GM Inside News Forum banner

Spied: 2017 GMC Sierra

16K views 65 replies 35 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
Facelifted GMC Sierra Spied: Details Change, the Shape Remains the Same
Car and Driver

April 17, 2015

As is generally the case with midcycle facelifts, the plastic bits are first to get overhauled. It’s clear from these photos that the grille will be updated—sans the blue oval badge, we trust—and the headlights will be revised, as well. It’s not fully obvious, but it looks like the shape of the headlamp binnacle stays the same, while the makeup of the illumination elements gets rearranged and possibly upgraded. Judged by the placement of camo on the rear corners, similar updates are in store for the taillamps.

It is interesting, however, that GM went to the trouble of covering the entire front clip. While the expensive-to-change hard bits from the A-pillar to the tailgate (doors and windows, bed and wheel-arch creases, fuel-filler location) appear to be unchanged, it’s not out of the question that the maker might spring for the tooling to update the hood and front fenders. Unfortunately, this set of images doesn’t reveal much to support this theory—camo one, spy photos zero.

#3 ·
Speaking of the headlights, which I haven't "loved" since day one, my cousin was saying something about poor light output, if true part of the reason for the changes?

Glad to see GM not making the exact same truck for years and years, almost seems too soon, but I guess it will be about in the exact middle of the cycle when it comes out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Speaking of the headlights, which I haven't "loved" since day one, my cousin was saying something about poor light output, if true part of the reason for the changes?
I have heard multiple owners saying that the projector housing of the Sierras have terrible output. Some have gone through the effort of gutting the back side of them & installing kits with different projectors & HIDs.

Indeed, light output SUCKS for this generation Sierra. Aftermarket bulbs and fogs helped a bunch with mine.

I expect the revised front to have GMC's new signature 'C' LED treatment. Can't wait to see it, the GMC is the best looking full-sizer out there IMO.
Which bulbs do you use? Also, you can see see the C-clamp style of LEDs that match the Yukon (thank goodness for that). It also appears that the turn signals will move to the space between the headlights & the grille.

#9 · (Edited)
It does look more pronounced here than in the spy photos of the Silverado from last week. Some people said that the Silverado grille looked bigger.

SierraGS said:
Like what I can see through the camo and 2017 might be a good year for me to move the 2004 to my nephew and for me to get a new SLT or upgrade to a Sierra Denali.
Oh, if that is what the headlights will look like for 2016/7, I like it better already (and I didn't think that was possible). Plus, since this is a nip & tuck & some photographer said that the interior doesn't look to have been changed, this could show up for MY2016.

#10 ·
I hope the changes aren't good enough to make me regret buying a '15 this summer. Then again I hope it does. Fix the steering column too please k thanks.

Interior controls need fixed as well.

#11 ·
A) I hope the changes aren't good enough to make me regret buying a '15 this summer. Then again I hope it does.
B) Fix the steering column too please k thanks.
C) Interior controls need fixed as well.
-A) I only expect just some nose work & possibly the tail lights. Chances are good that those parts could be ordered & swapped onto the 2014/5 Sierra (if you already have the LED headlights).
-B) Don't think that will happen.
-C) What's wrong with them?

#15 ·
The trailer brake controller doesn't need to be so high up and on the left side. The 4WD selector switch should also be closer and on the right hand side. The left hand does the driving, the right hand controls. They are just too far away to reach comfortably and on the wrong side of the steering column. Should be a small control pad just to the left of the center console, where there is already a ridiculous amount of space there to use anyway. Kind of like how the current Ford Raptor is set up. I'm talking at least for the higher end trims. Would I like a console shifter option too? I would, if done properly and still have nice storage in the center area.

#16 ·
"It is interesting, however, that GM went to the trouble of covering the entire front clip. While the expensive-to-change hard bits from the A-pillar to the tailgate (doors and windows, bed and wheel-arch creases, fuel-filler location) appear to be unchanged, it’s not out of the question that the maker might spring for the tooling to update the hood and front fenders. Unfortunately, this set of images doesn’t reveal much to support this theory—camo one, spy photos zero."

Yes. Why would they cover parts that aren't changing? But if they are not changing the rear fenders the fronts have to match. Could be the dual power dome hood is getting altered.

#20 ·
I don't care for the center stack on the new trucks or the knob/button cluster to the left of the wheel. It just isn't cohesive or something. I don't know what it is that doesn't work for me. So other than that, I'd just want to see the 8AT migrate to the 5.3L and 4.3L.

#22 ·
Yes, the Sierra has had them since 1994. Do you want to be more specific as to what your comment means? We seem to have already concluded that the C-clamp light style will become more cohesive to the rest of the lineup. And that means that instead of just a row of LEDs (or the headlight bulbs) being the DRLs, the family lighting feature will be used here. I just hope that I'm wrong about the turn signals being simple bulbs moving next to the grille. I would prefer the Sierra have a turn signal like the Yukon. The lower set of LEDs would blink amber & then return to white when the signals turn off. I have light bulbs in my truck that do that & it's cool to see.

#23 ·
WOW, I had no idea the headlights were such an issue, but based on owner feedback here it is, that needs to be fixed, I have a thing for headlight, "brightness" or visibility.

-------------------------

OK GM, since you are in the middle of this, here is my (doable) short list:

1) Express-down (and up) at least both front windows (see F150)
2) Keyless/Push-button start (see F150)
3) Fix your blind-spot mirrors (see F150)
4) 35 Gallon Fuel Tank (see F150)

There is a few other things that I'd like, but can't be fix in the MCE, so I'll hold my nose on those............

Each one of those 4 things has a value to me, so if I can get what I want/need from Ford for $45,000 then GMC is going to have to pay me to accept these short-comings.

#33 ·
1) Express-down (and up) at least both front windows (see F150)
Just to clarify, the current Silverado/Sierra currently has express down on all 4 windows. Express up is only for the drivers window. Sunroof is also one touch open/close.

Reactions: Ed753
#30 ·
The only thing I don't like about the interior of 2015 HD is the location of the door lock. Sounds petty I know, but usually the door lock is at the bottom of the switch stack on the door. This pickup has them at the front of the stack and driving a mix of different pickups prevents me from getting used to the location of the door locks. Everything else I am good with. I think it has a good mix of soft and hard touch interior appointments, after all it is a pickup and while soft touch feels high end, it wears out faster and some guys do actually work out of these things. I have a 2008 2500HD D/A with a 105K on it and the interior while certainly plain with hard touch everywhere, it wears very well.

#59 ·
Hopefully that's it or something like it, as the highs need to be separated, unlike now where a shutter is raised on the single crappy projector for high. Even after I got the TSB, the highs still point to the sky. There is no way to adjust the shutter height which would solve the problem. But really, just a high end projector would fix too, but most of us don't want to cut and disassemble the light housing to put a good projector in. The truck is truly awesome though, the light guy should be fired, or the guy how made the light guy put in a crappy projector.

#44 ·
I have two K2's, with the exception of the clunky, laggy transmission in my '15 Sierra (which is annoying as hell and makes the truck feel nutless) I've had zero problems. Only things they've been to the dealer for are recalls and preventive maintenance.

I'm not arguing that there are problems with some of these trucks, but they are nowhere near as widespread as you think.

#45 ·
I agree with NoStopN

I was afraid that I would have to illustrate that myself. :lmao:

I have two K2's, with the exception of the clunky, laggy transmission in my '15 Sierra (which is annoying as hell and makes the truck feel nutless) I've had zero problems. Only things they've been to the dealer for are recalls and preventive maintenance.

I'm not arguing that there are problems with some of these trucks, but they are nowhere near as widespread as you think.
That nutless feeling is the infamous torque management that you hear about. Instead of making the transmission capable of handling good full throttle shifts, the computers reduce power in order to make the shift. Many people have a custom engine/transmission tune which allows them to tune the torque management out. I'm sure that this does put a little more stress back into the transmission, but I have yet to hear of a stock engine (or with just an aftermarket tune) that caused a notable reduction in the life of the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.