Awesome or Atrocious? 4 Bizarre Car Accessories that Used to Be Cool

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Awesome or Atrocious? 4 Bizarre Car Accessories that Used to Be Cool

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Awesome or Atrocious? 4 Bizarre Car Accessories that Used to Be Cool

http://blog.allstate.com/awesome-or-...ed-to-be-cool/

Automakers have always strived to put the latest and greatest gadgets in the cars they make. If you’re old enough to remember a tape deck or an eight-track player in your car’s dash, you know that cutting-edge technology doesn’t always stand the test of time. These innovative features may have wowed the public when they were new, but just like the acid-washed jeans in the back of your closet, you see fewer of them on the street today.

Pop-up Headlights

The first car that could wink its lights at you was the Cord 810, which was introduced in 1936. Each of the Cord’s headlights had a hand crank on the dash, which had to be turned to pop the lights out of the front fenders.

In the 1960s, pop-up headlights became increasingly popular on sports cars because they provided unique styling cues, but they also allowed automakers to get around headlight height regulations. The last mass-produced cars with pop-up lights were the 2004 Chevrolet Corvette and 2004 Lotus Esprit, and while retractable headlights could come back into style, the introduction of LED headlamps, which are brighter and smaller in size, means that concealed headlights are no longer necessary to maintain a car’s exterior style.

Record Player

Most of us don’t spend much time listening to vinyl anymore, but just like that DJ spinning records in a trendy nightclub, there was a time when you could cue up some 45s in your Chrysler. In 1956, you could get an optional record player in Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth vehicles.

The system featured a slide-out turntable under the dash, which could be turned on with the flip of a switch. However, as drivers hit potholes or cruised down an imperfect stretch of road, it was likely that the records would skip. In-car record players were a long way from the USB/iPod connections we see in cars today, but they did pave the way for new in-dash entertainment options.

Third Headlight

The 1948 Tucker Sedan pushed the boundaries of car tech in its day. And although only 51 cars were ever made, the Tucker’s third headlight pioneered some of the features found on today’s high-end cars. Known as the “Cyclops Eye,” the Tucker Sedan’s third, middle headlight would swivel with the steering wheel to improve visibility around corners.

While an extra light seems like it would improve safety, at the time it was introduced 17 states had laws against vehicles having more than two headlights. As a result, Tucker made a cover to conceal the center light to keep the sedan legal in those states.

Hidden Gas Caps

Years ago, automakers used to hide gas caps in stealthy locations. Cars like the ’56 Chevy Bel Air had the gas cap hidden behind a taillight, which would swivel out of the way, while numerous cars from the 60’s and 70’s had their fuel fillers located behind the license plate.

Hiding the gas cap in a trick location streamlined the exterior style of these cars, but eventually, it was decided that fuel...

More at link - link also has video showing each feature working

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Awesome or Atrocious? 4 Bizarre Car Accessories that Used to Be Cool

Click the link to see the videos - I love the built in record player. Anyone know any other odd features from the past?

Thanks

Cassette players?

Admittedly when I saw "accessories" I thought it would be add-ons, not styling details.

I guess you can still get pop-up/removable sunroofs installed, but it wasn't long ago it was a factory option. Or hand-crank sunroofs, last car with that AFAIK was the 2001 Focus ZX3.

I didn't think digital dashes would come back "in," but they did, and then some. Even basic IP displays usually have a digital speedometer in the information center (like the one standard across most of the GM line). And then of course touch-screen displays and controls like the Reatta/Toronado.

I was just thinking earlier how a lot of different little features or accessories that were common have been replaced. Rear audio controls were in a lot of minivans and SUVs but aren't really around now. MP3 players have taken that over. Ford had the TravelNote memo recorder but you can record memos just as easily on a cell phone now, and not have to write it down later or go out to the car to check it.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks
    My Ride

Ha - I had the removable sunroof on my 1989 Chevy Cavalier Z24. You couldn't take off the sunroof in the summer without getting 3rd degree burns. Ford pioneered the DAT cassette player that never really got off the ground.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Concealed fuel fillers were nice but you understand the concern about safety
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

And I just have to say my 65 Vette just wouldn't have been the same without those pop up headlights.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Dave B's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a "78" Lincoln 2dr that had the headlight covers that retracted when you turned the light control on and came back out and covered the lights when you turned them off. That car had the longest hood of any car I ever had and with the"Lincoln insignia" on the front of the grill you just "aimed it" down the road....haha
    ------------------------------
    07 Impala 3.5L VVT ..ONSTAR ROCKS... (GF's car)
    99 Cutlass 3.1L (sold)
    Some MOPAR stuff with Mods...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I can't imagine a record player in a car. It would be skipping every time it hit a bump. Pop-up headlights at least have an aerodynamic function.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Click the link to see the videos - I love the built in record player. Anyone know any other odd features from the past?
    A few I miss are: frameless glass (still around but not as common), pillarless hardtops, chrome bumpers (that needed something more severe than a fa rt to scratch), brand unique engines, brand specific engine color, manual transmissions, well designed crank windows (yes they did exist), color matched interiors (beyond black, tan, and grey of today), column shifters for automatic transmissions, bench seats...

Getting depressed, must stop. Sometimes I hate being a curmudgeon...
    2007 Volvo S60R
    2005 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T
    1999 BMW 328i Convertible
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

One accessory I was glad to see die-off is the luggage rack on the trunk. Even Corvettes had them. I thought they just ruined the look of a car. They even tried to make them look kinda like spoilers, like on the '88 Cutlass Supreme. I've mentioned this before on the forums, actually I think I started a thread on it many moons ago.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Thanks

When I was a kid I remember seeing these stupid looking vertical bug deflectors on pickups that had this thing that looked like a dude with a big nose hanging over the front. Most likely on a pickup with a front bumper mounted spare tire
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

http://www.abetterpage.com/transisto...Transport.html

Removable transistor radio in Oldsmobiles.

More information on the Chrysler record players (original Chrysler press release):

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/A...y/Chrysler.htm

Some late '60s until late 1970's Chryslers with the 8 track or cassette player had a built in microphone so you could record while driving.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

Metal Sun Shades that bolted over the front windshield, painted to match the color of the car.

Spot lights, with a side view mirror on the back, sometimes dual spotlights, one on each side.

Dual radio antenna's, one on each side of the trunk.

Continental kits, with your spare in it.

Dual fender mounted spare tires, back in the 30's.
    -
    The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released a new survey today, apparently 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    I can't imagine a record player in a car. It would be skipping every time it hit a bump. Pop-up headlights at least have an aerodynamic function.

Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information