Autoextremist #679:The VW Group masters a classic formula

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Autoextremist #679:The VW Group masters a classic formula

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Autoextremist #679:The VW Group masters a classic formula

Here DeLorenzo's AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com

Does the VW group even have an Achille's heel?

The VW Group masters a classic formula: Product Desirability = Profitability.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

(Posted 11/26, 10:30 a.m.) Detroit. It was interesting to read that Mazda now desires to become an upscale brand, after wandering around aimlessly in the mainstream market for years, according to Automotive News. This is after Toyota’s Lexus has spent, oh, 25 years working at it to a very successful degree while Nissan’s Infiniti division, which has been toiling away for the same duration, is only now getting serious at becoming a player. To that end, Infiniti has become the title sponsor for the now three-time champion Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team after a two-year associate sponsorship deal and is becoming deeply involved technically with the team in an effort to boost its credibility.

Johan de Nysschen, the now president of Infiniti, said in a press release: “While our first 24-months have been very beneficial to both parties, our new increased relationship will bring increased advantages to Infiniti and Red Bull Racing. As title sponsor, Infiniti Red Bull Racing will help us garner even more worldwide exposure for our brand, products and technology.”

And de Nysschen can speak with a measure of authority about tuning-up a luxury brand, as prior to his stint at Infiniti he led Audi to new heights in the U.S.

The endless quest for credibility in the premium car market never ends. Look at Audi, which has been on an ongoing journey to ascend to the top rung of the luxury-performance market for fifteen years. And after a staggering run of wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and after producing a stunning array of products, they have well and truly arrived.

(So Mazda is going to flip a switch and it will all come good overnight? Oh, if it were that easy. I’ve got news for Mazda CEO Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda has only a sliver of a chance at cracking the upscale market, and even then I firmly believe that there’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that they can do it. And besides that, are they ready for at least a fifteen yearlong journey? I would imagine not.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford

Re: Autoextremist #679:The VW Group masters a classic formula

Until people have to pay VW repair bills, and their dsg gearboxes go das exploden.
    Last edited by Syclonus; 11-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

GM brands needs to be more independent. Cadillac is leading the way in that regard.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 651 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Syclonus View Post
    Until people have to pay VW repair bills, and their dsg gearboxes go das exploden.
    I've read at the TDi Page (VW Diesel Enthusiast site) that those trannies have a problem, one of which is the $8000 it costs when they go kablooey.

According to the traffic there, VW has replaced bookoo trannies, including past-warranty.
    Which may be why we don't hear a lot about them. Yet.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by Syclonus View Post
    Thanks for the laugh! Very true

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information