13,000 Miles on One Oil Change? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13,000 Miles on One Oil Change?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: 13,000 Miles on One Oil Change?

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    The Oil Change Monitor, is a hoax.

Today's oils are so much better and longer lasting, is the only reason for it's effect.

The Semi Annual Inspection, still brings most drivers back to the dealership, as often as 3-5000 miles oil change. To rotate the tires, and make sure all the bolts are tight.

If you use quality oils and filters, you should be able to run 10K miles before any change today. If you go to a Jiffy Lube, I would not trust the monitor.

P.S. We get more 6.0L Power Strokes, towed in because of "Aftermarket Filters" than for any other reason.
    The Gm OLM is not a hoax. It works almost perfectly. I love the thing along with the real gages in their cars. These are two of my main grips with Ford.
    As much as I prefere a Ford for many reasons they should step it up and offer something like this. Its been proven over and over and over again that the GM oil life monitor works almost perfectly. I flat out love the thing.

It saves time and money. I think Gm hit a home run with this thing. I think Honda has a similar system unlike the Ford mileage counter. I am a admitted Ford guy but the GM system works and would be very valuable to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris442 View Post
    To be fair, that engine does take 8.8 quarts of oil, so I'd say it should last a bit longer than the old 5 quarts in a V8 standard.

I've started to flirt with 10k on my GTO, too. Usually I try to change at about 8k. The old 3k stuff just isn't necessary with today's oils and engines. Back when carbs and big blocks were the norm, 3-5k was what was needed, as those motors weren't as tight and didn't run as cleanly as modern engines.
    And even more importantly, the oil back then was crap compared to today... you don't even need to do 3000 mile changes on a 1960's car with modern oil, generally speaking

Thanks

We go by the monitor on the G5 and it seems to be about 11,500 when it hits 10%. Our G6 gets once per year (per the manual) since it only gets driven about 6500 per year and typically reads 30+% at that time.
    My Colorado (and its OnStar report) looks to heading for about 14,000 before indicated but the year will be up before then. Since GM chose not to make the display available in the 08 Colorado/Canyon, I've been trying to find an alternate way to display such as with Scangauge Scangauge and 08+ Colorado/Canyon OLM

Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71
    Pontiac G5

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    The 3,000 mile interval was always a marketing creation of Jiffy Lube and similar chains.

Conventional oil can go well past that. Synthetic can probably go well beyond even 13,000 miles.

My CTS uses synthetic. You're supposed to change the oil when the indicator says 0%, or 10,000 miles. I usually change it when it's convenient and around 8,000 miles. I'd be well over 10,000 miles if I waited for the life indicator to get to 0%.
    I may be wrong but I think the filter is the most important cog in this system. Most all oils meet specs. It's the crappy filters that destroy your engine.
    Last edited by optiongm; 01-08-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    My Ride
    Volvo XC70 2008 Oyster grå

New engines are done with new materials and new technologies. The 5000 km (3000 miles) rule is not good anymore. Around 10 years ago, many manufacturers start to put it to 6000 km (4000 miles), then 8000 km (5000 miles). Now, most have oil life indicators.

In my 2005 Ford Focus, the owner manual recommandes 10 000 km (6250 miles), but said that 5000 is better... I did it at 10 000 km and the oil level was perfect, the colour was clear. In my 2008 Honda Accord, the oil life indicator was on à 14 500 km (9000 miles). Oil level Ok and clear oil. Now, I have a 2010 Mini Cooper. They recommend to change the oil at each 2 years or 24 000 k (15 000 miles). I don't do a lot of mileage, so I will do 1 oil change during my 3 year lease.
    2008 Volvo XC70 3.2 AWD Oyster grå med svart läder inredning

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    I agree that 3,000 mile or 3 months is crap. Marketing Jiffy lube rip off!
    Depends.

One of the many factors would be....

If they are using the typical bottomline base bulk oil product - the kind the oil people are too embarrassed....... to make available in a quart bottle for retail along with the cheap filters - nope, that's going to be it for many to most under real world conditions.

Well of course Edmunds used Blackstone and of course a mildly informed enthusiast or car guy would never make that mistake and would never put any stock in a Blackstone report regardless of results.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 649 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

You change oil?

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

I change them at +6500 miles, oil is cheap but engine replacement isn't.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

That's pretty awesome to go that many miles w/out a change. I drive my cars WAY too hard to get away with that type of maintenance though. I flog my Camry with WOT acceleration many times a day, mostly because it's so slow. lol And my Armada is towing all the time.

Does anyone have a 150k mile engine/car that has exclusively had 10k-12k mile oil change intervals?

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

Motors today have tighter tolerances. They can run longer on oil. But I do a 5K oil change on my wifes 03 Mazda due to it's low miles annually. I run my HHR to aobut 5% on the OLM and then change it when it's convenient. I usually go between 6500-7500 miles with my driving.

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

Thanks

Does anyone have a 150k mile engine/car that has exclusively had 10k-12k mile oil change intervals?
    Working on it. I'll need to revive this thread in a couple of years.

Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71
    Pontiac G5

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4doors View Post
    Working on it. I'll need to revive this thread in a couple of years.

It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    That's pretty awesome to go that many miles w/out a change. I drive my cars WAY too hard to get away with that type of maintenance though. I flog my Camry with WOT acceleration many times a day, mostly because it's so slow. lol And my Armada is towing all the time.

my 2003 Trailblazer...
    Always followed the OLM- intervals are anywhere from 10,500 to 11,500 miles...and Ive only used regular dino oil on this vehicle.... its now at 152,000.
    Runs smooth. Passed California emissions some months ago with very nice numbers.
    Oil changes- I always measure the oil that comes out---
    On average I get anywhere from 6.25 to 6.75 of oil OUT during a drain...I let the filter drain too
    this engine takes 7 quarts....... burns no oil... and Ive never had to add oil in between oil changes...

I recently purchased a 2010 Traverse- but I had an used oil analysis done at 146,000 (on th trailblazer). I figured if it had bad results- id trade it on or sell it.
    the results were good- so I kept the Trailblazer-
    They now both sit in the driveway... along with our 07 Impala.... which I also use the OLM...
    Dad now drives the Trailblazer.
    Last edited by rbarrios; 01-11-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

^ Nice! was that a 5.3 V8 or the 4.2 I6?

^ Great quote!

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    ^ Nice! was that a 5.3 V8 or the 4.2 I6?
    Its the 4.2 Inline 6.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information