1995 Grand Prix GTP 3.4 24-Valve (What engine is this)??

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 Grand Prix GTP 3.4 24-Valve (What engine is this)??

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

1995 Grand Prix GTP 3.4 24-Valve (What engine is this)??

The other day I was at a store with my friend, and as we were leaving I noticed a really nice 1995 Grand Prix GTP sitting in the parking lot. As I passed it, I noticed it said "24-Valve" on the side. Seeing that, I knew it was an OHC V6. After doing some research on Edmunds.com I found out it was a 3.4 V6 with 210 HP & 215 ft lbs. of torque. But it failed to mention that the engine was OHC, or what the specific engine name was.

What was that engine, and why isn't it in GM's current engine line-up? I bet an Equinox with a OHC 210 HP V6 wouldn't get negative press, as apposed to the pushrod 3.4 with only 185 HP.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    3.4L DOHC V6. Named the "Dual Twin Cam".

a very powerful motor, and very large too.

it was discontinued i think in 1997 or something. Wasnt very reliable, and was actually detuned from its inital tests (was apparently making some 270hp before GM figured out that they had no transmission that could handle its power).

The engine was used in the Cutlass Supreme, Grand Prix and Lumina Z34 coupe. Those cars engine bays are fairly big but this engine took alot of space and the Alternator is in a very bad place (behind the front tire or something) and was a complete pain in the butt to change.

It used a timing belt instead of timing chain, supposedly wasnt an interferance engine but i heard that even when the belts snap the valves could still bend.

Thanks
    I appreciate the response Squachy, is it possible you could give the me model year information of the cars posted above (ie;1990-1998) that had that particular engine it them?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks
    This came from

<http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2095>

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix: Although the limited-edition Grand Prix Turbo coupe has been retired, the GTP retains the Turbo model's flared fenders, hood louvers, and lacy alloys wheels. In place of the turbocharged 3.1-liter V6 sits a brand-new 3.4-liter, double-overhead-cam, 24-valve V6. Where the turbocharged engine provided 205 horsepower, the new engine delivers 210 horsepower with a 5-speed manual and 200 horsepower with GM's new electronically controlled 4-speed automatic. The new engine is an available option on all other Grand Prix models, except the LE sedan. Also, all coupes get new front-end styling marked by a new grille, four mini headlamps, and standard fog lamps.

I dont know what happened to this engine. I'm also not happy about the fact that in 1991 you could get a GP with a 5- speed manual but now even the GXP comes with the crusty 4-speed auto.

"The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

Thanks
    So wait a second, this engine was not limited to only the GTP Grand Prix? It was available in the SE coupe too?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks
    This is the same engine from the Z34 Lumina, no? Based on a pushrod design, a variation of the 3.4L (3.1L?) we all know and love, but using twin cams.

You had to replace the belt/chain at 60,000 miles.

All of this is from memory, so I could be wrong.

Ah, I somehow missed the second post.

Anyway, it was an ill-concieved engine and not reliable, as mentioned. But for those people that lucked out and it still works for, it makes one of the best - if not the best - engines in a FWD GM car from the early 90's.
    Last edited by Ming; 11-01-2004 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    i dont know when they stopped using the engine.
    But i think it started getting used in 1991 or 1992.

It was in the W body cars (Cutlass Supreme coupe/sedan/vert, Lumina 3.4 Euro, Lumina Z34, Grand Prix STE sedan/GTP coupe). I dont konw if it was an option in any of the other trims (most of them almost always had the 3.1MPFI in it)

You can try MSN autos for used car information, as i dont really know where to find information about those cars.

herse a page with 3.4L info...i think...
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/34Performance/
    Last edited by Squachy; 11-01-2004 at 10:59 PM.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    The engine was last used in 97 my car is one of the last. 97 Z34 Monte. at 75K and running strong.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91z4me
    The engine was last used in 97 my car is one of the last. 97 Z34 Monte. at 75K and running strong.
    hows the maintenance on that thing?

Thanks
    also found in olds aleros... mine was replaced at 5K when it failed.... POS.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    I always thought it was the pushrod 3.4 V6, I never knew there was an OHC 3.4 V6 in GM's line-up.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    It's probably gone because they found the 200-205 hp 3800 to be a simply better engine. It had less peak power, but much better power under the curve. It was likely also smaller, lighter, and got better fuel economy.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks
    The 3.4 DOHC was a pain in the ass engine. The timing belt and alternator were major problems and need to be replaced (the belt after 60K miles). They had absolutely nothing for low-end power, but as it reved higher, the power really kicked in. It's a shame that GM couldn't build a tranny to withstand it's power. It had a lot of potential but was a really costly engine.
    &#39;97 GTP
    &#39;65 Impala Convertible

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geronimo66
    also found in olds aleros... mine was replaced at 5K when it failed.... POS.
    wrong that is OHV "3400"

lets get our engines straight people

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    The 3.4 OHV engine in the Equinox is made in China and i'm sure is very easy to produce compared to complex DOHC 24v engine. The transmission is also out sourced from Japan and not even made by GM. This makes the Equinox a money maker for GM.

There is already a smooth DOHC v6 the 3.6 VVT, a global engine, but leave that for the luxury cars.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information