GM Inside News Forum banner

Spied: 2017 GMC Sierra

16K views 65 replies 35 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
Facelifted GMC Sierra Spied: Details Change, the Shape Remains the Same
Car and Driver

April 17, 2015

As is generally the case with midcycle facelifts, the plastic bits are first to get overhauled. It’s clear from these photos that the grille will be updated—sans the blue oval badge, we trust—and the headlights will be revised, as well. It’s not fully obvious, but it looks like the shape of the headlamp binnacle stays the same, while the makeup of the illumination elements gets rearranged and possibly upgraded. Judged by the placement of camo on the rear corners, similar updates are in store for the taillamps.

It is interesting, however, that GM went to the trouble of covering the entire front clip. While the expensive-to-change hard bits from the A-pillar to the tailgate (doors and windows, bed and wheel-arch creases, fuel-filler location) appear to be unchanged, it’s not out of the question that the maker might spring for the tooling to update the hood and front fenders. Unfortunately, this set of images doesn’t reveal much to support this theory—camo one, spy photos zero.

#52 ·
Whatever exterior changes are made, I hope that the interior's get updated as well. Though lots of folks like the ergonomics of the Sierra/Silverado interior, I've never been a fan of the design. The materials are good, the fit n' finish is great; but the design is less-than-inspired. The vast expanse of plastic to the left of the steering wheel (for three buttons/dials, no less) is a waste and comes off as an afterthought. In my honest opinion, the RAM, F-150, and 2016 Titan interiors are all nicer in appearance and style.

What's more, if the interiors are revised, I hope that there is some better differentiation between the GMC and Silverado's interiors. If GMC is going to be a bit elevated from Chevrolet to chase premium-intending customers, they deserve an interior that has at least a few elements that are different from it's lower-rung Chevy cousin.

Just my opinion, of course.

#60 ·
Bad projector housings are notorious for the GM trucks. When I got my '02 Sierra, I thought of going to the Denali style projector housings & was advised against it by quite a few people. I got lucky by finding new housings that mimic the '07-'13 design & they are great.

#61 ·
Is it the light power that is the problem, or just the shape of the beam casted by the lights? I shouldn't have to upgrade to HIDs but other people seem to say that aftermarket HIDs solve the issue.

#63 ·
I would also like GMC to move toward LED lights. The tail lights are almost par for the course these days. The LED headlights would be a nice addition. The projector or bulb being at fault is a little harder to nail down. It's probably a little from column A & a little from column B. The projector beams in my GTO were just fine, but being closer to the ground may have been more favorable than the higher position on a truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.