GM Inside News Forum banner

GMC May Get An SUV That Looks Like A Hummer To Rival Jeep Wrangler

32K views 131 replies 73 participants last post by  jossch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GMC May Get An SUV That Looks Like A Hummer To Rival Jeep Wrangler
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Posted by Zac Estrada

General Motors might finally be serious about giving GMC some distinctive product, and one that would give the hot-selling Jeep Wrangler some competition.

GM is asking for feedback from GMC dealers about a new model that would go head-to-head with the Jeep and sport some cues from the defunct Hummer brand, sources close to matter told the Wall Street Journal.

Those Hummer styling cues mean this rumored GMC could bear some resemblance to the Hummer Hx concept from the 2008 Detroit Auto Show – or at least share it's open-topped spirit. That concept was also powered by a 3.6-liter V6 like the current Wrangler and within two inches of the four-door Wrangler Unlimited's length.

CONTINUE AT AUTOSCOOPS.COM

****************​

Poster's Comments:

LOOOOOOK I don't like to get aggressive with G.M. But is kills me that GM has so much industrial and design might/power, that it seldom got utilised in the right way. This new team at GM in charge seems to get it. They also seem to get what us GM loyalists have been screaming for. We don't want to cross shop different manufactures to get what we want. If I want a Range Rover Sport Super Charged, why should I not be able to get one from Cadillac, why should I have to leave GM to get that certain type of SUV. If I want a Jeep Wrangler and boy have we almost bought a 4 door one many a time, but we held off praying GM would bring the Hummer HX -- H4 concept to reality. Why should we have to leave GM to purchase one. Keep us GM people at GM. Same goes for performance minded PONTIAC, that was killed, can we not get GM to do a performance line again to keep us gearheads here. Why should we have to run to Dodge.

Look NEW GM could save boat loads of money by doing more product tie ups with other manufacturers, like for instance GM is coming out with a Range Rover Sport competitor in 4 years, if they use the Omega platform fine, but if they don't why not do a deal with Land Rover/Range Rover, they have an amazingly light platform and use aluminum on their bodies, that's exactly where GM needs to be anyways. This would save big bucks. As for the H4 bring it as I have been screaming about for and in many articles in a 2 and 4 door variation, the 4 door will far outsell the 2 door and build it in house on the new Colorado/Canyon Platform.

GMC is the brand that can pull off a lifestyle vehicle, yes Hummer tried the H3 and Toyota tried the FJ cruiser, but they were not in the right timed market. GM right now is finding its MOJO again, now is the right time to build a true Wrangler competitor. Market is right to lifestyle people, put it in outdoor stores to showcase it Braun, Looks, Tech, Efficiency, take it to events where they do Motocross/Dirt biking - Snow Boarding - Rallying etc. This will sell this sucker like no other.

From this article which I have posted the link the source seems to state that GM is finally getting it, why let Jeep control this market, why let Jeep run away with boat loads of cash to fuel other products. GM needs to show the world that they are market leaders in every market and niche market, heck go out and create new niches. This Wrangler Competitor is exactly what GM needs to get better at, --- Doing more tough lifestyle products to compete with the Wrangler and Cherokee.

On another note, I just saw the New Ford F-150, I owned a 2011 F-150 FX4 --6 inch lift, bull bars, side steps, 37 inch Tires etc, the Fords just looked best in lifted form and just look better than anything GM ever had. Well uummmm the New F150 sure is one UGGLYYYYYYYY Truck, wow daddy hit him with a bat to hard. It is just a bad overall design. Now if GM can get their next trucks right, make them TONKA Tough, give them a more Hummer type flare, give them bigger fender flares, give them a big aggressive Vent or Shield after the Front Tire fender flare, give that passenger window area some unique design flare, give them a hood scoop look. Then GM will have the right trucks and they don't need to worry about Fords new F 150, now its the ugly duckling.

SO NEW GM ----- PLEASE keep rocking out the hits like the New Camaro, the New C7 Corvette, The New Colorado/Canyon Twins, The New Tahoe/Escalade/Yukon Twins. Get rid of Cadillac's Current design language it's killing the brand, read my other articles about that. Cadillac Design needs to be more Fluid, and still have art and science creases. round those edges some, bulge out the front fenders some and let them rise above the hood line. MMMMM that's how I see Cadillac design.. Anyways Keep it real GM, keep your ears to the ground and listen to us GM loyalist, we are the ones you want to keep and the competitor's customers will come when they see how amazing GM vehicles are starting to look, giving them everything they wanted. ONLY this time it's GM that has it all, not the competition.

Attachments

See less See more
#44 ·
About time GM gets serious about GMC and think we will finally see some GMC exclusive vehicles (or all new GM management) given FCA's earnings released today that show revenue that beat estimates by a tick under 1 billion Euros which is well over $1 Billion for the 4th quarter based on major percentage increases in global Jeep sales.

Been saying for years that GM is leaving 100's of Billions of dollars of GMC sales revenue by not offering a full line of vehicles in the U.S. and not selling GMC vehicles globally, and now Wall Street will demand GM deliver those 100's of Billions of Dollars in GMC sales revenue or pay the price in stock value.

All of the Automakers will scramble to offer something, but as the article points out, it is nearly impossible for a car brand to position itself as an Offroad Lifestyle or "SUV" brand. GM is the only auto company in the world outside of FCA that has a brand that can take full advantage of the full spectrum of an "SUV" brand from Fiat Panda sized CUV up to Full Luxury Yukon Denali with vehicles like a Wrangler/H3 full on off-roader SUV in-between. And then there are the Trucks with Mid-Size Canyon and Full size Sierra that can have multiple variants from high performance Syclone to H3-T to Raptor competitor.

GMC should have a lineup of 20+ vehicles for global sales.
Jimmy/Jim-E (Panda/Adam Rocks/soon to be announced Jeep)
Granite (Mokka/Renegade)
Graphyte (Dune Buggy)
Borrego (Compass)
Terrain (Cherokee)
Safari 2D/4D (Wrangler/HX/H3)
Canyon/H3-T (Jeep Wrangler Truck)
Canyon Syclone
Acadia (Explorer)
Envoy (Grand Cherokee)
Envoy XL (Wagoneer)
Yukon
Sierra/HD
Sonoma (Avalanche)
Sierra Alpha (Raptor/Jeep Full Size Truck)
Yukon
Yukon-L (Mercedes GL)
Yukon Alpha (H2)
Yukon XL

There are also (5) Van models not shown along with a few niche market Sierra and Yukon variants and All models would offer Denali trim.

GM should have done this 5 years ago and it would have cash for development of just about anything it wanted.

#51 ·
Gmc should definitely get the H4 ..hell call it the H4 and bring it out immediately as it was all designed and ready to go..

Out a diesel in it as well and call it a gmc h4..

#52 ·
GMC Mulls Jeep Wranger Rival

GMC could add a Jeep Wrangler competitor to its lineup in the future.

According to a recent report from The Wall Street Journal, GM is mulling an off-road SUV for its GMC brand that would be a direct competitor to the Jeep Wrangler. Rumors of GMC adding a capable off-road SUV to its lineup have been swirling since March 2014, but now the American automaker is polling its dealers to get a gauge on potential demand.

It is being reported that GMC believes a new off-road model would help boost the brand significantly and sources claim that the new model would draw inspiration from the now defunct Hummer brand with similar capability. The potential SUV model is still in the discussion phase but it is likely that GM is seriously considering the model since it is asking the opinions of dealerships.
For more on this story, GMC Mulls Jeep Wranger Rival and all the latest auto news please visit AutoGuide.com.

#58 ·
Re: GMC Mulls Jeep Wranger Rival

They should just call it The GMC Hummer or Hummer by GMC then they get to have the cachet of the Hummer name without actually resurrecting the complete brand.
Hummer should have been a sub-brand of GMC (or Chevy) from the get go. Would have been more flexible to market conditions.

#57 ·

Typical GM always late to the punch line. They could of brought out a similar Hummer 30 years ago. They won their patten on the Hummer grill years ago, with Chrysler. When you get to big, the left hand does't know what the right hand is doing. :drive:

#59 · (Edited by Moderator)
GMC Mulls Jeep Wrangler Rival

GMC could add a Jeep Wrangler competitor to its lineup in the future.

According to a recent report from The Wall Street Journal, GM is mulling an off-road SUV for its GMC brand that would be a direct competitor to the Jeep Wrangler. Rumors of GMC adding a capable off-road SUV to its lineup have been swirling since March 2014, but now the American automaker is polling its dealers to get a gauge on potential demand.
Read more about the GMC Mulls Jeep Wranger Rival at AutoGuide.com.

#61 ·

Wait.... Is GMC thinking about making a Wrangler competitor? I hadn't heard anything about this over the past 4 years....

**** or get off the pot GM... **** or get off the pot.

#62 ·
GMC absolutely must re-invent itself! It can't continue hiding under the Chevy skirt forever. Currently the Sierra and Yukon Denali carry the brand forward quite adequately. Adequate is not good enough!

Therefore GMC should dust off the old Hummer label and incorporate it into the line-up. I am not saying rebuild the old Hummers, but rather a new breed of modern Jeep crucifiers. Bring on the Renegade, Liberty, Grand Cherokee and Wrangler versions of the new Hummer. Jeep sales are soaring and GM is missing the boat again. Alpha-numerics work for this brand: H2, H3, H4.

Chevy should probably drop its 4X4 entries in favor of restructuring the GMC brand as a Jeep beater.
GMC should begin to separate itself from Chevrolet moreso.
GMC should have its own dedicated 4X4 team.
GMC should have its own dedicated assembly plant (maybe with AM General as an outpost).

Maybe they could even move GMC HQ to a more creative and rugged New York City atmosphere somewhere north of 111th Street.

#68 ·
This plays on a seemingly lack of awareness of what Jeep in general and the Jeep Wrangler in particular have become. The Wrangler was the follow-on to the Jeep CJ (Civilian Jeep), the civilian version of the venerable military vehicle. Today's Wrangler has become yet another four-door fully-enclosed 4WD vehicle. No longer is it the rugged little truck designed to navigate rocky terrain. It is today now a station wagon better suited to navigate the terrain of the nearest shopping mall parking lot.

Look at your other Jeep models. Jeep under its Italian owners introduced the new Cherokee. These eyes see one ugly SUV. The buying public sees the reinvention of sliced bread. They are buying them in droves. And don't get me started on the Renegade.

What this all gets down to is that most people here are demanding that GMC build vehicles to compete with the vehicles that Jeep has now largely abandoned. Quite frankly, I like GMC's current product line much better than I like Jeep's current product line.

#64 ·

No brainer, DO IT!!

#71 ·

Meanwhile Jeep is selling these

GMC is still not sure this would sell in the market place.. Dealers have not completed their survey

The only problem with the Granite concept is it does not have an off-road/rugged look to it. It merely looks like a Kia Soul on 'roids.

Reactions: DetroitIron
#70 ·

Tracker was the first car that I owned and I still swear by the fun factor of a small 2 door 4x4 with an open top.

Reactions: oldmember2
#78 ·

GMC could pretty easily move a whole lot more metal with a Renegade, Wrangler, and Grand Cherokee competitor, that really look the part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.