Autoextremist #685: AE take on the Detroit auto show

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Autoextremist #685: AE take on the Detroit auto show

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Autoextremist #685: AE take on the Detroit auto show

Here DeLorenzo's AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com

The Autoextremist take on the Detroit Auto Show: A Ray of Light, Wandering Weasels, Desultory Dreamers, the Scent of a Nissan and a Hyundai named Desire.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

(Posted 1/16, 9:00 a.m.) Detroit. The 2013 Detroit Auto Show was the one that was supposed to indicate that the auto biz was back in all of its glory, baby, but that wasn’t exactly the impression that I took away from the proceedings.

Yes, there were some very good things about the show, starting with the rejuvenation of Cobo Hall. To say that the resurrected venue slowly but surely coming into view was an improvement is an understatement of this or any other year. Will it be an instant world-class exposition hall when it is completed in time for next year’s Detroit Auto Show? No, of course not. But at least it won’t be a perennial embarrassment and an insult to this region’s founding industry.

And though it doesn’t sound like that big of deal to outsiders, believe me, it’s a gigantic step in the right direction for the overall scheme of things in this town.

But then again this is an auto show, and I’m not here to talk architecture.

The one thing WordGirl and I noticed about the show was that a reverent hush seemed to hang over the proceedings. Despite some scintillating debuts, it seemed downbeat and restrained, as if the manufacturers had decided to use their inside voices and not make too much noise. Mercedes brought Bruce Hornsby in (yawn), but he just contributed to the hush. Infiniti brought in Cirque de Soleil for their Q50 intro, but that couldn’t mask the giant task facing Johan De Nysschen and his “bold new journey” in the reinvention/reinvigoration of the Infiniti organization from the product up. Ford literally dropped its more-than-a-hint at the next generation of the F-150 pickup – the Atlas – from the rafters in a dramatic touch, but overall the show was q-u-i-e-t. The only sign of irreverence and a little life was the DJ accompanied by two female dancers at the VW display Tuesday morning. For that brief fleeting moment, it actually felt like an auto show.

I get the fact that the products need to (and should) do the talking, but after every single manufacturer spent the first ten minutes touting their sales numbers, I felt like yelling out: “We know you’re the greatest thing since automotive sliced bread and we know you’re going to have another great year on top of the phenomenal year you’ve already had and we know your team members are energized and focused and dialed-in and we know, well, that you’re just so damn glad to be alive but please, for the love of everything Righteous and Holy in the automotive universe, please just shut the hell up and get to the frickin’ point! Thank you.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: Autoextremist #685: AE take on the Detroit auto show

Peter being Peter. Did he dig the new vette hardcore?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

This paragraph gave me a laugh:

And by the way, the Mercedes display looked like a giant parking lot crammed to the gills with everything they could possibly muster. The term “edit yourselves” doesn’t seem to resonate with the Three-Pointed Star posse. Too bad, because their display had all the elegance of a used car lot
    Peter also asks a good question why is Ford showing their next F-150 18 to 24 months prior to it's on sale date? I agree it looks like a mistake to show a new car too soon. Just like Peter mentions with Acura's 2015 NSX.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Peter being Peter. Did he dig the new vette hardcore?
    Yes and no. He makes a lot of statements. This is a good summary of his opinion.
    Listen, the new Corvette is a great car. The best Corvette ever built by a long shot, with enough advanced technology and cool stuff baked-in to savor for years to come. It will be a sensational performer and it will move the enthusiasts who love them to tears. And the True Believers on the Corvette program who toiled long hours on the C7 should be justifiably proud.

But it’s not a great design because it’s overwrought and overthought and overdone.

Thanks

He claims the side scoop is stolen from the GTR.

Right...

Because Corvettes haven't had a side scoop or cove since oh....like 1956....

Most of it was his typical arrogant BS.

The fact that he thought the Hyundai Monster Concept look good lead me to believe he has no idea what he's talking about or is legally blind.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

That's the thing about styling - it's a personal opinion and everyone is an expert on their own opinion. I think the C7 looks awesome!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

As if one of the most foremost design companies in all of the world has to steal from the competition.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    He claims the side scoop is stolen from the GTR.

Right...

Because Corvettes haven't had a side scoop or cove since oh....like 1956....

Most of it was his typical arrogant BS.

The fact that he thought the Hyundai Monster Concept look good lead me to believe he has no idea what he's talking about or is legally blind.
    Haha I agree that he was being a bit too generous with using "gorgeous" to describe the Hyundai concept.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

The side scoop is stolen from the GT-R? How can GM steal that which Nissan stole from the Corvette. The 50s era Corvettes had them as did the 70s era ones and I'm sure countless others as well. I mean, the side scoop is easily a modern interpretation of the 1958s scoop:
    Corvette-je-1958.jpg

I think he's just reaching.

Sports cars should be overdone, that's what makes them exciting. They appeal to everyone with a pulse. For those who are just too timid for a true sports car Porsche builds entire lines of boredom for their pleasure. But I'd rather something like this new Corvette or a Ferrari any day.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

I almost skipped this due to PDL's constant belittling of all creatures great and small.

I sore this:
    Yes, there were some very good things about the show, starting with the rejuvenation of Cobo Hall. To say that the resurrected venue slowly but surely coming into view was an improvement is an understatement of this or any other year
    and was encouraged enough to read the comments, though not his complete text. I'll have to work up to that.

About styling. Yes, we have this discussion every week. "Stealing" scoops? Really, there's only so much you can do with the terrain that is to be an automobile. Scoops, windshields, taillights, tires...I suppose if you dig deeply enough, you could find the 1959 Caddy tailfins somewhere in the auto-archaeological past. Well, maybe not THAT. But most styling ideas.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-17-2013 at 12:37 AM.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Peters a cool guy yet I tend to disagree with his corvette comments. I believe the new corvette reaches further than ever before in all areas. Color me impressed. The vehicle is stunning and it's performance will be as always world class.

I call it like I see it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information