GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 GMC Canyon Long-Term Review: Fuel Economy

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pinyon 
#1 ·

Our 2015 GMC Canyon tester, outfitted with the 3.6-liter V6 and four-wheel drive, is officially rated to burn 17 MPG in the city and 24 on the highway for a combined rating of 20 MPG.

That puts the Canyon ahead of its biggest competition, the V6-powered Tacoma, by two MPG combined, and only one MPG above the V6-powered GMC Sierra. Opt for a 5.3-liter V8 in the Sierra and the gap grows to a two-MPG advantage for the Canyon.

In a recent interview, Ram CEO Bob Hegbloom said that for a midsize truck to work for his brand, there would have to be a solid five-MPG advantage over its half-ton sibling, or else there would be too much overlap between the trucks. Apparently GM disagrees.

One of the major selling points on midsize trucks and smaller vehicles in general is the fuel economy advantage. So how does the Canyon stack up in the real world?

Over the total of 5882 miles I put on the truck to date, the trip computer reads an average of 17.4 MPG.

This calculation began the day the truck was picked up and includes all sorts of different usage, like regularly towing a 4,500-lb snowmobile trailer, commuting through dense city traffic, hauling a 6,300-lb Airstream, hauling my snowmobile to and from trails and more. It’s also probably worth mentioning that the truck did all of that through one of the coldest winters in recent memory.

I’ve been working this truck damn hard, hence the three MPG gap between our average and the EPA’s. But I also haven’t done anything an owner wouldn’t, so take this number as a representation of what you can expect if you work your Canyon like a proper truck (and it’s damn cold outside, like -30F cold).

Realizing you might not tow or haul as much as me, I also put the truck through a few specific fuel economy tests that represent different scenarios.

On a recent 100-mile highway run, with the cruise control set consistently at 68 MPH, I achieved ...
For the rest of this story, 2015 GMC Canyon Long-Term Review: Fuel Economy please visit AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
Over the total of 5882 miles I put on the truck to date, the trip computer reads an average of 17.4 MPG.
Just an FYI - The 2014-15 Silverado 1500, 5.3 4x4 Crew Cab has been averaging around 17 mpg. Fuelly - 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Mileage. In addition, I talked with the owner of a similar '13 Silverado, and he's getting an average of 17mpg as well.

Most likely my next vehicle will be the Silverado. Somewhat reassuring that the mpg difference shouldn't be too much different.

#3 ·
You've always got to take the drivers vs testers MPG with a grain of salt. The fuelly numbers for the Colorado average out to 2MPG difference as well.

Plus, the CC twins were never there to really get better MPG. They are just a smaller truck for those that want a truck but dont want a full size. If you have the space, get a full size as the penalty isnt bad.

#5 ·
I don't know how it is with the current generation of the 3.6 but in a Saturn Aura I got horrible mileage for the first 1K miles and then it gradually improved. I always see some breakin improvement but nothing even close to the Saturn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.