Updated: Future of GMC Acadia Uncertain?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Future of GMC Acadia Uncertain?

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Updated: Future of GMC Acadia Uncertain?

Update: Future of GMC Acadia Uncertain?
    Sources indicate GM is electing to cancel the next Acadia.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    February 15, 2011
    Update: February 16, 2011
    By: Nick Saporito

Update: GMC Communications reached out to GMI today regarding the future of the Acadia and the state of the crossover on the market today. GMC spokesperson Kelly Cusinato stated, "Acadia is a very important vehicle in the GMC portfolio and we don't plan to leave this growing crossover segment."

Cusinato also cited that Acadia sales are up 27-percent over a year ago and that the recently launched Acadia Denali has caused GM to increase production capacity of the Acadia at the Lansing Delta Township assembly plant.

GMI often gets inside information pertaining to future General Motors product, not unlike mainstream publications. According to GMI sources the future of the Lambda-based Acadia is very questionable. That does not imply that the Acadia is being removed from the lineup, but at this time GMI sources have not been informed of a replacement program for a future Acadia. As the case with all unofficial reports, the information contained within could very well change between now and 2014, when the next Acadia is due out.

Nevertheless, it sounds as though GMC is quite happy with the success of the current Acadia. Last year GMC sold just over 68,000 Acadia crossovers, accounting for nearly 20-percent of GMC's total sales.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite General Motors' reduced brand structure in North America, some product overlap still exists. For that reason, sources are telling GMI that GM has elected to cancel the Lambda-based next-generation GMC Acadia crossover.

The Acadia launched in 2006 (2007 model-year) and has been fairly successful on the U.S. market. The GMC model is one of four crossovers that have existed on the GM Lambda platform. The Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and former Saturn Outlook all reside on Lambda.

Sources familiar with GM product planning state that the decision was made to cancel the next Acadia to reduce product overlap in Buick-GMC stores. The overlap coming from that of the Acadia's sister product, the Buick Enclave.

The Enclave's tremendous sales success has given it the priority as the one large crossover for Buick-GMC dealers to work with when the next-generation model launches in 2015 model-year. In fact, GMI sources also stated that GM is considering boosting Buick Enclave output at the Lansing Delta Township, Michigan plant to meet increasing demand.

This isn't the first time GM has canceled the next-generation Acadia. It was also canceled back in late 2008 when the entire GMC brand was put under internal review. GM then placed the Acadia program back into the hopper after their June 2009 bankruptcy.

It is worth noting that GMC still has several new products in the pipeline, including another generation of the smaller Terrain crossover.
    Last edited by nsap; 02-16-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Future of GMC Acadia Uncertain

As an Acadia owner, I would have to say this is the single biggest disappointment from GM since bankruptcy. The Acadia is the single most perfect vehicle for my young family needs. People ask me about it all of the time, and I tell them - it's perfect. My wife refuses to drive a minivan and the Acadia has the macho look she loves with the space we need for, well, everything. I did NOT want a fancy Enclave. I did NOT like the looks of the Traverse. We leased an Acadia with the idea that we could get the next model when it arrives in showrooms in a couple of years. If they cancel it I highly doubt we'll go into an Enclave or a Traverse. We'll probably buy our lease vehicle.

By the way, if you cancel the Acadia and move forward with a Lambda Escalade, GM will officially have it's head up it's tailpipe. How can you ignore all the Acadia owners?

I am really upset with this rumor and sincerely hope it's just that....a rumor!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Ok so they have a smaller CUV than Terrain, but isn't Buick getting the Encore too? So they are still going to have overlap...

I have no issue with reducing overlap on the Lamba2 platform.

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Buick LaCrosse

I kill cars.

I had a Pontiac Grand Prix 2007-2010. Nothing else needs to be said there.
    Then I bought a Mercury Grand Marquis. They started making Panthers in 1979? I owned one for 6 months last year and it's no more.
    So I buy an Acadia back in November and now......

Way back in the day I wanted an Aurora SO bad but I was not of driving age. I guess my mere desire killed Oldsmobile.

But seriously, this is really disappointing. My Acadia reminds me of my Pontiac in a lot of ways... it seems a lot more sporty where the Enclave is luxurious and the Traverse feels a little more "cheap." There is certainly space in GM's lineup for all three.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Bad idea! That will leave two versions of the same sheet metal, Enclave and Traverse. Cost cutting much, GM?

My wife's Outlook is squared off like the Acadia which she prefers to the curves of the Chevy and Buick versions.

Are they doing this to make room for the Cadilambda?
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Odd. That's the only one my wife likes, and she's gunning for it to be her next car. We test drove the Traverse, which she dismissed; and she wouldn't consider the Enclave due to style preference.

All of the talk on the mommy message boards is about the Acadia.

Overlap is only an issue when the cars aren't distinctive, and the Acadia and Enclave are well differentiated.
    Last edited by Titanic; 02-15-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

So, what will happen with the Caddy lambda version comes out? Is the Enclave going to be put out to pasture?

Stupid. Differentiate them more and keep them around. The price increase from a Traverse to an Enclave is quite substantial. I guess GM just doesnt want new customers for GMC.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

I guess all those Acadia owner's know how us Pontiac owners feel
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening View Post
    Ok so they have a smaller CUV than Terrain, but isn't Buick getting the Encore too? So they are still going to have overlap...

I have no issue with reducing overlap on the Lamba2 platform.
    I thought the Encore was going to be on Delta II while the Terrain is slightly larger on the Theta platform.

I see Acadias everywhere, I'm very surprised by this decision. My question is, if they realized that the Acadia overlapped with the Enclave so much - why did they add a Denali version? So it can be a carbon copy?
    Regal:
    S40:

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

WHAT? It's one of their best-sellers! Come on GM!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Since when is GM concerned with GMC overlapping with other brands?

I'm not an advocate of killing GMC, but the Acadia does not overlap with the Enclave any more than any other GMC overlaps with its Chevy counterpart.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GPScott View Post
    I kill cars...
    In light of your abilities, I'd like you to drive the following vehicles:

1) Toyota Camry
    2) Toyota Corolla
    3) Toyota Avalon
    4) Toyota 4Runner
    5) Toyota Prius... That should about do it for Toyota.

Then, I'd like to see you in the following vehicles:
    1) Nissan Leaf
    2) Nissan Altima
    3) Nissan Titan... Naw, that's doing "alright" on its own
    3) Nissan Maxima
    4) Nissan Quest
    5) Nissan 370Z...

The, you should move onto Honda. Then Hyundai. Then Kia. Then BMW...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

5500 per month sales is not enough? Which is more than Enclave BTW.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Buick LaCrosse

Quote Originally Posted by tgagneguam View Post
    In light of your abilities, I'd like you to drive the following vehicles:

1) Toyota Camry
    2) Toyota Corolla
    3) Toyota Avalon
    4) Toyota 4Runner
    5) Toyota Prius... That should about do it for Toyota.

Then, I'd like to see you in the following vehicles:
    1) Nissan Leaf
    2) Nissan Altima
    3) Nissan Titan... Naw, that's doing "alright" on its own
    3) Nissan Maxima
    4) Nissan Quest
    5) Nissan 370Z...

The, you should move onto Honda. Then Hyundai. Then Kia. Then BMW...
    I had two Nissan Xterras. Maybe the Asians are immune?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

I was just at dinner with a guy who drives an ML350 who was saying he wants to get an Acadia. I doubt he'd get a Buick. Smart move GM

Also why did I see a commercial for a 2011 Lacrosse CX? I thought CX/CXL/CXS were going away.

God Bless the Blue Bullet.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information