. The series 1 - 3 first gen cars are starting to be collectable in good condition.

The biggest problem with any early RX-7's now is that it is almost impossible to find one in original condition - many have been modded in such a way that they are hard to get back to standard.

#6 ·
I was fortunate enough to drive examples of both first and second gen cars when they were new: an 85 GSL-SE and a 1990 GXL. The former had the live axle and 135 hp, the latter had 160 hp, a 8000 rpm redline and a sophisticated irs. Guess which one was more fun to drive? The lighter, "cruder" 85 is the one I wish I had in my driveway right now. The second gen car was more refined and probably faster, but it lost the immediacy and chuckability of the earlier car. From what I've read, the third gen car was the best of both worlds, if the least reliable of the three. Love to try one of those one day!

#8 ·
I do have a first gen in the driveway as my weekender - great for motorkhana and cruising !

#7 ·
I bought an 86 from a co-worker whose son had bought it new and had tired of it after 10 years.
Midwest winters were particularly harsh on the sheetmetal and chassis - and at 500 bucks, it made a great beater car.

When the floors finally gave out, it got traded in on something a lot more solid- A 1976 Impala.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.