GM Inside News Forum banner

Best car under 30k?

14K views 59 replies 36 participants last post by  Jamo 
#1 · (Edited)
So for purposes of discussion, assume you need a new car. Assume you are given 30,000.00 to buy a car. Any money you dont spend you dont get back, so buying a 94 Taurus for five hundred dollars just means you passed up on about 29.5k. You can choose a car that's not out yet but nothing more than a year from the showrooms.

You can assume you'll get a good deal and ignore taxes and title since that varies, but no "negotiating" a new Corvette ZR1 for 30k.. and you will have to pay insurance and upkeep on the car yourself.

What do you get and why?

#41 ·
Well for me it will be the 2012 Ford Focus Titanium...
Probably 2012 Ford Focus Titanium...
maybe a Focus but probably not a Titanium
cuz
I'd have to use some of the $30k for some customization
(same reason it probably wouldn't be the Lincoln MKFocus)
- rip off any oval blue things and throw them away
- get a waterfall grille made (at least - maybe a whole new fascia)
- de-badge/letter it completely
- get chrome letters ( " M E R C U R Y " ) installed on the doors
- probably get new wheels appropriate for the "bit nicer" look I'm going for
- etc

#9 · (Edited)
Hmmm... here are some used cars I'd buy for $30k
2008 Dodge Magnum SRT8 - the last muscle wagon
2008 Chevy Suburban
2009 Lincoln Town Car
2008+ Challenger SRT8

I'd get the 08 Magnum SRT8 because I love big RWD American wagons with brash styling and big V8s. The 08 Magnum was a beautiful example of one and the last of the American muscle wagons. Suburban is obvious choice as its pretty much my ideal vehicle. I've always loved the Lincoln Town Car and would be content to own one. Challenger speaks for itself. Its not as quick or agile as the Stang or Camaro, but it looks worlds better than either and is as close to owning a late 60s, early 70s A-body as I'll ever get.

If I were forced to buy new with the $30k:
2010 GMC Sierra CCSB 2WD (with rebates it dips below $30k)
2010 Charger R/T (with rebates you can get it under $30k)

I basically picked a sparely equipped 2WD crew cab pickup and a Charger V8 as they're pretty much the only new vehicles that can be had for under $30k that I have any interest in owning.

#10 · (Edited)
30,000 is enough to score a:

2004 MB SL500,
2005 S Class,
2007 Lexus GS hybrid
2007/8 Lexus LS.
2006 XLR,
2008 Escalade,
2009 CTS
2009 V8 STS, or
2007 CTS-V.

Take your pick

I from that list I would probably take a 2008 LS.

#13 ·
Well, I have my daily drivers sorted out for now, so I'd buck the trend and buy an old cruiser for sunny weekends. The car wouldn't have to be a 1000 point Concours car, but mint & original (no customs/hack jobs). $30K can get you a lot of classic car. Because of the breadth & nature of this market, I won't narrow down too much beyond saying I'd concentrate on looking for an Oldsmobile or Cadillac coupe/convertible from the mid-late 50's thru about 1974, depending on what is available & what grabs me. I could just as easily go for a '69 442 as a '57 Cadillac Coupe, and wouldn't turn down something off the beaten path like a '58 Chrysler D500 Custom Royal Lancer, a '74 SD Trans Am, an early 63-65 Riviera, '84 Eldorado Convertible (yes, even with the HT4100) etc depending how it struck me.

Why? I love the design & mechanical simplicity of the cars from this time period.

If I was going for late model, I would choose between the latest model+lowest mile examples of the following:
A4 Cabriolet Quattro
MB CLK convertible
MB SL convertible
Corvette convertible
Used G8 GXP
STS-V (I've heard of low mile examples turning up for around $30K)

Why? I love convertibles and Q-ships.

#15 ·
Hmm...there are a number of great choices for $30000. Since it is a daily driver, practicality will be a concern. Hmm, a quandary...

My considerations, in alphabetical order:

Audi S4 (B7)

BMW M3 (E46)
BMW M5 (E39)

Ford Fusion (SEL or Sport...)

Mazdaspeed 3

Pontiac G8

#16 ·
One of these 4:

2010 Ford Fusion awd
2010 Ford Edge SEL awd (with rebates is under $30K)
2010 Equinox 2lt awd
2011 Kia Sorento Ex V6 awd

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
#57 ·
Agree.

If 4 door is a must......you can get a Malibu LTZ with every available option including dual rear DVD, V6, sunroof, spoiler literally just about every single available option under $30,000 with current $3000 rebate.

2010 Malibu LTZ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSRP:$26,955Destination Freight Charge:$720Color & Options:$5,220Total MSRP(1):$32,895Total Cash: (2) -$3,000Net Price:$29,895

#25 ·
I'm pretty sure the G8 GT falls into that category of the best value for the money.

Surprised at all the Camaro repsonses. I sat in one the other day at the dealer, and my head touched the roof when I moved the seat to a comfortable position. Now that's not an unheard of complaint, but I'm only 5'6"... Maybe because it had the sunroof?

#26 ·
If I were to purchase new, it would be a toss up between a 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6 or a 2011 Regal CXL 2.0T M6 (when available).

If I were to purchase used, this is an easy one, I'd find a low mileage 2006 Pontiac GTO M6 (The best car under 40k of the past decade, in my opinion) w/18" wheels... Preferably Impulse Blue w/Blue interior or Quicksilver w/Red interior. :drive:

#28 ·
Right now I'm leaning towards the Kia K5/Optima, possibly Turbo. I am holding off on buying until I can drive one of them and the new Buick Regal. Buick and Kia were definitely not the names I thought I'd come up with for a new car. It's going to be my daily driver. I was curious what the folks here would choose though.

As for new vrs used I tend to go back and forth on that. I was originally considering a used MB or BMW. I want a clean looking car, a lot of modern tech, with a great interior and plenty of power.

#29 ·
On the one hand you have a 2011 Kia K5... on the other you have a 2007 STS-V, or a 2009 G8, or a 2004 SL500. This would not be much of a decision for me!

#34 ·
I'm big on value. I dont mind paying for quality and I can even see a bit of money extra for brand prestige, but I really like to get behind an underdog that's putting out something high quality for a good value as they try and gain market share.

Buick as a comeback of sorts and the Kia as a company trying to take it to the world class level.

#43 ·
I'm big on value. I dont mind paying for quality and I can even see a bit of money extra for brand prestige, but I really like to get behind an underdog that's putting out something high quality for a good value as they try and gain market share.
If you are big on value and don't mind paying for quality, then buy the nicest 2 year old car you can find. Let someone else eat the depreciation. That is the best way to maximize your value and quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.