Average GM Employee Salary? (Union)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Average GM Employee Salary? (Union)

Thanks

Average GM Employee Salary? (Union)

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show...8&postcount=20

Can anyone confirm this information?

Because if it's correct, we got to do something with the union, fast! Just see what's going on with Dana/Spicer Corporation now.

How about constricting the trade regulations? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Average GM Employee Salary? (Union)

You have to be a member there to see it, what was the number?

2001 BMW 325i

Thanks

I think, anyone that wants to know what the average income is for a UAW worker needs to post what their average income is and what sector they work in, how many hours a day, what benefits do they have, and what brand of car do they drive?

By the way for the rest of the dimwits that just want something to b##### about take $26.00 an hour and multiply it out!
    Mr. Yin has no doubts that China can also compete with the United States.

"Americans work 5 days a week, we in China work 7 days," he said. "Americans work 8 hours a day, and we work 16 hours."

All that harms labor is treason to America. No line can be drawn
    between these two. If any man tells you he loves America, yet he hates
    labor, he is a liar. If a man tells you he trusts America, yet fears
    labor, he is a fool.
    - Abraham Lincoln

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Pontiac Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a bad topic to start a thread on. Man their are so many opinions both ways for and against the GM and other car manufacturer union employee wages. To the average person it seems absurb to pay them so much for such a repetitive job that doesn't require very much education at all, not to mention the pention and so many other good benefits historically. And yet we still don't get very good quality cars (in many people's opinion) in America (as compared to foreign auotmakers I mean) Also, most of these manufacturers are always working on ergonomics to make it easier and less abusive to the human body. But to each their own. There are 2 sides to every story and someone has to do the job, so how can I complain!!
    CarDomain
    (recently updated on 3/8/2006!)

A 5th Generation Firebird? Man, I wish.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I remember a thread awhile time ago that got into a discussion about this. I remember it stating that after salary, benefits, and pension, the average factory worker gets $120,000 a year. I searched for the old thread but couldn't find it.

Thanks

Straight time, $26/hour is less than 70K.

Pontiac Ninja, try working an assembly line job 8 hours a day, doing the same task hundreds of times. Then claim the workers are overpaid.

Quality is designed in, as well as built in, so there's plenty of blame to go around.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Straight time 2080 (hours/year) * $26/hour = 54080. That being said, this by no way the average salary. At least around here, the overtime is where everyone makes their money. Generally, they aren't happy unless they're getting at least 10 hours of overtime, so now we have to add that 520 (assuming 10 hours/wk) * 39 $/hr (time and 1/2) = 20280. Add overtime to 54080= 74360/year (minimally).

Now that's what the factory worker's average take-home pay is. To a company, now you have to add in the costs associated such as benefits. With only $2 copays for almost all medicine, it has to be very expensive insurance per worker, without any contribution from the worker. Now we also have to add in the pension. The government will not allow the pension below a certain level any more so you must have cash in a seperate account somewhere. This will quickly add over $30,000, how much I do not know and I won't debate.

The fact that UAW workers assemble only one part of the car for thier working lives is thier own doing. They negotiated that. This is why there are all those jokes about "it's not my job". The unions have consistantly stayed away from anything but this method. The Japanese allow workers to train on various parts and shift what they work on during the day. When this was purposed, back in the 80's and again in the 90's, it was viewed as a union busting move and quickly dismissed. The fact a worker is assembling only one part is therefore his/her own doing.

And who ever said anything about quality??? I think someone is a little defensive this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimm

Pontiac Ninja, try working an assembly line job 8 hours a day, doing the same task hundreds of times. Then claim the workers are overpaid.

Quality is designed in, as well as built in, so there's plenty of blame to go around.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar steverino's Avatar
    Thanks

The number thrown around for jobs bank is $130k (includes benefits) and Delphi has stated $72/hr including benefits would equate to about $150k
    What, Me worry - Alfred E. Neuman

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Standing on an assembly line doing the same thing over and over and getting overtime pay looks very attractive this morning.
    As an engineer, who was on the phone line for 2 hours overtime with a customer who decided to re-design and replumb his 60 million dollar machine (and it didn't work), yesterday, having such a job has its values. If I am not wrong, most engineers do not get paid overtime (Saturday sessions are common and Sunday travel is common) and most companies do not have anywhere near the attractive health care plans. Then, I make up lost time on my project by working weekends.

In 2001, immediately after 9/11, I had to travel out of the country. As I sat at the gate, I looked at the other folks. They were concerned and worried about the flight. As I looked at them, I thought "yeah, I am here but I travel nowhere the time that sales people do- they have it rough being away from their families so much". And I also thought "I do what I do because that is what I want to do". On the other hand, I don't see factory workers lined up going out of town, giving their weekends and nights on projects and not being compensated. I don't see them going for higher educational degrees. But it still comes down to "they do what they do because they want to do it".
    So, bellyaching how one has it hard because he/ she works on an assembly line is replaced by hard times in other professions.

Thanks

This is what's in the link:

Oh and I heard a crazy statistic that the average employee at GM makes $80/hr. If thats true, Im in awe, **************** unions.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar steverino's Avatar
    Thanks

This is what's in the link:

Quote:
    Oh and I heard a crazy statistic that the average employee at GM makes $80/hr. If thats true, Im in awe, **************** unions.

A little more precise please. Are we talking just hourly employees or just salary employees or combined total GM employees? Does this include benfits? Does this include overtime?

Let's compare apples to apples, so to speak.
    What, Me worry - Alfred E. Neuman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimm

The article probably accounts for OT ... and who knows what the average annual income is, including OT? Probably $80K or so, not including benefits.

As for remedial work being worth $65K? Quite a logical inference, that the most monotonous and mindless jobs are "worth" the most on the market. Heck, a Wal-Mart greeter's gotta be worth about $120K a year under that formula, and an ER doctor, with a dynamic and fast-paced job, is probably worth about $35K.

The value of a commodity can easily be measured. As impersonal as it sounds, labor is a commodity just like steel. No, you shouldn't treat labor as impersonally as steel, but it's worth on a free market is as easy to pin down. $14/hr on the high side. Like it or not. Thankfully, remedial work is not paid $28 universally in this country ... imagine the negative economic consequences.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Pontiac Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69nova
    Standing on an assembly line doing the same thing over and over and getting overtime pay looks very attractive this morning.
    As an engineer, who was on the phone line for 2 hours overtime with a customer who decided to re-design and replumb his 60 million dollar machine (and it didn't work), yesterday, having such a job has its values. If I am not wrong, most engineers do not get paid overtime (Saturday sessions are common and Sunday travel is common) and most companies do not have anywhere near the attractive health care plans. Then, I make up lost time on my project by working weekends.

In 2001, immediately after 9/11, I had to travel out of the country. As I sat at the gate, I looked at the other folks. They were concerned and worried about the flight. As I looked at them, I thought "yeah, I am here but I travel nowhere the time that sales people do- they have it rough being away from their families so much". And I also thought "I do what I do because that is what I want to do". On the other hand, I don't see factory workers lined up going out of town, giving their weekends and nights on projects and not being compensated. I don't see them going for higher educational degrees. But it still comes down to "they do what they do because they want to do it".
    So, bellyaching how one has it hard because he/ she works on an assembly line is replaced by hard times in other professions.
    WERD!!!
    CarDomain
    (recently updated on 3/8/2006!)

A 5th Generation Firebird? Man, I wish.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69nova

I have been passing striking workers everyday now. I'd like to stop and let them know how lucky they are just have a job right now. It's just so easy to overlook that when you're used to the same routine...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC JonathanRohr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by desmo9
    The value of a commodity can easily be measured. As impersonal as it sounds, labor is a commodity just like steel. No, you shouldn't treat labor as impersonally as steel, but it's worth on a free market is as easy to pin down. $14/hr on the high side. Like it or not. Thankfully, remedial work is not paid $28 universally in this country ... imagine the negative economic consequences.
    Thank you! You are a very smart person!
    1988 Ford Taurus - Dead at 342,683
    2000 Pontiac Firebird - Totaled by a drunk driver at 203,501
    2008 Ford Focus - 37,540 and counting

TriathlonMD.com

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information