Autoextremist: The Franchise

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Autoextremist: The Franchise

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Autoextremist: The Franchise

Here DeLorenzo's AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com

Detroit. GM and Chevrolet are about to embark on a journey that may just determine the division’s health in the U.S. market for years to come. The new 2014 Chevrolet Impala is not just another car introduction for GM, because the car means so much more than that. At the very least the new Impala represents the hopes of True Believer enthusiasts within and outside the company for a rejuvenated GM and Chevrolet that so far has materialized just in their dreams, and only intermittently in reality.

It also represents The Future to The Suits (Dan “Captain Queeg” Akerson and his Merry Minions, plus the CEO’s sycophants on the GM Board), because they envision a GM that will be strong and powerful once again. And even if this “vision” doesn’t translate into an understanding of what makes for a successful product, they understand the money that can be generated by one.

The problem for Chevrolet is that they’ve allowed the Impala to languish in a limbo of mediocrity for so long that convincing the American drivers “out there” in ConsumerVille that a new Impala is exactly what they want - even though they don’t know it yet – will be an extremely tall order.

Since this business seems to ignore history as a matter of course, deeming it unnecessary and irrelevant in these instantly connected, nanosecond-attention-span times, it’s important to remember that the idea of a hot mainstream Chevrolet was once integral to GM’s success.

In GM and Chevrolet’s heyday, the Impala represented everything good about the then-dominant company. It was stylish, it offered excellent and in some cases outstanding performance, and it delivered exceptional value. In short, it set the standard for the entire industry and consumers bought them in droves. But as is GM’s wont, when it started its long slow slide to oblivion, its operatives forgot what the Impala meant to the company and to the market. And they *******ized it, screwed it up and even worse, just plain ignored it to the point that it became an afterthought.

Yes, Chevrolet loyalists will point to certain spikes in the Impala product cycle over the years - including the most recent example - but at the end of the day they’re just kidding themselves. GM and Chevrolet simply took their eye off of the ball and allowed the Impala to become “pretty good” and “not bad” in a world of competitive superlatives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: Autoextremist: The Franchise

I sincerely hope that the Impala moves appreciable sales volume, and becomes a rousing success despite the uphill battle in front of it.

Thanks

Everything is a disaster!!! why dont the hire me? I know everything.......

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 646 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

He looks better with a hat. Now, how about a big bushy moustache and some movie star shades?

His editor missed something: "Chevrolet is so busy chasing its tale within its own divisional structure that it can’t get out of its own way. What are Chevrolet marketers featuring, exactly? "

Tail. Unless he meant tale.

Amusing and somewhat on target. But doesn't he ever get tired of writing the same old stuff? Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Everything is a disaster!!! why dont the hire me? I know everything.......
    I can vouch for that, and will gladly write a letter of introduction to Lieutenant Dan. Not that I've ever met him.
    I have, however, read American Icon and Once Upon A Car. Well, actually I'm just halfway through Once Upon A Car. But I'm optimistic.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

PDL is right far more often than he is wrong. His idea point about Impala sales being a difficult sell at the higher $ is already reflected in several of the threads on GMI, Wher people like the new car but also believe it is overpriced by thousands of dollars. Compared to the past Impala, it is way too high, but Chevy marketing will have to overcome the objections or lower the price.
    Until they do, the sledding could be pretty rough......

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 646 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

I just hope it starts at 27 or 28 at the most. Including shipping.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,409 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I sincerely hope that the Impala moves appreciable sales volume, and becomes a rousing success despite the uphill battle in front of it.
    70k units wouldn't be disastrous, and it'd be on par with the comparably ugly Taurus (I believe). It's a big drop, but will it really drop like that? Maybe. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    He looks better with a hat. Now, how about a big bushy moustache and some movie star shades?

His editor missed something: "Chevrolet is so busy chasing its tale within its own divisional structure that it can’t get out of its own way. What are Chevrolet marketers featuring, exactly? "

Tail. Unless he meant tale.

Amusing and somewhat on target. But doesn't he ever get tired of writing the same old stuff? Sheesh.
    He looks even better when I can't hear his half-drunk or stroke victim voice. I can't stand this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    PDL is right far more often than he is wrong. His idea point about Impala sales being a difficult sell at the higher $ is already reflected in several of the threads on GMI, Wher people like the new car but also believe it is overpriced by thousands of dollars. Compared to the past Impala, it is way too high, but Chevy marketing will have to overcome the objections or lower the price.
    It's not supposed to sell like it did, though. It's ridiculous to expect that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 514 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    But doesn't that hold true for almost all GM cars? GM conditioned us to expect huge discounts to move metal, and attracted many that were only interested in price. People seem to be buying the new, better and more expensive cars. So as long as GM does a good job I expect the sales will follow. However, the consumer that is attracted will be very different from the current car. I bet GM looses most of the current Impala base, but will attract a new customer base (though at a much smaller volume).

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information