GMC plans to add Granite subcompact crossover

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMC plans to add Granite subcompact crossover

Thanks

by Automotive News

GMC dealers will get a shot at a new set of buyers starting in 2013, when General Motors is expected to launch its GMC Granite subcompact crossover.

That will diversify GMC beyond its core truck buyers, building on momentum from hot sales of its Terrain crossover. For the first time, GMC dealers will have a vehicle to fit urban lifestyles, one that can compete for shoppers with the Scion xB and Kia Soul.

Not that the brand is ignoring its core truck buyers. The Sierra 1500 full-sized pickup and Yukon SUV account for almost half of GMC's sales. Redesigned versions of those two trucks are expected in 2013.

Here are GMC's plans for the 2012-14 model years.

Granite: GM has green-lighted the subcompact crossover for the 2013 model year. It will include Dutch doors on the passenger side, as shown on the concept version unveiled at the 2010 Detroit auto show. The concept had a 1.4-liter turbocharged engine with a six-speed manual transmission; a 2.0-liter turbo and a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated option are possibilities, too.

Terrain: The hot-selling crossover is scheduled to get a high-end Denali version in 2012 for the 2013 model year. For the 2014 model year it may get GM's eAssist light hybrid system.

Acadia: The crossover will be reskinned for the 2013 model year, including a new grille, front and rear fascias and an improved interior. It also will get a 3.0-liter V-6 to replace its current 3.6-liter version. A next-generation Acadia is likely for the 2015 model year.

Yukon, Yukon XL: The next generation of the truck-based SUV will appear in early 2013 as a 2014 model. It likely will share some sheet metal with the Sierra pickup to cut costs. Powertrain enhancements probably will include an eight-speed transmission and the addition of GM's four-mode hybrid system, an upgrade of its current two-mode system, which uses planetary gears and electric motors to conserve fuel. The four-mode system improves fuel efficiency in a wider range of driving and towing situations.

Canyon: The compact pickup will be discontinued when the Shreveport, La., plant that makes it is shuttered by mid-2012. But in March, GM unveiled a next generation of the Chevrolet Colorado, a sister vehicle to the Canyon, at an auto show in Thailand.

GM hasn't announced plans to sell that vehicle in the United States, but sources say it will be sold here eventually. If so, it's unclear whether the mid-sized truck would be badged as both a Colorado and Canyon, as is done with the current generation of the pickups.

Sierra 1500: A re-engineered, restyled truck should appear in the second half of 2013 for the 2014 model year. GM is expected to deploy a number of powertrain features to boost fuel efficiency, possibly including a six-cylinder turbocharged version and an optional eight-speed transmission.

Sierra 2500, 3500: Restyled versions of the heavy-duty pickups, which were re-engineered for the 2011 model year, are expected in the 2014 or 2015 model year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Re: GMC plans to add Granite subcompact crossover

I hope the Granite remains just like the concept vehicle but with a 2.0T, including the folding seats. Awesome concept.

Thanks

If it's coming for the 2013 model year, I'm surprised that we haven't seen any engineering mules yet.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

2013?

Yeah...no.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust coming soon...

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Now just add a Holden Ute as a GMC Sprint to that lineup and it would be quite impressive.

Cannot .....resist ..... mentioning ...... Ute.

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

Thanks

3.0 V6 replacing the 3.6 in the Acadia? I hope they have some serious improvements planned for the engine, or it won't stand a chance.
    Regal:
    S40:

Thanks
    My Ride
    Terrain/2012/Olympic White

All looks good to me, I know of hope with the sapposed Terrain Denali that it gets things like heated steering wheel and cooled seats up front. Not just body color moldings and a honey comb grill. Gotta add content to make people want it. Other then that I wonder how true this all is....

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
    Now just add a Holden Ute as a GMC Sprint to that lineup and it would be quite impressive.

Cannot .....resist ..... mentioning ...... Ute.
    Haha, do you mean like an actual sprinter under the GMC brand or you talking a like El Comino deal? Just wanna understand since I know people have been wanting a kind of El Comino to return to the states with no Colorodo/Canyon for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    If it's coming for the 2013 model year, I'm surprised that we haven't seen any engineering mules yet.
    Yup unless they are using the sonic chasis then it doesn't need that much testing now does it...... ^^ Idk what chasis it would use, foreget what was said, but you never know with GM these days.

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    I hope the Granite remains just like the concept vehicle but with a 2.0T, including the folding seats. Awesome concept.
    It sure is an awesome little car, very cool. If I lived in the city like NYC or Philly i'd def buy a car like that. Be easier to do anything that way then something like an Acadia.
    Current:
    2012 GMC Terrain AWD SLT-2 with 3.0L
    2007 Sierra 3500 Classic (dad's)x2
    2009 Chevy HHR (Moms hot rod)
    1997 Toyota Corolla (clown car, mom owns)

Past:
    1994 Ford Ranger
    1994 Ford Explorer

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'm skeptical about the claim that the Acadia will get the 3.0 as part of the 2013 refresh. The rumors were that the lambdas will get a version of the 3.0t (or tt, maybe?) at redesign in 2015 (or whenever that is). I would guess the rumors are more accurate. If the engine does get replaced at refresh in 2013, then I would expect it to be a forced induction 3.0, not the naturally aspirated version.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Will Canyon carry on? Is the volume there? GMC could do a crossover based on it or a reskinned truck or nuttin at all.

Maybe GMC should be taking notes from Ram and adding commercial vehicles such as vans to their lineup. A little extra product would help.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    3.0 V6 replacing the 3.6 in the Acadia? I hope they have some serious improvements planned for the engine, or it won't stand a chance.
    I think it may be the much-rumored 3.0 Twin Turbo V6 we heard about last year.

As far as Terrain upgrades..hopefully next year (with the Denali Version) comes a replacement for the 3.0 (the 3.0 Twin turbo or the DI 3.6) as well as an upgrade from the 2.4 4 cylinder to the new 2.5.

Thanks

OK, the sissification of GMC is now official.
    "It's starting to hit me like a ....ummmm... two ton heavy thing"

Current Car : 2004 Chevrolet Classic (RIP Dad)

YEH
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

The Granite's sheetmetal better not change much from the concept.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x

I really liked the Granite concept. Same idea as Scion/Cube/etc but it actually looks good. I like efficient urban haulers, I might actually consider buying one. I wonder if my bike would fit in it? That would be a big deal for me.

Thanks

2013? Really?

The twin turbo 3.0 would be perfect in the lambdas, I'm still skeptical of it in a Silverado, I don't see the advantage over a V8 there.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Fantastic! This is a great product that won't be duplicated by Buick in the same showroom. Plus it broadens GMC's appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by poncho1982 View Post
    OK, the sissification of GMC is now official.
    Sissification is an understandable concern but compared to what? GMC isn't really professional grade anyway. The Acadia is just another crossover and the Terrain is not a robust vehicle.

Jeep has survived the Compass & Patriot. GMC will be fine with the Granite.
    * Pictured are a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger and a 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information