GM Inside News Forum banner

Future GMC Product May Hinge On Buick; "Something Fresh" One Year Away

12K views 92 replies 54 participants last post by  LARSONEM 
#1 ·
Wards Auto News

February 4, 2015

Article Quotes:

DETROIT – Duncan Aldred, U.S. vice president, Buick-GMC, confesses the iconic General Motors truck brand soon will add at least one more offering to its lineup, but says there are no plans to grow the profitable unit much beyond what it offers today.

“To grow to 5% (industry) market share, we will need one or two additions to the portfolio,” Aldred tells WardsAuto during a recent interview here. Aldred, who wants to expand the brand’s U.S. market penetration from 3% to 4% within five years and to 5% within 10 years, stops short of sharing details on the next GMC product but suggests something fresh could emerge as little as 12 months away.

“When you look at the portfolio, you start to think, ‘What niches are there?’ You could argue a third (CUV) between the Acadia and Terrain. But there is not much space,” he says.

One key consideration for future GMC products, oddly enough, hinges on Buick. The shared sales channel means both brands vie for showroom space and marketing dollars, neither of which are limitless – for GM or its dealers.

That means the next new product from GMC may not be so new after all. WardsAuto forecasts a redesigned Acadia in 2016 as a ’17 model, but as a slightly smaller edition of the 7-passenger CUV. The new Acadia would realign the Buick-GMC showroom to include four sizes of CUVs, with the large Buick Enclave at the top, followed by the shrunken Acadia, the midsize GMC Terrain and the compact Buick Encore.

“Too much product sometimes can be as bad as too little,” Aldred says of the showroom dilemma. “I think GMC has got it about right.”

“We are looking at portfolio options,” Aldred says, adding that whatever the next product is, it will not be half-baked. “It’s a truck brand and it’s a premium-truck brand. We’re not going to move away from that.”

The latest addition to the GMC portfolio has been a resounding success, Aldred claims. The Canyon midsize pickup and its Chevrolet Colorado platform mate cannot meet brisk demand.

“The momentum is phenomenal and we’re trying to think of creative ways to increase line rate, capacity, it’s a good problem to have,” he says.

Aldred expects a big year for GMC in 2015. The brand is coming off a year where it sold 501,853 vehicles, up 11.3% vs. year-ago. Average transaction prices ballooned 10%, and 21% of sales were highly profitable top-of-line Denali models.

Brand-building will be the primary driver, supported by greater advertising and marketing budgets. Aldred declines to say how much, but estimates spending will double. A key piece will be a television campaign the brand is wrapping up to air in the first quarter.

“It will really position GMC as a premium-truck brand,” Aldred says.

See less See more
#2 ·
That means the next new product from GMC may not be so new after all. WardsAuto forecasts a redesigned Acadia in 2016 as a ’17 model, but as a slightly smaller edition of the 7-passenger CUV. The new Acadia would realign the Buick-GMC showroom to include four sizes of CUVs, with the large Buick Enclave at the top, followed by the shrunken Acadia, the midsize GMC Terrain and the compact Buick Encore.

“Too much product sometimes can be as bad as too little,” Aldred says of the showroom dilemma. “I think GMC has got it about right.”
Amen. You know what - someone at GM really gets it.

So simple, but potentially so effective. Four different sized "passenger trucks" in the same showroom. Enclave > Acadia > Terrain > Encore. Just about perfect. As we read a few weeks ago, there really is no need for a GMC version of the Encore.

GMC is on a roll...both in product and profit ("21% of sales were highly profitable top-of-line Denali models"). Incredible.

Now what could that mystery vehicle coming in about a year be...Jeep Wrangler competitor perhaps? Is it time for a little "fun" at your local GMC dealership? Let's hope so.

#9 ·
So we're going to NOT grow the hell out of what is probably GM's strongest brand? Makes perfect sense to me.... I mean, look at the HUGE failure FCA has on their hands now that they're finally starting to elevate Jeep to the brand it should've always been. (Much sarcasm implied)

I guess I can get behind this a little bit... I mean, as long as GMC has a full line up and is making money. I understand that Buick and GMC are essentially considered one brand at 'the tubes'. But I can't help but think that this is an opportunity squandered.

Not to mention, I'm kind of tired of the "premium brand" talk... I mean, I'm glad GM is doing this (to give GMC true purpose and better differentiate it from Chevrolet). BUT, they need to be careful because 1) Chevrolet is sniffing in premium brand territory with the High Country and fully loaded SUVs. And then there's Escalade. Which could, and should eventually IMO, become it's own Range Rover-style brand.

#15 ·
i agree...but I am beginning to think they are not going to sell the Envision here. i traded my Enclave for a Terrain last summer wanting something smaller. I just don't care for it...I miss the more comfortable, more quiet Buick. if no Envision then I will have to go another company for a mid-size CUV.

#16 ·
I am pretty much convinced that GMC is going the wrong direction. They have the complete potential to turn GMC into a more reliable version of a luxuary off-road SUV brand like Range Rover. All of the GMC offerings are already offered by other GM brands. They are getting redundant with GMC.

I would love to see some luxuary off-road offerings from GMC.

#22 ·
Agree to a point. I think it would work if GMC doesn't step on Caddy's toes.

It can only avoid that if really ups the off-road prowess since Caddy's SUVs will be car based more like BMW. I'm thinking Denali SUV on the Canyon frame. A little more decked-out than a Grand Cherokee.

I really don't think it can happen given GM's mental density. They'll try to straddle some line and create a niche and fail miserably. Then they can justify why they never try anything new. Professional Grade and Wrangler Competitor just don't go together.

#17 ·
I think what GMC needs is a REAL RWD based full framed SUV smaller then the Yukon that is NOT shared with Chevrolet! This along with a Jeep Wrangler competitor using perhaps a shortened version of the same frame again not shared with Chevy would make GMC more unique as a brand! They and Buick have the Crossover thing covered so GMC needs more REAL TRUCK Variants! This new premium focused Envoy to compete with the Jeep Grand Cherokee and large Land/Range Rover models would fill the bill nicely! And a more modern HUMMER like Wrangler Competitor would give GMC the off road cred it could use as well!

#18 ·
Premium truck brand. I thought GMC didn't want to be known as a truck brand. How long has it been since "truck" was dropped from their name? 10 years? I like the GMC Buick dealer consolidation. It works better than the Canadian system of Chev/Buick/GMC and sometimes Cadillac. Too much overlap.

#82 ·
I thought GMC didn't want to be known as a truck brand. How long has it been since "truck" was dropped from their name? 10 years?
GMC hasn't used the word truck in their name since the 1998 model year. So, 17 years.

Is the Granite really a dead idea, or still under somewhat (long) consideration/development?
I thought I read that it was officially given the thumbs down years ago.

#19 ·
I am curious about the Acadia's new direction and future.

Business case, I can see the Acadia shrinks to make room against the Encore, but it, the Acadia, sells so well as-is. What other changes are being made to it? When can we see this?

This does not seem to bode well for the Envision to make it to the US. There would be product overlap then, as suggested.

I am excited to see the future of the GMC brand, especially so close-knit to Buick. But, if GMC and Buick are to remain side-by-side in showroom as essentially one brand, and GMC is a "premium" truck brand, why brand any cross-over or suv a Buick. Make Buick's cars and GMC the S/Cuv's, (I know its because Buick is too profitable just wanted to put it out there). That would open the door to a Regal wagon and All-road.

#26 · (Edited)
I am probably in the minority here but just my opinion. I think the (Jeep Wrangler fighter) should be a Chevy and NOT a GMC.
I do not believe a cheap car like a wrangler should be a GMC. Chevy has much more dealerships and can absorb a vehicle like a Wrangler. I think GMC should get a Grand Cherokee fighter, but only a luxurious one. Leave the lower level Grand Cherokee fighter to Chevy.
What I mean is this...Chevy will go after the lower level GC and the Toyota 4-Runner with the Chevy Trail Blazer and the GMC Envoy, will be way more refined and much more luxurious (especially the Denali version)
They both need to look way different with different interiors all together. Just like they were back in the day, when GM couldn't make them fast enough. Make them 5 seaters only.
Chevy will go for the Sport and off Road crowd and GMC will go for the Luxury with off road capability (Like Land Rover but cheaper)

#36 ·
I think the (Jeep Wrangler fighter) should be a Chevy and NOT a GMC.
I do not believe a cheap car like a wrangler should be a GMC.
The Wrangler is not a cheap car. Have you looked at prices lately? I imagine since GMC is a "premium" truck brand they will only sell the equivalent of a Wrangler Unlimited with a strong list of standard features. I see it starting at $29,999. If that sells like hotcakes, bringing in a 2 door variant with less features for $24,999 might be step 2. ATP will likely be higher than Terrain.

#30 · (Edited)
This is so stupid, I mean you have your most profitable brand and you are holding it back from further sales? They need at least 3 new models plus update to the Range. Have they not learned their lesson with the Malibu about selling a successful vehicle with a follow up that is smaller in size. They should expand the Acadia to mimic the Envoy then. Have a regular smaller Envoy & then a larger Envoy XL. These product managers just do not get it.

This is what is needed.

1.) Grand Cherokee Competitor
2.) Wrangler Competitor
3.) Land Rover Range Rover Sport Competitor
4.) Syclone
5.) All-Terrain (Avalance Style)
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

These models will not overlap with Buick offerings. Added bonus GMC has a product that is unique and carry increasingly higher ATP's

Not to mention this can all be done by Platform and Power-train sharing.
Also Every I mean Every GMC should have two premium badges, "Denali" and "All-Terrain"

#38 ·
This is so stupid, I mean you have your most profitable brand and you are holding it back from further sales? They need at least 3 new models plus update to the Range. Have they not learned their lesson with the Malibu about selling a successful vehicle with a follow up that is smaller in size. They should expand the Acadia to mimic the Envoy then. Have a regular smaller Envoy & then a larger Envoy XL. These product managers just do not get it.

This is what is needed.

1.) Grand Cherokee Competitor
2.) Wrangler Competitor
3.) Land Rover Range Rover Sport Competitor
4.) Syclone
5.) All-Terrain (Avalance Style)
View attachment 27698

These models will not overlap with Buick offerings. Added bonus GMC has a product that is unique and carry increasingly higher ATP's

Not to mention this can all be done by Platform and Power-train sharing.
Also Every I mean Every GMC should have two premium badges, "Denali" and "All-Terrain"
This. Times like a million billion. Js! Lol :D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

#32 ·
Ever since the Rendezvous disappeared I've been asking for a "barely 3 row" crossover. I think there is a real market for something that is used by 5 passengers or less 95% of the time, with the occasional need to carry 7-8 people for a short trip. We use that dual-sided nature of our Rendezvous often enough. When the 3rd row is folded I haul firewood, supplies from Home Depot, plants from the nursery, etc.

Shrinking Acadia slightly as long as it keeps a 3rd row option is perfect for our needs. It ought to land somewhere around 190" in length if they keep Enclave at current size and split the difference with Envision.

#33 ·
IMO GMC needs two more products and then you can leave it alone...

1. Granite (small CUV that fits under the Terrain, personally, I think it would sell great if you don't change it much from the concept)

2. Wrangler competitor (make it bada$$ and people will buy it, not to mention it could produce huge profits.)

full line-up

Granite
Terrain
Acadia
Wrangler competitor
Yukon
Sierra
Canyon

I would be very very happy with a GMC line up like that and I think the profits would flood in.

#34 ·
I don't remember what platform the Granite concepts were based on, but if they were ever so slightly bigger; I would love to be able to get the CPU version. I thought it was the Cruz, so if it was more in line with the Malibu wheelbase...Was available with a 300ish H.P. turbo I-4 and the twin turbo V-6 and AWD...awesome.

#37 ·
Envision will be the new Lacrosse. Cascada will launch (already announced).

Buick Adam will be one likely possibility but I don't think it will launch until after the MCE in 2017ish.

GMC may add a version of the Chevy express van built by Nissan. Or it could go for something better from their European arsenal. They could also replace the ancient Savanna with something that can compete with the likes of Transit and Sprinter.

A Raptor contender is also a possibility but that is a niche vehicle.

I'm hoping the rumors of a Wrangler fighter based on the old Hummer design. Jeep has no real competition in their price zone.

Also an Encore sized rugged, boxy SUV/CUV shouldn't compete too much with the Encore which is more refined, elegant and sexy.

#60 ·
Something about the headline makes me wonder this direction: Envision and like you say, something Encore sized only much more BUTCH because after all it is GMC. I still think they should've done the Granite thing in both SUV and trucklette. They also NEED the Wrangler competitor too.

#47 ·
Coupla thoughts....

So he is saying that GMC may get a new product.....and wait for it.....it would be a truck. Stop The Presses! J/K;) Hope it's something cool, like the Granite or Wrangler.

Taking the Acadia down to a non-third row crossover would be supremely stupid, IMO, BTW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.