AWD Chevy Cruze

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWD Chevy Cruze

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BigityBalzworth's Avatar
    Thanks

AWD Chevy Cruze

A few days ago I was reading a thread about an SS Cruze and the mention of AWD came up. I think this dream is an attempt to regain what was lost in the developement of the Buick Regal GS, a small AWD, LNF powered car. But It got me thinking that AWD in the Cruze might not be a bad idea, especially after I saw the hatchback version of the cruze. So I thought I'd strike up a conversation about it. Is it even doable on that platform, who thinks it'll sell, who's for it, against it, etc. etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Re: AWD Chevy Cruze

Are there even any AWD Delta-IIs out there?

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

With Mitsu supposedly abandoning the EVO, I think it would be awesome for Chevrolet to step in with a WRX competitor. You know, make the RS a true Rally Sport.

OK, now it's everyone's turn to tell us all what a horrible idea that is and how GM would never be taken seriously in that segment.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Are there even any AWD Delta-IIs out there?
    Chevy Orlando is available in AWD according to Wikipedia but I don't trust them.
    Last edited by Black Copperhead; 03-04-2011 at 01:54 PM.

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    OK, now it's everyone's turn to tell us all what a horrible idea that is and how GM would never be taken seriously in that segment.
    This amounts to another enthusiast vs. pragmatist argument.

An AWD or performance version of the Cruze would appeal to a limited audience of people who would be predisposed to buying the model in the first place. The move may raise some eyebrows but would it translate into additional sales? Unlikely.

Before GM starts devoting resources to specialty interest markets they need to stave off the mainstream competition. eAssist would make the Cruze an absolute standout and offering powerplant upgrades to the 1.6T/2.0T would up the zoom zoom factor.

I know, buzz kill.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    This amounts to another enthusiast vs. pragmatist argument.
    The truth is going to hurt, isn't it?
    An AWD or performance version of the Cruze would appeal to a limited audience of people who would be predisposed to buying the model in the first place. The move may raise some eyebrows but would it translate into additional sales? Unlikely.
    I somewhat agree. Would that one model be enough to convince sport compact enthusiast to sign up? Maybe not, as I think they tend to side with either Japanese or German marques. However, with an attractive Sonic and a relatively upscale Cruze, Chevrolet could make their small cars desirable to a much wider market than anyone that would have previously considered a Cobalt or Aveo. An AWD version would help, but by how much? The WRX commands a high price, could Chevy sell a compact sedan for $27,000 all the way up to $37,000? Not right away, but you've got to start somewhere.

Before GM starts devoting resources to specialty interest markets they need to stave off the mainstream competition. eAssist would make the Cruze an absolute standout and offering powerplant upgrades to the 1.6T/2.0T would up the zoom zoom factor.
    OK, great point. But then can it get a turbo AWD model?
    I know, buzz kill.
    Hey, I've admitted I'd be a horrible auto exec, but my car company would go down in flames with a great lineup of cars.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I'm a life long GM guy, but my current car is a WRX that I bought new in 2002. I have been wanting to replace it, but GM still doesn't have anything comparable. Buick GS is too much $ and too heavy. I would be all over a turbo AWD Cruze if it was available.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

While I think an AWD powertrain would be a cool option to have, I do not see it as being economical, nor a true game changer.

Honestly, AWD versions of FWD vehicles do not do much better in low-traction conditions. For the most part, they are overated because of people being unwilling to drive to conditions. In a pickup truck, with a front-mounted engine and virtually no weight over the rear wheels, 4WD makes a pretty big difference. The same cannot be said for the majority of AWD vehicles. Performance wise, AWD certainly helps launch the car, but, it slows it down everywhere else. It masks poor driving skill at the track. It's a crutch. If you really want to learn how to drive, having a vehicle with AWD will not teach you very well.

So, I'd personally hope that GM has the priorities elsewhere. Honestly, if they can't make the case for it in the Regal RS, the WON'T make a case for it in a lesser priced vehicle.

What would be more interesting, is to see the same powertrains being offered in the Verano in the Cruze. Better yet, how about the same powertrains in a econobox behind the driver?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

An AWD option would be ideal. Cruze with an AWD option for Chevrolet's smaller car line up, Chevelle/Malibu with and AWD option for Chevrolet's larger car line up. Impala as their crown jewel... Sonic is the base. That is what should happen. 2 specific car lines from Chevrolet that most of the money + R&D is focused on.

AWD for use northerners has Zero to do with performance. Could GM Add a performance package to it and make a few bucks?? You bet they could... AWD is the #1 reason Minnesota and my surrounding states are full of 4WD trucks. You try getting around in the winter Without studs (which are illegal now) in your tires in a RWD only truck. Ain't gonna happen... FWD's aren't all that great either. They slide under acceleration and in the corners that's scary. If the Cruze had an AWD option I'd bet the take rate would be 80% anywhere there's snow & ice for much of the year..

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfDurant View Post
    AWD for use northerners has Zero to do with performance. Could GM Add a performance package to it and make a few bucks?? You bet they could... AWD is the #1 reason Minnesota and my surrounding states are full of 4WD trucks. You try getting around in the winter Without studs (which are illegal now) in your tires in a RWD only truck. Ain't gonna happen... FWD's aren't all that great either. They slide under acceleration and in the corners that's scary. If the Cruze had an AWD option I'd bet the take rate would be 80% anywhere there's snow & ice for much of the year..
    I live next door in Wisconsin, in a rural area, and have a RWD truck(Silverado), that made it through our last two winters without sandbags or anything else in the bed, just fine. My wife has a FWD vehicle (G6) with mediocre at best all-season tires, and she's not had any issues, either.

My point, is that most people are trying to replace driving properly with these crutches.

PS- It's been illegal to put studs (or chains) on winter tires in Wisconsin for a VERY long time.

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

The truth is going to hurt, isn't it?
    Learning you are, young padawan.

Would that one model be enough to convince sport compact enthusiast to sign up? Maybe not, as I think they tend to side with either Japanese or German marques.
    The Cruze isn't even on the radar as far as they're concerned, although the Cobalt SS was certainly highly regarded.

However, with an attractive Sonic and a relatively upscale Cruze...
    I believe there is room for a Cruze performance package but I'm not convinced that an SS model is even workable. A 1.6T/2.0T and perhaps a four-door coupe variation with hidden rear access handles would be interesting but do you really want Recaro seats and Brembo breaks on a non-descript people mover? I can't imagine a variation of the WTCC racer getting much uptake.

However, the Sonic has a low cost point of entry and more performance-oriented DNA. With the 1.4T it should be a pretty peppy puddle jumper. Add the RS styling elements, the 1/6T/2.0T and upgraded seats and it would likely attract the demographic that you're suggesting and change how people perceive Chevrolet compacts.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shabodah View Post
    I live next door in Wisconsin, in a rural area, and have a RWD truck(Silverado), that made it through our last two winters without sandbags or anything else in the bed, just fine. My wife has a FWD vehicle (G6) with mediocre at best all-season tires, and she's not had any issues, either.

My point, is that most people are trying to replace driving properly with these crutches.

PS- It's been illegal to put studs (or chains) on winter tires in Wisconsin for a VERY long time.
    I've spent all my life in northern snow bound states. In the rural areas I have done well with RWD muscle cars, pickups, SUVs and FWD cars. Have owned AWD Safari van that was awesome and currently have two 4wd GM vehicles. In town is where you really need AWD or 4wd. Trying to get moving at intersections that have many inches of salt created slush is the hardest part of winter driving. ANY type of business drive with even a mild incline is terrible if you can't carry any momentum.

Rural winter driving is fun. Urban winter driving is not.

Studs have been illegal in Michigan for decades as well.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

That would be a great option to put on the Cruze, plus it something none of it's competitors would have. IMO I think the take rate would be high in states with snowy winters since in America we don't have many options for fuel efficient AWD vehicles. Will it happen? I heavily doubt it. Right now I would be stoked if GM came out with an Cruze SS with the LNF and 6 speed auto/manual transmissions, plus a coupe. An AWD option for both the 1.4L and 2.0L LNF would be gravy.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

If it comes in an SS with 280+hp then it would be a sweet option and the only competition for the WRX or GTI-R. Any less hp than that and it would be a waste and only make it slower and less economical.

If you can't get around in an underpowered FWD car in the winter you shouldn't be driving.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    If it comes in an SS with 280+hp then it would be a sweet option and the only competition for the WRX or GTI-R. Any less hp than that and it would be a waste and only make it slower and less economical.

If you can't get around in an underpowered FWD car in the winter you shouldn't be driving.
    I see plenty of Suzuki SX4 AWD's running around up here so not everyone is concerned about the performance. However the SX4 has a more unique AWD system since you can lock it into 4WD, 2WD, etc.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information