avg brake life expectancy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: avg brake life expectancy

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

avg brake life expectancy

out of curiosity, whats the typical life expectancy of my front discs and rear drums? i ask because i just replaced my rears at 90,000 miles (with a 32nd of an inch left) and the only time i replaced the front discs was at 50k and i feel like thats a very long time considering.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Re: avg brake life expectancy

It's so driver-dependent, an average is meaningless. If you ride the brake, 10-20k. If you coast a lot, 50-70k.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

don't look a gift horse...

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

I've had the same pads on my Vectra since I bought it(91000kms). It's now up to 222000kms. I am absolutely baffled. I'm just not used to brakes lasting that long.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Just don't use the brakes. They last much longer that way.

13Soul 11 200 V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99Golf TDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

"There are really no last, final campaigns. Each generation must renew and win again for itself, the precious gift of liberty, and the sacred heritage of freedom." Ronald Wilson Reagan

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 CTS

I expect standard transmissions help some because engine braking is easier and more efficient with a stick shift. I've read elsewhere of G5 owners having to replace discs as early as 10,000km. Perhaps some of them go like hell and stop rapidly just before the light. No doubt this would wear the brakes more and all that heat could cause premature warping.

I have the 4 speed slushbox and I drive mostly in stop and go urban traffic yet I have driven 16,000 km now since new and according to my last semi-annual inspection my brakes have plenty of wear remaining. I don't drive pell mell right up to the stop sign then stand on the brake pedal either. Neither do I ride the brakes but I do anticipate and begin to slow down prior to the anticipated stop, and even with an automatic you can engine brake some.
    -Elliott

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

All depends on how you drive- and where you drive.
    I live in Southern California- Every morning and afternoon- I hit rush hour traffic.
    20 miles of stop and go- each way.
    On my 2003 Trailblazer- I recently hit 150,400 miles.....
    the rears are still factory pads.
    The fronts I have replaced 2 times.
    1st time- I still had 20% pad left.
    2nd time- I replaced with about 80% pad left... because at about 135,000 miles- I began to get pulsation from the front rotors... due to me not using my torque wrench on the previous tire rotation..... so I removed my rotors and had them turned for $20. I put new pads on and have been on my way- I should have used my Tq wrench...
    But I drive easy- and coast as much as I can in stop and go traffic... it really helps.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

The funny thing I notice is the better the brakes get, the more people tend to push them to the limit.

People will fly up to a stop sign doing 40 mph and in the last 30 feet they hit the brakes. This will kill brakes very rapidly. 20-30 years ago, brakes were not that good and you couldn't do that. That is why is always seems like older cars brakes lasted so much longer.

I replaced my front brake pads and rotors at 50,000 miles. I replaced my front pad and rotors and the rear drums at 96,000. I am not very hard on my brakes. My wifes G6 is already wearing thin and it has a little bit of rotor shimmy on the front and it now has 28,000 miles on it. But she drives like stated above in my post.
    Current Whips:
    1979 Chevy K10 Stepside (350 4-spd, waiting to be restored)
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (Z71, 80,000 mi, leather,5.3 )
    2007 Kawasaki KLX 250 (street legal dual sport, 70 mpg, woo hoo!)
    2011 Dodge Charger (3.6 V6)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah, i was curious. i wanted to see how other people fared. im just a little baffled because of all the added weight from the bigger wheels and tires. the tires alone are at least 50 pounds a piece with the wheels being i figure close to 20. im one of those people though that sees the light change or the stop sign or cars up ahead and immediately lets off the gas.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smokyn454 View Post
    People will fly up to a stop sign doing 40 mph and in the last 30 feet they hit the brakes. This will kill brakes very rapidly. 20-30 years ago, brakes were not that good and you couldn't do that. That is why is always seems like older cars brakes lasted so much longer. .
    I'm not so sure. You have people saying they get 90 000 miles to a set of brakes, and on the older cars... it never even got 90 000 miles on it before the crusher ate it

Thanks

I was thinking you wanted responses from GM truck owners, but if it helps, my Forester is still on its original set of brake components (front disc, rear drum) with a good amount of life left at 75k miles. I've done quite a bit of towing too
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

My Chevy dealer replaced the rear brakes and rotors on the Trailblazer at 48K miles due to a misalignment of the calper (at the factory). The mechanic told me that the pads on a TB should last for about 75k miles, which was a surprise to me. My 99 STS and the CTS required new pads and sometimes rotors at 35 k miles.

The mechanic showed me the front pads on the TB and said that they should last for another 10+K miles, even though they do most of the work. I drive with both feet, so the long life on the TB brakes has been a good surprise.
    -
    Our National Flower is the Concrete Cloverleaf.

It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble a car ... and only one nut to scatter it all over the road

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information