GM Inside News Forum banner

GMC Exec Wants Canyon Denali; "I'm not just going to badge engineer it."

10K views 78 replies 49 participants last post by  Z Fury 
#1 ·
Automotive News

Image Credit: Motor Trend magazine

September 29, 2014

Article Quotes:

None of the new GMC Canyon midsize pickups that began shipping to dealerships this month wears a Denali badge signifying the truck brand's high-end trim line.

GMC chief Duncan Aldred wants to change that.

"I'm pushing the engineers and designers to give me a credible Denali," Aldred told Automotive News during a Canyon media drive here last week.

Denali, introduced in the 1999 model year, has evolved into a powerful trim level for GMC in recent years. General Motors has sought to capitalize on its popularity by adding Denali models across GMC's lineup.

"I'm going to sell quite a lot of Canyons, so that's kind of going to halt my progress" if the pickup doesn't eventually get a Denali version, Aldred said.

Denali models get cosmetic enhancements inside and out, such as a bolder grille and aluminum interior trim. They often get their own engines, such as a larger 6.2-liter V-8 in the redesigned '15 Yukon Denali. Aldred wouldn't tip his hand on what he'd like to see in a future Canyon version.

"I'm not just going to badge engineer it," he said. "It's got to be credible."

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: GMC Exec Wants Canyon Denali; "I'm not just going to badge engineer it."

It didn't occur to someone until they are hitting the dealers that maybe they needed to develop a Denali? If this is not just badge engineered, we are looking at at least 18 months before we see one. That is INcredible...and inexcusable.

#26 ·

It didn't occur to someone until they are hitting the dealers that maybe they needed to develop a Denali? If this is not just badge engineered, we are looking at at least 18 months before we see one. That is INcredible...and inexcusable.
I do not think they are that stupid. Part of this guy's job is a little gamesmanship and too not tip his hand. As far as what the package should look like? It depends on where they want to take this thing. Boulevard cruiser like the rest of the Denali line or off road warrior? It's a off road warrior then a small lift kid, real with a 4x4 low (not sure if the 4x4 system on this truck has this already), wheels/tires, skid plates, trim package, maybe a winch/custom bumper package. As far as engines I would go with the 5.3 if it fits and if they have done the emissions testing with it etc. If it's a boulevard cruiser then up the leather content, trim package and go with a V8/8 speed auto with dual exhaust.

The big complaint in the past was not having a V-8 option with the smaller GM trucks until the last generation of these trucks. It defeats the purpose of having a small fuel efficient truck but when these things get a little older people will stuff a V8 in them anyways like they did the S-10 so GM might as well cash in on that idea now.

#6 ·

A new vehicle doesn't need all veresions at introduction, as initial sales will be good. Only after the initial glow is gone does new versions make a difference and enhance sales. Bringing it out next year is the right time.
I agree with this. Let the Denali show up as a '16 model, when hopefully the 8-speed is available for these trucks. Same with a possible Colorado ZR2. Let the trucks sell year 1 first, then offer the new trims. GM needs some way to combat a redesigned Tacoma and Frontier. Holding these trims back a year allows GM to shift attention back to their trucks after the competition plays their hand.

#5 ·

They often get their own engines, such as a larger 6.2-liter V-8 in the redesigned '15 Yukon Denali.
Mike Colias would've been "more" honest had he said, "They often get the top engine available in that model". The Sierra, Sierra HD's, Acadia or Terrain Denali's do not get any exclusive powertrains that are not available elsewhere in their model lineups.

#7 ·

I really think they could do more with the Denali line, for me the Terrain is the worst offender of them all: the additions of wood trim look nice on the inside, but that and Side Blind Spot detection/Rear Cross Traffic are the only differences save the requisite grill and other bling. Would it be that hard to add rear heated seats, front cooled seats, HID's, a better interior color combo, a skylight or pano roof for the back passengers, etc?? The Denali buyer has the cash, cater to them!!

#31 · (Edited)

I really think they could do more with the Denali line, for me the Terrain is the worst offender of them all: the additions of wood trim look nice on the inside, but that and Side Blind Spot detection/Rear Cross Traffic are the only differences save the requisite grill and other bling. Would it be that hard to add rear heated seats, front cooled seats, HID's, a better interior color combo, a skylight or pano roof for the back passengers, etc?? The Denali buyer has the cash, cater to them!!
The cooled seats would require re-engineering the seats or a new seat (unless they already accounted for this), heated seats not so much unless I am missing something. Panorama sunroof would be much more difficult, having to re-design the structural cell of the truck to accommodate and pass safety techs.

I think the 4.3 would be the ideal engine to bring to Canyon Denali
Yeah, great idea. Hey, come buy our new top of the line truck with a top of the line engine, oh but it has less power than the regular version and costs more and get worse mileage. Only car people would know the importance of torque. Most just see the advertised number and don't care where the power comes on.

I do. The 4.3 has been identified as a truck engine, and as such belongs in trucks. The 3.6, on the other hand, is found in many cars and crossovers, and with a torque peak vvery high for a truck.
Ugh, this argument again. This isn't the 1960's, engines are designed to be used across multiple architectures and adapt. Best case in point, the 6.2 in the vette/trucks. If you are an engine expert, please tell me which is using what version. Is the truck using a car engine or is the vette using a truck engine? They changed very little in that engine between the two motors. They changed more for the Canyon/Colly vs the camaro 3.6 than they did between the vette and trucks.

In today's motors they change the intake style, adjust the cam profiles and make tuning adjustments and bam, you have a engine designed to accommodate a certain work set. They could have just as easily bumped the 4.3 to 340 hp and the torque to 320 as the 3.6 hp to 280 and the torque to 310. Everyone know a larger engine will work less hard than a smaller engine, Does larger just mean truck engine now? The engineers probably just saw the trucks would do less work and these numbers better fit the bill with HP and refinement. Look at how flat the torque curve is in the new trucks...

The days of truck/car motors are long gone. Look at how many small diesels are put to work in both trucks and cars. They were talking about using the 2.8 in the Caddy for petes sake. Oh noes a truck diesel in a luxury car, the humanity!

Tyler

#32 ·

I do. The 4.3 has been identified as a truck engine, and as such belongs in trucks. The 3.6, on the other hand, is found in many cars and crossovers, and with a torque peak vvery high for a truck.
This entire thread is talking about a Denali trim not the base truck, the 4.3L isn't a power improvement for a Denali model.

#13 · (Edited)

Being the big Denali models get the 6.2L V8 should not the Mid-Sized Denali models get the 5.3L V8?? That would make a nice package! Then GMC could bring back the Syclone model of the Canyon with a lowered performance suspension and AWD and use the Turbo Cadillac 3.6L V6 tuned for 450+HP while Chevrolet could do a Colorado SS using the 6.2L LT1 with RWD!

#15 ·

Doesn't the Canyon already have AWD + locking center diff (not taking rear diff)? I thought that was the big difference on these. They call it Automatic Locking Transfer case? Details are sparse, but i know the TFL Truck review said the same thing where the GMC actually had a AWD choice vs the Canyon being more standard 4hi/2hi.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

"Autotrac transfer case — no other small or midsize pickup offers an automatic transfer case"

#19 ·

The 5.3 as an option in the Denali would be a fine choice.
That should be the engine.
Aldred is 100% right. Terrian Denali is a badge job and a bad joke. Don't do that again.

#22 ·

It can't be good for the full size truck sales to offer a V8 or Denali package on the midsizers, although I certainly understand the appeal.

Knowing GM they'll do the Denali package but not anything special with the powertrain... and that's probably fine.

I sat in a Colorado at the Big E state fair over the weekend. Really nice truck and I like the size although it feel closer to the Dakotas then the S-10 or Rangers.

#23 ·

Duncan Aldred is right, The Canyon does need a Denali model. I'm ok with it not being out at the start, but do feel like maybe they should have had some forethought there. This coming out with a statement like that now looks lame to me. I also believe that it had better have all the latest and greatest bells and whistles too, in both the drivetrain and standard/optional equipment area.

#25 ·

Well...since the GMC is a badge engineered Chevy, he does not want's a badge engineered vehicle of a badge engineered vehicle, but only one that is credibly badge engineered? Huh...what?! Does Duncan understand that Denali is just a trim level of a GMC and not a brand on to it self?

#27 ·

The Colorado Denali should have the 3.6L twin-turbo as the base with either (a) a single turbo or (b) detuned a few ponies to boost the torque figure again or (c) change the displacement slightly. Any option is find to offer some differentiation from the Cadillac CTS V-Sport engine.

The 8-speed would be expected as well as magnetic ride control.

How about doing something super unique, like including active fluid balancers in the wheels and on the drive shafts?

Aside from the requisite Denali upgrades, how about integrating a roll up tonneau cover in the bed with the unit storage being given a creative hiding place that does not take up any bed space?

#58 · (Edited)

The Colorado Denali should have the 3.6L twin-turbo as the base with either (a) a single turbo or (b) detuned a few ponies to boost the torque figure again or (c) change the displacement slightly. Any option is find to offer some differentiation from the Cadillac CTS V-Sport engine.

The 8-speed would be expected as well as magnetic ride control.

How about doing something super unique, like including active fluid balancers in the wheels and on the drive shafts?

Aside from the requisite Denali upgrades, how about integrating a roll up tonneau cover in the bed with the unit storage being given a creative hiding place that does not take up any bed space?
First off, it is the Canyon Denali and why "detune it"?

Who is going to cross shop a Canyon Denali with a ATS/CTS???

And if there are any, is it more than 3?

A Canyon Denali and either ATS or CTS is an apples to green beans comparison, GM needs to quit overthinking things like this.

#28 ·

Am I the only one that finds it funny when a GMC Executive says, "I'm not just going to badge engineer it?"

Honestly, the whole F***ing line of GMC's are badge engineered Chevy trucks. Let's be realistic, they do
look better -- but the whole division is just badge engineering.

#30 ·

None of the new GMC Canyon midsize pickups that began shipping to dealerships this month wears a Denali badge signifying the truck brand's high-end trim line.

GMC chief Duncan Aldred wants to change that.

"I'm pushing the engineers and designers to give me a credible Denali," Aldred told Automotive News during a Canyon media drive here last week.

"I'm going to sell quite a lot of Canyons, so that's kind of going to halt my progress" if the pickup doesn't eventually get a Denali version, Aldred said.

Denali models get cosmetic enhancements inside and out, such as a bolder grille and aluminum interior trim. They often get their own engines, such as a larger 6.2-liter V-8 in the redesigned '15 Yukon Denali. Aldred wouldn't tip his hand on what he'd like to see in a future Canyon version.

This guy is an idiot.

1. GMC is not "his" company, and "he" is not going to be selling a lot of them. Vice President of Sales Aldred appears to be an arrogant salesman who does not understand his very limited role in the design, engineering, production, sales and service of the Canyon. He's British, so you can imagine.

2. Bling it out all you want, a loaded up Canyon with a really big chrome grille, nice radio and wood steering wheel is still a badge engineered Colorado. You are not getting a unique vehicle, Mr. Aldred.

#33 ·

I'm sure that a Denali model was always in the plan for the new Canyon. This is just marketing, keeping the new mid size trucks and this guys name in the news.

#34 ·

I think most people are like me and consider a Denali as a fancy GMC. I have 2 neighbors that each have Yukon Denali simply because they wanted a large fancy SUV. They don't know and don't care if they are any different mechanically from a Chevy. Neither of them need a large SUV (one is a retired widow and the other is a mid 40s lady doctor with a couple of kids). I think most Denalis are sold to women or women had a major part in making the decision.

#62 ·

I think most people are like me and consider a Denali as a fancy GMC. I have 2 neighbors that each have Yukon Denali simply because they wanted a large fancy SUV. They don't know and don't care if they are any different mechanically from a Chevy. Neither of them need a large SUV (one is a retired widow and the other is a mid 40s lady doctor with a couple of kids). I think most Denalis are sold to women or women had a major part in making the decision.
You might want to check out the parking lots for the players of any major league sport, professional athletes buy a lot of Denalis and GMC products in general for their use and the model they picked. Just so happens that many of their "family vehicles" are also GMC products, so you might see their wives driving around in a GMC product as well.

#35 ·

The first thing I would like to know, is, which GM engines will fit in a Canyon? That might help narrow down what choices they could go with. So, they have a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder but does an 8-cylinder fit? I don't know!!

If the 8-cylinder doesn't fit then would they use a 4 or 6-cylinder engine in a Denali? Hopefully it would be a 6-cylinder. Ok, so if it is a 6, then what can they do with that engine to make it more premium for a Denali? Twin turbo's, a new tune, something else (like a GMC branded grill :rolleyes:)?

I think it should be more of a soft-roader with more gadgety, techy, stuff in it and then create a real All-Terrain positioned below the Denali with a small lift, tires, wheels, and skid plates like the Colorado Rally Concept. :eek:

#38 ·

The first thing I would like to know, is, which GM engines will fit in a Canyon? That might help narrow down what choices they could go with. So, they have a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder but does an 8-cylinder fit? I don't know!!

If the 8-cylinder doesn't fit then would they use a 4 or 6-cylinder engine in a Denali? Hopefully it would be a 6-cylinder. Ok, so if it is a 6, then what can they do with that engine to make it more premium for a Denali? Twin turbo's, a new tune, something else (like a GMC branded grill :rolleyes:)?

I think it should be more of a soft-roader with more gadgety, techy, stuff in it and then create a real All-Terrain positioned below the Denali with a small lift, tires, wheels, and skid plates like the Colorado Rally Concept. :eek:
Some GM official has said the ohv V8 fits. Makes sense to me since it fit in the S10 and this is bigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.