Body on frame vs. unibody construction

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body on frame vs. unibody construction

Thanks

Body on frame vs. unibody construction

Pretend that I'm an idiot when it comes to the subject, and explain the advantage/disadvantage between the two, please.

I understand that with BOF, the body sits on a frame, basically, and the drivetrain is attached to the frame. With a unibody, the supporting structure is engineered-into the body itself. What I don't understand, is which one's better, and why. And why are pickups (aside from the Ridgeline) BOF, while modern cars (aside from the Ford Panther cars) are unibody.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 87silver's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Body on frame vs. unibody construction

Not feeling like pecking away at the keys to write a book right now, but this old timer would rather have a BOF for snowplowing and trailer towing. This should have its own set of implied reasoning and purpose. When it comes to a car for road driving pleasure, where the car and its occupants is all the work it has to do, a unibody is in order. I have both and each has their distinctive purposes.

Although very versatile, for these reasons, I consider "trucklike" vehicles such as the Ridgeline a car.

Thanks

Body-on-frame construction has advantages in the following areas
    - Towing/trailering
    - Ride quality (especially the heavier and larger the vehicle gets)
    - Durability
    - Accident repair costs are lower
    - Superior NVH

It has the following disadvantages
    - More expensive to manufacture
    - Heavier
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Pretend that I'm an idiot when it comes to the subject, and explain the advantage/disadvantage between the two, please.

I understand that with BOF, the body sits on a frame, basically, and the drivetrain is attached to the frame. With a unibody, the supporting structure is engineered-into the body itself. What I don't understand, is which one's better, and why. And why are pickups (aside from the Ridgeline) BOF, while modern cars (aside from the Ford Panther cars) are unibody.
    The unibody design is superior in pretty much every performance metric. Having a unibody is much stronger since it is "boxed" so to speak (think of like a sheet of paper vs a paper box). Because of the strength advantage you can reduce weight by basically "deleting" the frame-part and keeping only some reinforcements for suspension mounting, engine mounting, bodyshell tie-in etc.

I think the dominance of BOF design in trucks is more related to the multitude of cab, box and frame combinations than anything else. Just drive a pickup truck down a bumpy road and look in the rearview mirror how the box is dancing around in a different manner from the cab, some "strength"!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

This is the way I understand it:
    Since a body on frame vehicle has two separate parts, it is a less efficient design than a unibody, i.e. to achieve the same strength, the frame must be made much heavier than the unibody equivalent.
    For most vehicles, this poses a problem as a BOF vehicle will have more flex than a unibody vehicle despite weighing more. However, because the frame itself is stronger, a BOF vehicle is better suited to things like towing, snowplowing, PIT maneuvers etc.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

There's gonna be a whole bunch of strong opinion to either side, when I bet no one of strong opinion could tell one from the other on the road.

IMO, unibody came about as primarily a cost-savings measure. After all, most frames were out-sourced, had to be shipped & incorporated into assembly, and a BOF car is a lot more time-intensive to assemble vs. UB. Get the body plant to weld the 'body & frame' together and cut out the supplier contract, shipping delays, and some union assemblers.
    Look at the big push for modern UB in America- Chrysler in 1960. Co-incidentally (or was it?), this tightly followed ChryCo's switch over to all Corp engines, ending Divisional Engineering. Yet Imperial remained BOF until 1967. Later on it became significant that UB cars also saved considerable weight.

Early UB cars typically have simple C-channel 'structurals' welded to the floor pans. While they're fine for transportation, they are inherently weaker, thusly they can only tow a meager amount... but with the 'civilizing' of trucks, this became less important. Happily for those so invested, that weakness facilitated controlled compression, or 'crumple zones'- where certain areas were purposely made even weaker for impact situations. I cannot argue that it works.

Some will mention that BOF cars can 'squeak & squish', but this is either a horribly assembled car, or a deteriorated one. BOF allows an additional insulated 'buffer' between the road & the passengers via the body mounts- a smooth ride (all else equal). I would not be surprised if small '70s BOF cars had on the order of 8 body mounts, and there I could see 'squish' to a minute degree. I own a '59 BOF car- it has 20 body mounts for the shell alone.

All this said, I still strongly prefer a BOF vehicle.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far

Quote Originally Posted by 86fleet View Post
    This is the way I understand it:
    Since a body on frame vehicle has two separate parts, it is a less efficient design than a unibody, i.e. to achieve the same strength, the frame must be made much heavier than the unibody equivalent.
    For most vehicles, this poses a problem as a BOF vehicle will have more flex than a unibody vehicle despite weighing more. However, because the frame itself is stronger, a BOF vehicle is better suited to things like towing, snowplowing, PIT maneuvers etc.
    so would the "trucks are body on frame because:" argument be that the frame offers a solid attachment point for hitches, snowplows, etc?

I liked Saabr's argument too that it would seem easier to accommodate difference cab and bed configurations, despite needed frames of different lengths, with BOF construction.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

so would the "trucks are body on frame because:" argument be that the frame offers a solid attachment point for hitches, snowplows, etc?

I liked Saabr's argument too that it would seem easier to accommodate difference cab and bed configurations, despite needed frames of different lengths, with BOF construction.
    I think the association with "towing, etc" with BOF is just because the trucks are like that already. Certainly it is easy to make a unibody vehicle for such use, but when people think of unibody they are thinking Hyundai Accent or Ford Tempo or whatever kind of machines designed for other purposes.

I mean a 1963 Corvette is also BOF but it is not at all usable as a tow vehicle or a snowplow vehicle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    The unibody design is superior in pretty much every performance metric. Having a unibody is much stronger since it is "boxed" so to speak (think of like a sheet of paper vs a paper box). Because of the strength advantage you can reduce weight by basically "deleting" the frame-part and keeping only some reinforcements for suspension mounting, engine mounting, bodyshell tie-in etc.
    Towing performance, ride performance, etc. There are other metrics that cars are measured by besides how fast it turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    I think the dominance of BOF design in trucks is more related to the multitude of cab, box and frame combinations than anything else. Just drive a pickup truck down a bumpy road and look in the rearview mirror how the box is dancing around in a different manner from the cab, some "strength"!
    Funny, my Avalanche's tailgate is in sync with the front end.

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar View Post
    Some will mention that BOF cars can 'squeak & squish', but this is either a horribly assembled car, or a deteriorated one. BOF allows an additional insulated 'buffer' between the road & the passengers via the body mounts- a smooth ride (all else equal). I would not be surprised if small '70s BOF cars had on the order of 8 body mounts, and there I could see 'squish' to a minute degree. I own a '59 BOF car- it has 20 body mounts for the shell alone.

All this said, I still strongly prefer a BOF vehicle.
    Ditto.

Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.

Thanks

Couple points:

-if BOF is superior as far as isolating NVH and ride quality why did GM abandon the B body and Ford abandoning the Panther platform. Wouldn't a Town Car have a more isolated ride than an MKS? I suppose this might be getting into the debate over "traditional American luxury cars" and "european" luxury cars which is another argument in itself.

-I guess another question is, how well to Utes hold up? I mean from what I gather they're common in Australia. The G8 ST was supposed to be rated for a 1200 or 1400 lbs payload (can't remember) and a 3500 lbs towing capacity despite being unibody. Thought not very capable off road and not used for snowplowing (lol) they seem to be used as half ton pickups there.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Couple points:

-if BOF is superior as far as isolating NVH and ride quality why did GM abandon the B body and Ford abandoning the Panther platform. Wouldn't a Town Car have a more isolated ride than an MKS? I suppose this might be getting into the debate over "traditional American luxury cars" and "european" luxury cars which is another argument in itself.

-I guess another question is, how well to Utes hold up? I mean from what I gather they're common in Australia. The G8 ST was supposed to be rated for a 1200 or 1400 lbs payload (can't remember) and a 3500 lbs towing capacity despite being unibody. Thought not very capable off road and not used for snowplowing (lol) they seem to be used as half ton pickups there.
    Don't forget that a big part of the reason the B/D body was discontinued was that they weren't selling well compared the new for 1995 four door Tahoe, which was so popular that GM needed an extra plant just to keep up with demand. Arlington TX. which was under capacity and already set up for BOF assembly was the perfect solution. Ultimately GM just replaced one full-size rwd BOF vehicle line with another.

Also, the Panther platform is from 1980, and while they probably had much better NVH qualities compared to just about any unibody vehicle from the early 1980's, a lot's happened in car design since then and I wouldn't be surprised if the MKS is better than the Towncar in this regard
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

>>"Wouldn't a Town Car have a more isolated ride than an MKS?"<<
    If everything else was equal- yes it should. Whether there's enough to tell by the seat of your pants... AND whether it is enough to cost-effectively build cars 2 different ways is the question.

Thanks

-if BOF is superior as far as isolating NVH and ride quality why did GM abandon the B body
    To use Arlington to build Tahoes and Suburbans as more capacity for them was needed.

That 3500lb towing capacity doesn't impress me much. A properly equipped 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood (d-body) could lug 7000lbs (lets see an S-class do that).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    Body-on-frame construction has advantages in the following areas
    - Towing/trailering
    - Ride quality (especially the heavier and larger the vehicle gets)
    - Durability
    - Accident repair costs are lower
    - Superior NVH

It has the following disadvantages
    - More expensive to manufacture
    - Heavier
    Delete "heavier", NVH and Ride Quality.

Both can be made light and both can be made heavy.
    For example a brand new BOF Crown Vic weighs almost exactly the same as a brand new unibody Camaro. In spite of the fact that the CV is considerably bigger and has two more doors.

The NVH and ride quality of my unibody Seville or even a Deville exceeds ANY BOF vehicle that I have ever driven.

Interesting that you would say that unibody is more expensive to build... when it was actually introduced with "cheap" entry level cars. I would say more expensive to design...

I would say a BOF has only one advantage... Towing...
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC DriveOne.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    MKZ, F-150 platinum, Mustangs

This kind of relates to the topic at hand..

We have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the family. I always assumed it was a BOF because SUV generally = BOF, right? But then I read online it's actually unibody based. But it's definitely not a crossover.. Can somebody explain this one to me?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information