GM Inside News Forum banner

GMC May Get An SUV That Looks Like A Hummer To Rival Jeep Wrangler

32K views 131 replies 73 participants last post by  jossch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GMC May Get An SUV That Looks Like A Hummer To Rival Jeep Wrangler
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Posted by Zac Estrada

General Motors might finally be serious about giving GMC some distinctive product, and one that would give the hot-selling Jeep Wrangler some competition.

GM is asking for feedback from GMC dealers about a new model that would go head-to-head with the Jeep and sport some cues from the defunct Hummer brand, sources close to matter told the Wall Street Journal.

Those Hummer styling cues mean this rumored GMC could bear some resemblance to the Hummer Hx concept from the 2008 Detroit Auto Show – or at least share it's open-topped spirit. That concept was also powered by a 3.6-liter V6 like the current Wrangler and within two inches of the four-door Wrangler Unlimited's length.

CONTINUE AT AUTOSCOOPS.COM

****************​

Poster's Comments:

LOOOOOOK I don't like to get aggressive with G.M. But is kills me that GM has so much industrial and design might/power, that it seldom got utilised in the right way. This new team at GM in charge seems to get it. They also seem to get what us GM loyalists have been screaming for. We don't want to cross shop different manufactures to get what we want. If I want a Range Rover Sport Super Charged, why should I not be able to get one from Cadillac, why should I have to leave GM to get that certain type of SUV. If I want a Jeep Wrangler and boy have we almost bought a 4 door one many a time, but we held off praying GM would bring the Hummer HX -- H4 concept to reality. Why should we have to leave GM to purchase one. Keep us GM people at GM. Same goes for performance minded PONTIAC, that was killed, can we not get GM to do a performance line again to keep us gearheads here. Why should we have to run to Dodge.

Look NEW GM could save boat loads of money by doing more product tie ups with other manufacturers, like for instance GM is coming out with a Range Rover Sport competitor in 4 years, if they use the Omega platform fine, but if they don't why not do a deal with Land Rover/Range Rover, they have an amazingly light platform and use aluminum on their bodies, that's exactly where GM needs to be anyways. This would save big bucks. As for the H4 bring it as I have been screaming about for and in many articles in a 2 and 4 door variation, the 4 door will far outsell the 2 door and build it in house on the new Colorado/Canyon Platform.

GMC is the brand that can pull off a lifestyle vehicle, yes Hummer tried the H3 and Toyota tried the FJ cruiser, but they were not in the right timed market. GM right now is finding its MOJO again, now is the right time to build a true Wrangler competitor. Market is right to lifestyle people, put it in outdoor stores to showcase it Braun, Looks, Tech, Efficiency, take it to events where they do Motocross/Dirt biking - Snow Boarding - Rallying etc. This will sell this sucker like no other.

From this article which I have posted the link the source seems to state that GM is finally getting it, why let Jeep control this market, why let Jeep run away with boat loads of cash to fuel other products. GM needs to show the world that they are market leaders in every market and niche market, heck go out and create new niches. This Wrangler Competitor is exactly what GM needs to get better at, --- Doing more tough lifestyle products to compete with the Wrangler and Cherokee.

On another note, I just saw the New Ford F-150, I owned a 2011 F-150 FX4 --6 inch lift, bull bars, side steps, 37 inch Tires etc, the Fords just looked best in lifted form and just look better than anything GM ever had. Well uummmm the New F150 sure is one UGGLYYYYYYYY Truck, wow daddy hit him with a bat to hard. It is just a bad overall design. Now if GM can get their next trucks right, make them TONKA Tough, give them a more Hummer type flare, give them bigger fender flares, give them a big aggressive Vent or Shield after the Front Tire fender flare, give that passenger window area some unique design flare, give them a hood scoop look. Then GM will have the right trucks and they don't need to worry about Fords new F 150, now its the ugly duckling.

SO NEW GM ----- PLEASE keep rocking out the hits like the New Camaro, the New C7 Corvette, The New Colorado/Canyon Twins, The New Tahoe/Escalade/Yukon Twins. Get rid of Cadillac's Current design language it's killing the brand, read my other articles about that. Cadillac Design needs to be more Fluid, and still have art and science creases. round those edges some, bulge out the front fenders some and let them rise above the hood line. MMMMM that's how I see Cadillac design.. Anyways Keep it real GM, keep your ears to the ground and listen to us GM loyalist, we are the ones you want to keep and the competitor's customers will come when they see how amazing GM vehicles are starting to look, giving them everything they wanted. ONLY this time it's GM that has it all, not the competition.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Finally, gmc will get their wrangler, i have been pushing.

that article sounds very, very speculative

#4 ·
#7 ·
Rumors of GM/GMC producing a Wrangler competetor are alot like Jeep rumors of a Wrangler Pickup. Makes sense and everyone loves it but it never seems to happen.

Frankly, GMC could certainly use the product more then Jeep. Unfortunately, GM's adventures with GMC seem to always begin and end with a Denali package to some shared Chevy product.

#37 ·
I would have to agree, frankly they need to leverage the All Terrain range better than they are currently; although I am glad to see it spread onto all three of GMC's pickups, I think there would be some value in having some SUVs featuring it as well, and better yet making all of them more off-road rugged than they are now.

#12 ·
I would really be interested in this kind of vehicle from GMC but until I see mules and IVER's running around it's a lot of wishing and hoping. It's a shame that there is so much potential there in GMC that is underutilized.

#13 ·
I don't think GM is going to make another "Hummer look-alike vehicle" like the article says after they stopped making the Hummer due to environmental backlashes and marginal sales.

If they want to compete with Jeep, they could do a lot better than another big ol ugly Hummer. They would have to make something a little more like a Jeep Wrangler with solid axles that will go anywhere.

Just my opinion.

#15 ·
Something like this is years off, so no need to get excited. Once again, GM brass is behind the eight ball in anticipating customers desires. Jeep sales, particularly among women, are taking off. People love true off-road vehicles. Instead, GM expands its wimpy line up of front wheel drive grocery getters.

#20 ·
Something like this is years off, so no need to get excited. Once again, GM brass is behind the eight ball in anticipating customers desires. Jeep sales, particularly among women, are taking off. People love true off-road vehicles.Instead, GM expands its wimpy line up of front wheel drive grocer y getters.

You do know that all but 2 Jeeps are FWD?

Reactions: ekseubert
#18 ·
Well Yahtzee.... How long will it take for the Head of GMC to grow some brass and demand 3-4 distinctive models to grow GM's most profitable brand. If there where a place to srew around with niche products like a Coupe Suv (X6 etc) or a Wrangler fighter or Avalanche replacement this would be it.

#41 ·
True they need balls in a big way. Just an example: no Cruze hatch 'cause it might step on toes of Trax BS.
"Moab is a joke"?

HUMMER should have NEVER been its own brand requiring stand alone dealerships. Period. They SHOULD have been sold through GMC dealers in the first place.

GM needs a REAL off road vehicle, not just Bilstein shocks and some stickers. The Colorado is the perfect platform for this.
This would have been a much better proposition for Hummer, then it still might be here. Colorado is the perfect platform for a real off roader both Jeep Wrangler like and otherwise(Blazer).

#23 ·
I hope it does NOT look like a JEEP/Hummer at all in the styling Dept BUT actually "A" ties in with GMC and "B" is an original design as I believe a GMC or any other Jeep rip off will do as well as all the BMW 3 series clones out there
and a quote from a poster on the original article
Toyota's FJ Cruiser bit into Wrangler sales initially, but the Wrangler has an enduring appeal: Convertible on top of off road prowess with large aftermarket accessory providers.
I agree with the aftermarket "support" for the Jeep NEVER will be copied onto a COPY truck that will never have Jeeps sales/legacy
something like the new LADA NIVA shown a few months ago IMHO would be a good "base" to start from
and maybe GM could actually bring NEW TECH / designs to an off road vehicle Like the HMMWV gear hubs + offset spindles with A arm independent suspension designed with MORE articulation + clearance then ever possible with SOLID axles

#29 ·
How about a ZR2 first. Then a the return of the Blazer (not Trailblazer, please). Then a ZR2 version of that.

One thing is certain. If this GMC Wrangler ever does happen, which is a big IF, it'll be too big or won't really stack up properly to the Jeep in some performance measure. No way GM gets this right if they ever do it.

OR Jeep will come out with an all aluminum Wrangler a few months later and the GMC will already be dated.

#32 ·
"Moab is a joke"?

HUMMER should have NEVER been its own brand requiring stand alone dealerships. Period. They SHOULD have been sold through GMC dealers in the first place.

GM needs a REAL off road vehicle, not just Bilstein shocks and some stickers. The Colorado is the perfect platform for this.

#33 ·
Agreed. Colorado ZR2 needs to be fast tracked. Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty challenging sections at Moab..... But I don't see that Crown Victoria being
able to climb the Rubicon like it was doing at Moab.... There are quite a few "easy" portions at Moab that a Honda CR-V could probably even manage.

#34 ·

I was absolutely in love with this (Hx) and the H3T concepts from Hummer. Though the H3T concept was nothing like the production H3T, I'd still would have been a happy H3T owner if I had the opportunity back in 2009 or 2010.

Reactions: oldmember2
#40 ·
Agreed 100%. So few people realize just how effective live axles are for the way they articulate over uneven
terrain -- or how easy it is to put a lift kit on a vehicle with live axles. Sure, the Hummer H1 proved an independent
suspension could also rock in off-road situations..... But the live axle setups are just easier to work with once you
start upgrading/modifying the vehicle.

#39 ·
It would be nice to have a "jeep" that wasn't in the garage all the time. Hope they do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.