GM Inside News Forum banner

GMC Owner Walks Away From Horrific Crash

9K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  solman98 
#1 ·
Newsday

May 27, 2015

Photo Credit: Thomas J. Lambui

A driver walked away with just scratches in Ridge after his sport utility vehicle crashed into trees and flipped against a big one that ripped off the roof and passenger side, a fire official said. When rescuers arrived, the man's GMC Yukon was resting on the driver's side, with parts of the vehicle spread among a stand of trees and parts of trees inside the vehicle, said Second Assistant Chief Louis Kaiser of the Ridge fire department.

"It was pretty horrific," he said. "In my 20 years of service, I haven't seen anything that bad that people walked away from."

Firefighters got the call at 3:20 p.m. about the crash on southbound William Floyd Parkway, near Longwood Road, and when they arrived, the driver had already gotten out of wreckage, Kaiser said. He was taken to a nearby hospital, he said.

"From what I gathered, he didn't remember what happened," the fire chief said. "He just got transported with a couple of lacerations on his hand." His Yukon hit four "scrawny" trees before smacking into the hard wood of what appeared to be a pine tree, considered a softwood.

There was "no bark left" on one side of the tree trunk, which was the circumference of a basketball hoop, Kaiser said.

"He's pretty lucky," Kaiser said. "He should play the lottery."

See less See more
#9 ·
It looks like a GMT-800 Denali, by the wheels and two-tone rear seat. So it's at least 10 years old or extremely close to it. Those didn't even have curtain airbags, IIRC.

#15 ·
Friend of mine who worked at a caddy dealership was driving one the last olds silhouettes minivans and got hit head on by a truck on a bridge. When he was slamming on the brakes he got rearended. The truck ended up on top of the minivan shearing most of the roof off. His seat back broke which laid him down in the back of the van. He only had an injury to his hand and cut on his forehead. When he went back to work a few day later he saw the minivan in the back lot and took off across the hwy to a bar with the General manager and another employee running behind to make sure he was okay.

#16 ·
True story my cousin who is a Nurse practitioner had been hit by a Toyota Tacoma while in her Gen 4 Camaro Z28 and the accident was of the front overlap sort 55 mph for the Tacoma & 15-20mph in the Camaro and survived. In New Jersey we have main roads and highways that have what I call a suicide lane where cars from both directions can go to make left turns into shops, restaurants & Chain stores. Anyways she swore by her GM sports cars and then bought a C5 Corvette which was then in another high speed crash this time with a drunk on the other side hitting the driver door/quarter panel. She was driving through a green light and the drunk blew a red and just destroyed the Vette and flipped it. She survived and well with barely any scratches. Swore by her Chevy performance vehicles again and then in 2004 bought a second C5. This C5 is still in great condition and a second gen Escalade EXT is now her primary. Crash safety has meant a lot as well as performance and luxury and my cousin will be and is a GM gal for life.

#19 ·
Good question.

It should be in "Sports."

Reactions: Mentat Bashar
#20 ·
Damn. Just damn. You can bet that guy went home and hugged his kids.

#21 ·
I'd assume he had to put on some fresh boxers first.

#29 ·
Yeah, don't hold your breath on that Hilux. Maybe one day Toyota will see fit to make the Tacoma looks like the Hilux (or maybe to be exactly identical), but whatever they do it will have to be able to roll down the Texas assembly line. Considering the size of the Tacoma, they might as well make the Tacoma a Hilux, even if they keep the Tacoma name.

#34 ·
Lucky indeed, that looks like it went through a schredder. He must have been in the only spot that stayed intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.