1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3800

Walking
    Thanks

i have been reading this site for quite a while now, and i see alot of praise for the 3800 v6. also i have heard alot of people say good things about it. i purchased a 2000 park avenue over the summer. its a great car which i enjoy very much, however 3 days after i bought the car, the engine died from a blown head gasket. so they put a new engine in the car, which 2 days later blew another head gasket. so they put a 3rd engine in the car, which about 4 weeks later again blew a head gasket. so im on engine number 4, with alright luck. beyond that, i like the engine, its smooth and moves the car well, but i cant say it has been very reliable. is blown head gaskets typical of this engine, or is my buick cursed? i look forward to the input

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Pucks's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 3800

Quote Originally Posted by spunkyskier
    i have been reading this site for quite a while now, and i see alot of praise for the 3800 v6. also i have heard alot of people say good things about it. i purchased a 2000 park avenue over the summer. its a great car which i enjoy very much, however 3 days after i bought the car, the engine died from a blown head gasket. so they put a new engine in the car, which 2 days later blew another head gasket. so they put a 3rd engine in the car, which about 4 weeks later again blew a head gasket. so im on engine number 4, with alright luck. beyond that, i like the engine, its smooth and moves the car well, but i cant say it has been very reliable. is blown head gaskets typical of this engine, or is my buick cursed? i look forward to the input
    Wow, that stinks. Seriously, never heard of that. My experience is a 98 Olds Intrigue with the 3800. 106K miles. No engine problems. No major problems at all. Always have heard that while this engine might not have the bells and whistles of the DOHC, it was rock solid reliable. Good luck with it.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Are you sure they actually replaced the entire engine? I think it's highly, highly unlikely that they would go to the expense of putting 4 replacement engines in a 7 year old Buick because of a blown head gasket.

The 3800 almost never blows head gaskets, but it does have a problem with the intake manifold cracking. Since it causes the engine to burn antifreeze, the symptoms are very similar to a blown HG.

I wonder if they're just replacing the head gaskets over and over when the intake is the real problem. Have they actually showed you the supposedly bad head gaskets? You might want to get a second opinion.

Walking
    Thanks

well when they put the 3rd engine in, they showed us the bill of sale for the engine, the 4th time, the engine blew in michigan, the first one blew in new york. the people here in michigan said it was a head gasket leaked into the crank just like before.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 1969CamaroSS350's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rearden82
    Are you sure they actually replaced the entire engine? I think it's highly, highly unlikely that they would go to the expense of putting 4 replacement engines in a 7 year old Buick because of a blown head gasket.

The 3800 almost never blows head gaskets, but it does have a problem with the intake manifold cracking. Since it causes the engine to burn antifreeze, the symptoms are very similar to a blown HG.

I wonder if they're just replacing the head gaskets over and over when the intake is the real problem. Have they actually showed you the supposedly bad head gaskets? You might want to get a second opinion.
    Yea I've never heard of a bad head gasket on any 3800. I mention my dads Regal all the time when it comes to 3800's because it was just such a reliable car. It had 203K before he sold it. Look on the internet and you will find plenty of 3800's with over 200K. It's such a proven motor.
    http://www.myspace.com/durfeev6

My Cars
    1969 Chevrolet Camaro - In The Process Of Being Restored, 350 V8 and 2-Speed PowerGlide
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Daytona 500 Pace Car Replica, S/C 3800, 66,000 miles
    1993 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8 DOHC, 165,605 miles as of 7/24
    "I didn't mean to wreck him, I just meant to rattle his cage a bit." - Dale Earnhardt

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I wonder if they were reusing your intake manifold when they replaced the engine. It's very odd that you got 2 independent diagnoses, though. I would recommend replacing the coolant temp. sensor, water pump, and thermostat.

I suppose anything can happen, but it's very rare for that engine to blow head gaskets. If that's what is happening, it sounds like the cause is a cooling system problem or something else external to the engine.

Banned
    Thanks

dang sucks to be u. i had a 1991 park avenue. good for 180000 miles. i sold it after that

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 suckstobeyou's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Delta2.2
    dang sucks to be u. i had a 1991 park avenue. good for 180000 miles. i sold it after that
    ha ha very funny
    04 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury/ Infotainment
    09 Saturn Outlook XE

Thanks

My old 90 Bonnieville had 234k on the 3800 when i wrecked it, no issues.

2002 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.4L (Loser Series ) 35MPG

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

It should be virtually impossible to trash four different engines to the same problem in a short space of time and have it be random. There has to be some common link. Are they replacing the long block or just the short block? What parts are they reusing? Are you loosing coolant before the head gasket goes? It's looking to me like the blown head gasket is a symptom of some other problem.

To answer your original question the 3800 is pretty bulletproof. As someone mentioned the only real problem was an intake manifold issue.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks

200,000 on my Bonneville when I sold it. Saw it later with 260,000 and still no engine problems.

Walking
    Thanks

thanks for the replies, thats what i have come to figure that their must be sompthing else causing the problems. ill make shure to check everything you mentioned, before i loose another engine. i realy like the buick and i hope to keep it for a long time.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ed753's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by rearden82
    I wonder if they were reusing your intake manifold when they replaced the engine. It's very odd that you got 2 independent diagnoses, though. I would recommend replacing the coolant temp. sensor, water pump, and thermostat.

I suppose anything can happen, but it's very rare for that engine to blow head gaskets. If that's what is happening, it sounds like the cause is a cooling system problem or something else external to the engine.
    That is what I was thinking about it being an intake problem, even a long-block requires the swapping of the intake and waterpump, if they are the cause you are just putting the bad parts back on the new engine.

It would be like replacing a fuse 4 times, without eliminating the problem. Are the fuses un-reliable, no.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I have the 3800 in my Lumina and so far it has been rock solid. I have 215,000 miles on it and it is still going fine.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

101,000mi on my 3.8SC and no big problems so far... only put maintenance $$ in it (which is pricey since I use full synth, perf oil filters, AC Delco parts, etc).

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information