GM Inside News Forum banner

GM submits fresh trademark filing for GMC Granite

9K views 55 replies 39 participants last post by  GMTruckGuy74 
#1 ·
GM submits fresh trademark filing for GMC Granite
Left Lane News
By Justin King
Tuesday, Jun 2nd, 2015

Production rumors have surfaced several times in the past few years. GM North America president Mark Reuss added to the speculation in 2013 when he hinted at production plans for an "innovative portfolio entry" for GMC, with a new car-like model to slot below the Terrain.

Such an offering may have become a higher priority amid the ongoing success of the Buick Encore, which is the only Buick nameplate to achieve positive sales gains in the first five months of this year.

*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#3 ·
OK, it's nice to register a trademark, but the most important question is not "Where's the Beef", but Where's the Granite? How many years will we have to wait?

#18 · (Edited)
When the guy who runs GMC is gone then maybe there will be some excitement. Until then, it's boiled beef and warm beer...:)

Edit:

Here's the guy responsible for the continued delay of anything interesting like the Granite, Avenir, and HX:

#5 ·
Yes! Please do this GM...The concept was awesome and is exactly what the market is looking for right now. Bring it to market as close to the concept as you can get it and they fly off the shelves. GM think's the Encore is selling well? I guarantee the Granite would outsell it.

this is a no brainer and should have done years ago in all honesty.

#7 ·
This thing would sell near Terrain numbers....People love themselves some GMC, I would throw as much product at the brand as you can, until a model with a GMC badge isn't a seller, I would give them as much product as they can handle...

#33 ·
That's EXACTLY the kind of brand mismanagement that killed half of GM's brands in the first place.

When you have a badge that means something and earns money, and you start slapping it on anything you can sell, you dilute the brand. You're liquidating the capital that you have in that name. Now some people realize that and they say, "well, Pontiac etc. could be brought back as niche brands with 2-3 models and that would be the right way to do it". But how long before you're back down to rock bottom, gluing plastic cladding to a J-body...

Not that a very well done Granite built on Delta couldn't be a positive thing. But "XXX brand is hot; let's call everything that" is shortsighted and a painfully well-disproven strategy. Particularly at GM.

#15 ·
While the Granite concept was decidedly more car-like, i wouldn't be surprised if a production model goes after the incredibly popular Jeep Renegade.
We've been hearing that GMC wants a rugged off-roader unique to the brand and a name like Granite would be a good fit for such a vehicle.

#46 ·
I would have bought one like the concept (still would), really mean would buy one.

Still be interested if it was a Renegade competitor as I might buy one of those if GM keeps this game up.

No way would even consider an Encore or Trax as I do not like their styling (nothing wrong with it as both are attractive to their target markets, I am just not one of them)

#26 ·
The small crossover market is exploding. GMC can use something of its own as Mark Reuss has said. This thing is both very cool looking and practical, a very rare combination. I imagine there would be a new version of this platform or a new one, which can only help it be lighter and more solid.
That said, I do not believe that this will ever reach production, at least not without having all the coolness yanked out of it. Sad, as this is the right vehicle with the right timing.

#29 ·
I LOVED the Granite. Such a cool vehicle. If by chance GM puts it into production, I'm sure it will become something stupid like the Jeep Renegade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.