GM Inside News Forum banner

Canyon Denali Spied

14K views 50 replies 37 participants last post by  BahamaTodd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Inevitable GMC Canyon Denali spotted testing
Autoblog
February 16, 2015
By: Chris Bruce

Practically every other model in the GMC lineup already offers a more luxurious Denali option, so why not extend that to the Canyon midsize pickup? It's hardly a surprise to see the brand doing just that, especially since the standard model seems to be proving quite a success.

Full article available at the link.

See less See more
#23 ·
If you were here in my office, you'd see me not holding my breath. This will end up just like the Acadia and Terrain. Cosmetic tweaks and some badges for an additional $3-5K.

#3 ·
If it is going to be a Denali, GM is likely to just fill this thing up with upscale options, give it some sort of upscale appearance package, and then add options that are not available on any other Canyon.

What they will probably not do are the very things I would want in a Denali Canyon (truth be told, I won't be in a market for anything like this, so what I think doesn't count at all to the 'bean-counters')
-Give it more power, even it is just a little more horsepower, give it something.
-Get bigger wheels on it, for appearance sake.

#6 ·
Sounds like a $40-50k midsize truck, yikes.

#8 ·
The Terrain Denali starts at $35,xxx and tops out right at $48,000. So I don't think that price range for a premium level mid-size pickup if they can charge the same for a compact CUV.

#7 ·
If they are going to offer a Denali trim/content package on the Canyon... I would hope they would offer a more level suspension setup to bring that tail down. That is the only thing I wish GM would do better with their upper trim. Otherwise, this will be an awesome thing to bring to the GMC fold. Just waiting for the ZR2-inspired package to come out with that mini-max!

#11 ·
Agree

While I would really like to see a V8 in the Canyon Denali the 455 HP 3.6 TT from the ATS-V will do.

Really like to see a new GMC Syclone with the 455 HP 3.6 TT from the ATS-V connected to the 6-Speed manual with the same 3.73 Gears with optional 8-Speed.

Canyon Scylone would also have a Denali trim with the MRC suspension, Brembo brakes and unique wheel/tires

Denali could then use either the same V6 with 8-speed Manual or step-up to an all new S/C or TT 4.3L V8 or just use the 5.3L or 6.2L,.

Guess is that GM will go with the 3.6TT in the Denali with the CTS V-Sport tune of 420 HP.

Also need to offer the Turbo-Diesel as an option.

All Denali trims need to have a premium package added with features like MRC and/or Adjustable Air for a variety of ride heights as well as brake upgrades like Brembo brakes, interiors need more choices of colors/materials as well as infotainment upgrades.

Canyon needs an H3-T model as well complete with trim topping Denali trim.

This would give the Canyon (4) Denali trims with Canyon Denali, Denali Premium, Syclone Denali and H3-T (Alpha) Denali.

#13 ·
I watched a near 70 year old man struggling to climb into his new Z71 Colorado with no step bars. Immediately I saw the need for standard step bars on the range topping Colorado, but then again will it ultimately be the range topping model? Luxury trim models need step bars. Even better, retractable step bars. Add in HUD, LED exterior lighting, maybe power tailgate, and chrome. To me, unique engines aren't needed for the Denali. But 8 or 10 speed transmissions I can see, all before going across all trims. The truth is, the full sized trucks need these thing in their Denali and High Country models.

#16 ·
The Denali will hopefully have a lot of upgrades to make it a real specialty version of the truck, as well as stuff like upgraded leather and real wood. I'm guessing this will be LFX only but I'd like to see it add the 5.3L V-8 or a twin-turbo V-6 and phase the 8AT into the rest of the lineup.

#24 ·
Seems to be missing the GMC logo on the tailgate. Maybe they are going to do the RAM thing and place DENALI in big chrome letters across the back.LOL.
I like the Canyon/Colorado and will most likely get one next year. I just wish they installed an adjustable center head rest for the back seat. For ALL their vehicles in fact.

#25 ·
I wish the entire Denali line had engine upgrades. The 3.6 TT would work nicely because all the vehicles that need it already house the 3.6 NA. Just imagine the Acadia, Canyon and Terrain with 420 HP. That would make the Denali line a lot more differentiated than just a chrome grille. Back in 2002 the only way to get the 6.0 in a Yukon was to upgrade to the Denali.

#29 ·
I tend to think that this will get expensive, so I don't think I will be in the market for one.

But, it seems that they will need to get some features in there like sunroof and memory seats. If they get these working, they should offer them on SLT and All Terrain as well.

I really want memory seats.

#30 ·
as long as its more than just a trim package.

features like the HUD helps sell the arcadia denali. but there is not enough features in the terrain denali like that to move those

#31 ·
Spied: 2016 GMC Canyon Denali

Spied: 2016 GMC Canyon Denali

"We've gotten our first look at a prototype for the GMC Canyon Denali package, which was running on a secluded industrial drive near GM's Milford Proving Grounds.

The Canyon prototype's camouflaged front end hides a revised all-mesh grille design that is consistent with GMC's other Denali-trimmed models. Although blacked out on this prototype, the grilles will surely be finished in unmistakable brightwork to set it apart from lesser Canyon variants. The Denali's front bumper is also camouflaged, and it appears that it may be more chrome-intensive, with signs of the reflective stuff stretching across the full bumper's width. The interior shows signs of camouflaging, suggesting that some interior upgrades could also be in store.

There have been some internet rumblings that the Denali might get a unique engine option to give the model more substance, but we have no firm confirmation of the extent of any mechanical upgrades that may distinguish the range-topping Denali from its lower-end Canyon siblings.
"
PickupTrucks.com

#32 ·
Re: Spied: 2016 GMC Canyon Denali

I just realized I made a repost after the fact. :eek: Please delete.

#37 ·

There have been some internet rumblings that the Denali might get a unique engine option to give the model more substance, but we have no firm confirmation of the extent of any mechanical upgrades that may distinguish the range-topping Denali from its lower-end Canyon siblings
The automotive forums will howl in protest if it's simply offered with the same engines as the current trims. GM should just hold this back a year if they can't come out of the gate swinging.

#41 ·

The automotive forums will howl in protest if it's simply offered with the same engines as the current trims. GM should just hold this back a year if they can't come out of the gate swinging.
Probably a diesel, like the Colorado.

Keep the pushbutton start, it doesn't do a thing for me. A 5.3L/8-speed drivetrain on the other hand. . .
It should be standard across the board. It's not an expensive feature and it lends a more modern feel to your car.

Plus your keychain won't snap it and throw your car into accessory mode, killing 50+ people.

Honestly, I really don't like the new Denali grills. They look more like cheap punched sheet metal, than something premium.

I think the existing grills on the Yukon, Sierra, Terrain and Canyon are perfect GMC, and have more more of a premium look.
I think the old GMC Denali grilles were beyond stupid. THOSE looked like punched sheet metal, in my opinion. I half expected a stock grille to be one of those ugly aftermarket ones with flames or a skull or BOTH cut out of it.

The current base grilles look about 10x classier, in my opinion. Denali looks a bit better since it's marginally more textured.

#48 ·

Keep the pushbutton start, it doesn't do a thing for me. A 5.3L/8-speed drivetrain on the other hand. . .
Honestly, and it would likely fit - the 4.3 / 8-speed would be awesome in this vehicle. High torque, displacement on demand, 8 gears - it would be a nice combo in a truck that size and weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.